Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gathering to Mark 3rd Anniversary of Clerys Closure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nermal wrote: »
    Sites inside the M50 left unoccupied for over a year should be seized and auctioned off. Land is a scarce resource, it needs to be utilised.

You’d swear it was central Tokyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The_B_Man wrote: »
    some of the locals would get jobs, which would hopefully restore some pride and reduce anti-social behaviour.

Lol.
    These people have lived in a city centre, surrounded by potential places to work for donkeys years. If they havent got jobs by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Did Bang Bang show up??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

neris wrote: »
    Did Bang Bang show up??

Lugs Brannigan scared him off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Birneybau wrote: »
    Lugs Brannigan scared him off

Joe Duffy must have been crying into his coddle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nermal wrote: »
    Sites inside the M50 left unoccupied for over a year should be seized and auctioned off. Land is a scarce resource, it needs to be utilised.

Why is the M50 seen as the be all and end all as a boundrary for development within Dublin? It was meant to direct people around the city, not focus business development within it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Interesting that IKEA are said to be looking into acquiring the site. I think that'd be great for the street and employment in the city.

humberklog wrote: »
    Interesting that IKEA are said to be looking into acquiring the site. I think that'd be great for the street and employment in the city.

Great for the street because in no way it would increase traffic to an unsustainable level?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think Ikea would be a pretty bad tenant IMHO - I think it needs to be something more high-end. I thought the plan anyway was that there would be a few different places on the ground floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I think Ikea would be a pretty bad tenant IMHO - I think it needs to be something more high-end. I thought the plan anyway was that there would be a few different places on the ground floor?

I don't think it would be big enough for an Ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

IKEA!??? May as well just stick a Lidl in there while we're at it.

While what I've read it only mentions Ikea in the building but on the radio this morning it was put as though they'd be a main shop in a mixed project. However it's all very speculative as apparently Ikea are pretty secretive in such matters.

It wouldn't make much sense to be selling large flat packs for take away so probably an order and delivery job if it does happen.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Great for the street because in no way it would increase traffic to an unsustainable level?

Not with you Birneybau, wouldn't any business increase traffic in same way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

'I have recently become involved in a voluntary society that aims to bring O’Connell Street back to some degree of class and respectability'

God loves a trier! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It wouldn't make much sense to be selling large flat packs for take away so probably an order and delivery job if it does happen.
    Sounds like it would have to be a showroom and delivery order setup. Dunno if they already do that type of thing and it doesn't fit with the business/location model/brand. Big home fit out stuff outlets are mostly out of the city these days.

tricky D wrote: »
    Sounds like it would have to be a showroom and delivery order setup. Dunno if they already do that type of thing and it doesn't fit with the business/location model/brand. Big home fit out stuff outlets are mostly out of the city these days.

They've the order and collection in Carrickmines. What was said today was it could operate as an order and deliver for larger items or large amounts.

I really don't see it as a bad thing. They're pretty good to work for apparently and their minimum pay runs in line with the living wage recommendation which for jobs in retail is good.

Not with you Birneybau, wouldn't any business increase traffic in same way?

I just meant that the majority of them are out of city centres due to most people driving there and loading up with the flat pack furniture. It's not the same as heading into town for a pair of jeans or whatever.

Advertisement