Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Waltzing Matilda, test 1 build up thread.

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

‘The lead up to the 70th minute’ makes it sound like we were pipped at the post.
    That’s not an accurate reflection of the match.

And yet it’s a 100% factual statement.....

You don’t seem to want to factor in that it’s the end of a long season for us. That we’rebaway from home. That Australia played well.

Is there still a dip in performance when we make changes? Yes. Is that exactly why we’re making those changes now? Yes. If there was no dip in performance at this stage there would be no need to work on our depth. That we are is a clear attempt to address the issue you’re talking about, which isn’t as bad as you’re making it out to be.

Like I said, you’re missing the point. The point is to improve our depth now when these games count for nothing. It isn’t that the issue has gone away, it’s specifically that the issue hasn’t gone away. And we’re still working to correct that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Did that tackle materially impact on the try?

Doesn't matter, it was foul play off the ball which means the play goes back to the spot of that foul regardless of the outcome of what happened afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Doesn't matter, it was foul play off the ball which means the play goes back to the spot of that foul regardless of the outcome of what happened afterwards.

Grand. So that means Australian weren’t better than Ireland.

molloyjh wrote: »
    And yet it’s a 100% factual statement.....

You don’t seem to want to factor in that it’s the end of a long season for us. That we’rebaway from home. That Australia played well.

Is there still a dip in performance when we make changes? Yes. Is that exactly why we’re making those changes now? Yes. If there was no dip in performance at this stage there would be no need to work on our depth. That we are is a clear attempt to address the issue you’re talking about, which isn’t as bad as you’re making it out to be.

Like I said, you’re missing the point. The point is to improve our depth now when these games count for nothing. It isn’t that the issue has gone away, it’s specifically that the issue hasn’t gone away. And we’re still working to correct that.

If you keep asking yourself your own questions? You can always win every argument?

stephen_n wrote: »
    Hmm so you want to count their disallowed try and then completely ignore our two disallowed tries. Trying to bend reality or just can’t admit the game was a close one, which Australia deserved to win.

Well, no. The better team won. They were better in nearly every aspect of the game.
    That’s not ‘bending reality’. It’s just an honest assessment. I hope we stuff them tomorrow. Doubt it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

The only real difference between the teams last week was that Australia were more accurate and clinical in getting points when they had the opportunities.

However considering they had us at the breakdown and in the air, two areas we usually rely on HUGELY to dominate teams, it is actually very surprising we managed to be leading the game close enough to the end. And with many of our 1st choice players not on the pitch.

I am expecting a very different type of game, and outcome, this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Grand. So that means Australian weren’t better than Ireland.

Didn't say that whatsoever but twist it how you want it to suit your argument I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

willit wrote: »
    But the fact is the team that started last weekend were in the lead 9-8 and when the players that are a big step up from those they replaced, according to your view, came on, only then did we lose (by 10-0 in the closing ten minutes with our heavy hitters on from the bench) Australia had emptied their bench also so no excuses can be made with regards disruption of continuity for us.

From my perspective, even though we lost, I think it shows we have very good strength in depth to say our replacement team were able to lead Australia up to the point where a lot of them were taken off and I’m not worried that the front liners who came on lost the game because they have proven time and again that they are more than able to mix it with the best.

Don’t forget, Australia beat New Zealand the last time they played at the Suncorp. It’s a bit like their Eden Park or Ellis Park. The future is green ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Yes. Incredible argument to blame the “B” team who held Australia to a draw effectively for the A teams squandering of that lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well, no. The better team won. They were better in nearly every aspect of the game.
    That’s not ‘bending reality’. It’s just an honest assessment. I hope we stuff them tomorrow. Doubt it though.

They were better in many areas but marginally so. That makes them the better team on the day but maybe small changes might flip that coin. Leavy should be more competitive at the breakdown. Maybe Conway will be more competitive in the air. Sexton should bring better game management at 10. Our front row should hold up better in the scrums with Scannell. Those little changes might turn things around tomorrow. We could do without losing back to back tests no matter how much we try to convince ourselves that it doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Burkie1203 wrote: »

That's irrelevant
    Not really but that "try" was the direct result of Aki getting confused and isolated and I suspect a good part of the reason he was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

First Up wrote: »
    Not really but that "try" was the direct result of Aki getting confused and isolated and I suspect a good part of the reason he was dropped.

It is irrelevant. Tackling a player to the ground who hasn't got the ball is foul play. The ref or TJ or TMO should have copped that much earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

First Up wrote: »

On second watch, he actually didn't have that bad a game. I mean, he didn't connect with those outside him much at all but that's true of all the backs. He did put Stander away with some deft play though and repeatedly trucked up ball which Carbery shovelled onto him in the second half when running out of ideas.

But that moment was a bit of a howler from him. Along with Henshaw's defensive errors it really highlighted our lack of a proper 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

http://www.the42.ie/ref-review-ireland-wallabies-first-test-4070422-Jun2018/

Not sure if posted before but here the 42 analyses the big ref calls

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

test 2 tomorrow, time to move on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement