Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Waltzing Matilda, test 1 build up thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clear knock-on? What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why can't he show that angle?!?!?

TMO must have had Aus on the alternative spread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Give the try.

No knock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

lawred2 wrote: »
    Too predictable. One out runners. Easily defended all game.

No depth in attack

This in about our attack.

Not our strongest 15 granted, but will not have that in the WC. Very poor today, taken out of the comfort of the Aviva and we've been outclassed. Oz cut us open once they get the ball. 3 tries to 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Stander not touching down and Sexton missing the kick to touch cost this game.

Joe also got this very wrong today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If he can see a knock on, he should see that Stander grounded the ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭A-Train

There is no knock on there that’s a farce.

The ref didn’t even question, shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I mean that's absolutely fair enough. Try for both teams ruled about by extreme TMO involvement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Awful performance.

Doubly disappointing because it showed all the old failings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

molloyjh wrote: »
    Also, our bench is pretty awesome and is light years ahead of theirs. All the starting XV really need to do is stay in the game for 60 mins.

You're so rarely wrong molloy, I'll have to print this out and frame it :D

Ireland's strength is being an extremely well-drilled side with world class halves, a top class TH and a very very promising lock. What you'd give for Kurtley Beale or similar though in the backs. Ringrose has to come straight back in for sure and ditto for Leavy.

2nd test should be a cracker - all or nothing for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Wait, what? Where was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »
    the result doesn't matter overall we were the best team on the pitch. Good building for RWC

What game are you watching?
    Ireland vs Australia 7's :p
    No seriously we were ok overall except crucial mistakes

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We were gash. Best team won.

Change of personnel required next week. We need something to deal more effectively with their breakdown work. Some of the clearouts today were pathetic.

Clegg wrote: »
    Where's the knock on?

In the technology that the TMO has, didn't you hear? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

The Limerick accent came pouring out of Murray there!

I don't really blame him for having a cut off the ref there. It was a really woeful piece of officiating that effectively ended the game because we'd no chance of scoring twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Bench was very disappointing. The lads in the starting team supposedly getting a bit of game time outperformed the lads they replaced

Did you think? Thought we imporoved once we goit the front row on. Herring was decent at the lineout but you miss Best being like an extra loose forward around the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Bench was very disappointing. The lads in the starting team supposedly getting a bit of game time outperformed the lads they replaced

This is very true.
    That's as bad as we've played in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

James Ryan is a busted flush

** not serious **

• Advertisement

Ah lads he clearly loses control of the ball before he plays it back, pretty clear to me. Just extremely particular from the TMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Weepsie wrote:
    If he can see a knock on, he should see that Stander grounded the ball!

Did Stander ground it. It looked like he rolled it onto the Australian player. Necer looked like it touched grass in any of the shots I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

2 tries blown apiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Better team won, but anal from the TMO at the end

It looks like it rolls forward twice, but both times it's still clearly in the players possession. That's brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Jeez the optics of that are all wrong. A guy with an Aussie accent insisting he can see a clear knock on but we're not allowed to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I mean that's absolutely fair enough. Try for both teams ruled about by extreme TMO involvement!

But Australia actually did something wrong? I cant see what the TMO saw to disallow that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Weepsie wrote: »
    It looks like it rolls forward twice, but both times it's still clearly in the players possession. That's brutal.

That was my read it was forward on the ground but in control. No different (or worse) to pococks in first half.

I lack of try in third quarter really hurt us.

Pocock just delivered one of the most dominant performances I've seen in a long time. Quite exceptional.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Did Stander ground it. It looked like he rolled it onto the Australian player. Necer looked like it touched grass in any of the shots I saw.

I know. It's inconclusive. Too many bodies around him to be sure, but it looked like he got it between them eventually, but you can't give that.

I'm more on the point, that there is no conclusive evidence of a knock on there. Absolutely none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

baas baa wrote: »
    Jeez the optics of that are all wrong. A guy with an Aussie accent insisting he can see a clear knock on but we're not allowed to look.

Thats a NZ accent.

• Advertisement

Is Leavy fit again? He absolutely has to start next week if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have footage of Stander grounding the ball but I am not showing you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Where's the knock on?
    Had to say something to not give the try. Never mind Stockdale releasing and picking up again or the block right before their try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Basil3 wrote: »
    Where's the knock on?

In the technology that the TMO has, didn't you hear? :pac:

Technology aka his imagination

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭fitz

awec wrote: »
    We were gash. Best team won.

Change of personnel required next week. We need something to deal more effectively with their breakdown work. Some of the clearouts today were pathetic.

Hard to clear out someone who dives in off feet and then props themselves up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No knock on there. Would've been important psychologically for Ireland to score a try there but somehow the video ref denied them the score. It can't be acceptable for the video ref to say the angle I have there is a clear knock on. Disgraceful decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

corny wrote: »
    baas baa wrote: »

Thats a NZ accent.

Clear and obvious??

awec wrote: »
    Is Leavy fit again? He absolutely has to start next week if so.
    Supposed to be fit, wasn't warming up tonight those supposedly.

Leavy is not the answer to stopping Pocock though. That's the tight 5's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Pocock just delivered one of the most dominant performances I've seen in a long time. Quite exceptional.

In all aspects of the game. Knew he was great on the ground but his tackling today......

The tin foil hat stuff is a bit embarrassing.

The no try at the end had absolutely no material impact on the game. No point whinging about it.

• Advertisement

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I have footage of Stander grounding the ball but I am not showing you

Is that hidden in the technology has as well?

It is a bit ridiculous if the TMO has access to angles that aren't shown on TV.

Ah lads he clearly loses control of the ball before he plays it back, pretty clear to me. Just extremely particular from the TMO.
    It wasn't clear at all. What are talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

crisco10 wrote: »
    That was my read it was forward on the ground but in control. No different to pococks
    There was some pretty one-sided refereeing in the second half to put it mildly (not intentional though, see the called back try after Aki's error) but we simply were poor today, got outplayed and disturbingly, for the first time in a while got completely outmuscled. I guess some of that could go down to it being such a long, grueling season for many out there today.

The try after Kearney's error in the first half really, really shifted momentum quickly and we never recovered. It was a test of our will/depth/inventiveness which was a great situation to be in/practice for leading into next year, but we really did come up very short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fitz wrote: »
    Hard to clear out someone who dives in off feet and then props themselves up quickly.

Saw a lot of lads shouldering their way into clearances with arms down by their sides..

I know this stuff happens at pace but seriously

But Australia actually did something wrong? I cant see what the TMO saw to disallow that one.

Breakdown before the first attempt over the line there was a knock on from one of our lads, before he played the ball back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Balls undefeated streak ended but we still have a chance to save the series next weekend

Austraila are not as bad as there made out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Very disappointing. All of our weaknesses were clear to see today. On that showing, the AB's have little to fear in the world cup. 6 Nations and European rugby dominance is one thing, but playing in the SH is the real measure of where we are. Chastening.

Heaslip talking about the huge impact our bench made. I must have missed that.

corny wrote: »
    Thats a NZ accent.

The way to tell is: In Australia they say caaahr. In NZ they say caahr*

Basil3 wrote: »
    Is that hidden in the technology has as well?

It is a bit ridiculous if the TMO has access to angles that aren't shown on TV.
    He doesn't. That's a joke decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Australia the better team tactically. They snuffed out the one off runners, and we couldn't get effective phases going.

Having said that, those calls in the last 10 minutes were unbelievable to take. Could still have nicked it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement