Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a garda give you a fixed penalty notice in the post after they said it was a warn

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

_Brian wrote: »
    My experience is that the guards only throw out this sort of conviction when there is some justification for it. I’ve nothing against OP, but overall I’ve only found the guards on the road to be professionals.

+1

As Peregrinus stated the charge generally requires other people to be present or at least nearby (they could be indoors for example), it is appropriate for a "nuisance" driver.

There could be more to this, perhaps something the OP is unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jasonrwc

I honestly dont know. It was in a cul de sac well at the top of it. It happened about 20 doors down from where i live. There was noone else on the street and as there was a 90 degree turn that the garda came around i couldnt have seen them before i overtook the cars. They asked me was i on my phone or what was i doing and when i said i wasnt they asked had i taken anything i said i hadnt and then they searched my car found nothing and asked if i learned my lesson i said i had and he said fine we are giving you a warning this time but drive safer in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

jasonrwc wrote: »
    I honestly dont know. It was in a cul de sac well at the top of it. It happened about 20 doors down from where i live. There was noone else on the street and as there was a 90 degree turn that the garda came around i couldnt have seen them before i overtook the cars. They asked me was i on my phone or what was i doing and when i said i wasnt they asked had i taken anything i said i hadnt and then they searched my car found nothing and asked if i learned my lesson i said i had and he said fine we are giving you a warning this time but drive safer in the future.

I know it seems unlikely given you mention a cul-de-sac but any chance you were going the wrong way on a one way road. Can you post a google map link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

maybe they got it wrong and thought you were on a mobile, I've heard of similar cases were police confused another object for a mobile

no i definitely wasn't going the wrong way down a one way street. It is on the street i live on and have done for years so i know my way around it.

No they knew i wasn't on my phone and had nothing in my hand as i had stopped about 15 meters from them while they were in their car and then they waved me on. When i was going past them the driver rolled down his window and then the passenger got out.

I thought because there was 3 of them and one seemed fairly new the others were just showing him how to be an asshole and inconvenience people. I even asked him at one stage what was going on as i had been there for a good while and he shook his head and said "I honestly dont know"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

no i definitely wasn't going the wrong way down a one way street. It is on the street i live on and have done for years so i know my way around it.

No they knew i wasn't on my phone and had nothing in my hand as i had stopped about 15 meters from them while they were in their car and then they waved me on. When i was going past them the driver rolled down his window and then the passenger got out.

I thought because there was 3 of them and one seemed fairly new the others were just showing him how to be an asshole and inconvenience people. I even asked him at one stage what was going on as i had been there for a good while and he shook his head and said "I honestly dont know"

it does sound like they did in fact see you coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

what i find most strange is the car search.

Most guards will give a FPN and send someone on their way, not waste time by doing a thorough search of the vehicle.

Out of curiosity op what car do you drive and what area do you live in?

I live in Dublin 4 and drive an 10 year old polo. Its not at all a boy racer type car.

GM228 wrote: »
    How on earth is he creating a reasonable doubt to his abilities?

Again there is no evidenve of a lie, people change their minds all the time, reflection is a wonderful thing.

But imagine the scenario (as was mentioned earlier as a possible way of getting out of it if the guard admitted he changed his mind)

Judge: As the defendent says did you tell him he could leave with a warning?

Guard: Yes i said he could leave with a warning but then a day later i changed my mind and fined him instead.

Granted its not evidence of a lie per say but admitting the above would confirm ops story and would explain why he didnt pay the fine and went to court as he felt he was aggreived

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

What road did this happen on, posters maybe able to understand it more.

• Advertisement

sexmag wrote: »
    But imagine the scenario (as was mentioned earlier as a possible way of getting out of it if the guard admitted he changed his mind)

More like this...

Guard: Yes, I issued him a warning, but, and I stress I did not tell him he would not also receive a FCPN, there is no requirement of such to be made to an accused, the accused has simply assumed he would not receive a FCPN.

Judge: As is long established since time immemorial members of AGS have complete discretion when it comes to their prosecutorial or investigatory functions, also it should be noted that they owe no duty of care to those accused either to put their mind at ease. As such I see no wrong in this instance with the actions of the Guard and therefore I convict. I sentence the accused to 40 lashings, 10 hail marys, 5 our fathers and 100 lines. :)

GM228 wrote: »
    More like this...

Guard: Yes, I issued him a warning, but, and I stress I did not tell him he would not also receive a FCPN, there is no requirement of such to be made to an accused, the accused has simply assumed he would not receive a FCPN.

Judge: As is long established since time immemorial members of AGS have complete discretion when it comes to their prosecutorial or investigatory functions, also it should be noted that they owe no duty of care to those accused either to put their mind at ease. As such I see no wrong in this instance with the actions of the Guard and therefore I convict. I sentence the accused to 40 lashings, 10 hail marys, 5 our fathers and 100 lines. :)

I conceded ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

what did you do wrong Op? your story is very hard to understand what you might have done wrong, Also, stop describing it as "overtaking" if they are parked, then you are just "driving"

Squatman wrote: »
    what did you do wrong Op? your story is very hard to understand what you might have done wrong, Also, stop describing it as "overtaking" if they are parked, then you are just "driving"

I honestly don't know. They tried to say I was too far over on the road when I driving past the parked cars and therefore called it driving without due care

would the "FCN Cancellation Request Form" on the garda website be any use in this situation or is it just a case of paying or going to court does anyone know?

would the "FCN Cancellation Request Form" on the garda website be any use in this situation or is it just a case of paying or going to court does anyone know?

You can request a Category B cancellation, but there is no guarantee it would be a success.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Fixed-Charge-Notices/Cancelling-Fixed-Charge-Notices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

I honestly don't know. They tried to say I was too far over on the road when I driving past the parked cars and therefore called it driving without due care

You should definitely talk to the garda who issued the points. Might have his wires crossed from looking over his notes

Advertisement