Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling process after DV Lottery Green Card

Options
  • 06-06-2018 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if you are still subject to filing a Tax Return if you have the initial stamp that serves as PR Status but haven't yet paid for the Green Card and don't have a SS Number yet ?

Looking for the cheapest way possible to cancel the whole process without needing a lawyer or sinking more money into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

redcup342 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you are still subject to filing a Tax Return if you have the initial stamp that serves as PR Status but haven't yet paid for the Green Card and don't have a SS Number yet ?

Looking for the cheapest way possible to cancel the whole process without needing a lawyer or sinking more money into it.

Did you get a visa in your passport that says "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR" and was it activated by USCIS at a landing point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

jjbrien wrote: »
    Did you get a visa in your passport that says "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR" and was it activated by USCIS at a landing point?

Yes, envelope handed over and it was stamped but did not pay the USCIS Fee but it appears we cannot use Form I-407 as we don't have a green card to surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The visa in your passport acts as a greencard not 100% sure you can do the I-407 but when I did my green card and US Citizenship stuff the best place for advise I found is http://www.visajourney.com/ As it stands now you are a US Resident its only a matter of time until they send you an SSN number so you would have to put in a tax return for this year. Its fairly easy to do yourself and free if you use a website like turbotax.com

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Go into the US embassy and apply for a SSN. They will send one out to you. Unless you really want to give up your Green Card then I wouldn’t worry to much about filliing taxes. If you are planning on keeping a Green card then yes you have to file taxes every year even if you don’t live there. The first year I had mine I paid a litter over $900 and I had never worked in the States.

Advertisement