Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inaugural Shot Clock Masters

Options
  • 06-06-2018 11:11am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know there's a European Tour thread but just thought this innovative competition deserves it's own thread rather than be buried....

The official European Tour shot time allowances will be in force: a 50 second allowance for a “first to play approach shot (including a par three tee shot), chip or putt” and a 40-second allowance for a “tee shot on a par four or par five, or second or third to play approach shot, chip or putt”.

Every player will be timed on every shot, and on each occasion that a player fails to hit his shot within the time limits, a one-shot penalty will be added to his score for that hole. However, each player can call for a “time-extension” up to twice in any one round, allowing a further 40 seconds over and above the above allowances to play the shot in question

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018048/news/newsid=349419.html

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Could be very interesting to see how this works in practice?

What happens if there is a call for a rules official? Does the clock only kick in from the time the player reaches their ball/is able to address it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

When does the clock start? Is it when the player reaches his ball? Once players got used to this, there will be no drop off in scoring - and it will actually help some players!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Is this being classed as an official event with R2D and Ryder cup points being offered?...It's a great idea, although not too sure if it should be counted, as it is really changing the dynamic of the game for certain players... It shouldn't make a difference because it's more than enough time to get a shot away, but in pro terms it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Measuring everyone accurately all of the time does not seem workable to me. But lets wait and see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...Is this being classed as an official event with R2D and Ryder cup points being offered?...It's a great idea, although not too sure if it should be counted, as it is really changing the dynamic of the game for certain players... It shouldn't make a difference because it's more than enough time to get a shot away, but in pro terms it's not...

Their explanation video says it's a R2D 72hole tournament.

There's actually nothing new here regarding the time allowance, these are the standard European Tour time allowances, it's just they will be enforced for every player for every shot.

Each pairing will have a referee who will determine when to start the countdown...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I agree with the idea but not sure it will take off.

I think allowing them to use DMDs would speed them up a lot, save them pacing things out and calculating distances.
    They have them down to the yard anyway, what different would a DMD actually make, is the game supposed to be testing the skill of caddies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

GreeBo wrote: »

I think allowing them to use DMDs would speed them up a lot, save them pacing things out and calculating distances.
    They have them down to the yard anyway, what different would a DMD actually make, is the game supposed to be testing the skill of caddies?

Wouldn't using a DMD not take a lot of the skill out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Joe Dog wrote: »
    Wouldn't using a DMD not take a lot of the skill out of the game.

what skill will it take out?
    they all know the yardage anyway, just they have to look up their course guides and pace it out.

bring them in I say.

and I think..... it will only be a matter of time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I agree 100% on the DMD's and think it will speed up the game and if kids see pros playing quicker then it might speed them up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I agree 100% on the DMD's and think it will speed up the game and if kids see pros playing quicker then it might speed them up too.

Not just kids.

Lot of lads in their 30's and 40's who need a right boot up the hole

• Advertisement

My last three rounds have been well under 3hours on what is a reasonable long course (5.4miles on my GPS), mind you I tee off at 7AM solo to achieve this...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    My last three rounds have been well under 3hours on what is a reasonable long course (5.4miles on my GPS), mind you I tee off at 7AM solo to achieve this...

3 ball on Sunday took 3.5 hours off back sticks in Tullamore.

Hopefully we’ll see how the pace is on Thursday and if it’s a success this week I wonder will it be used more on the EuropeanTour? Not a chance of the yanks accepting it.

Takes ya three hours to play on your own?? Speed up, Slave, ye slow git! :pac:

GreeBo wrote: »

Seve OB wrote: »
    what skill will it take out?
    they all know the yardage anyway, just they have to look up their course guides and pace it out.

bring them in I say.

and I think..... it will only be a matter of time

Completely agree. To be honest, I think caddies are too much involved as it is. The DMDs just give them the same info quicker. I also don't really think caddies should be allowed read putts or line up their player - it's endemic on the LPGA Tour and some of those ladies are sssslllooowwwww...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Hopefully we’ll see how the pace is on Thursday and if it’s a success this week I wonder will it be used more on the EuropeanTour? Not a chance of the yanks accepting it.

It’ll be really interesting to see how it works out. Hopefully it’s a success (although how do you measure that ?) and they might try it in a few more events rather than have this event turn into a “novelty” tournament to be avoided by all the top players.

I know it’s the week before a major, but there really is a surprising lack of good players playing this week (I know they’re all fantastic players, but you know what I mean !), which makes me fear that there really isn’t any appetite for tackling slow play.

I wonder could Keith Pelley maybe talk the other powers that be into trying this format out in a WGC event, even once-off, just for the craic ??!! The PGA tour boss would probably have a cardiac arrest at the thought of it !! Some of those yank players mightn’t break 90 with all the penalty shots !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Completely agree. To be honest, I think caddies are too much involved as it is. The DMDs just give them the same info quicker. I also don't really think caddies should be allowed read putts or line up their player - it's endemic on the LPGA Tour and some of those ladies are sssslllooowwwww...

Maybe they should try an event with no yardage books or distance markers, purely Mark 1 Eyeball only. In all seriousness I’d love to see how they’d do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So far it’s fine - it’s timed from when they stand up to the ball pretty much but the timings do seem kind of random to be honest.

I’d assume it’s putting we’ll see the biggest difference in this week - expecting stats to be far worse than usual.

First groups are in, on average 40minutes earlier so far

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

WHIP IT! wrote: »

I think from next year caddies wont be allowed line up golfer on LPGA tour... heard something about it during the US Open.
    Russman wrote: »
    It’ll be really interesting to see how it works out. Hopefully it’s a success (although how do you measure that ?)

I guess if overall round times are faster then it worked.
    Will be interesting to see it on the back 9 on Sunday though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Russman wrote: »
    Maybe they should try an event with no yardage books or distance markers, purely Mark 1 Eyeball only. In all seriousness I’d love to see how they’d do.

No Distance markers could see a lad sending a caddie 200yds up the fairway to pace it out!

Cant see why they dont allow Distance measuring devices.

The Green is the worst place in my opinion for it. Watched an event recently where a 3 ball each had 15ft approx putts. They took it in turns to each line up, walk around look from other side and check side on before calling in the caddie to check the line on the ball matched what they agreed. Surely this can be done simultaneously to some extent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Anything that curtails those long discussions between caddies and players would be worth trying. It's much worse on the PGA tour than the European tour.
    There is a rule in the Rules of Golf, (6.7), regarding penalties for undue delay between holes. The rule further states that the 'committee' of a competition may specify penalties for slow play during the play of a hole. These rules could be applied in every tournament but hardly ever are.
    I don't see why it is necessary to have a special tournament to apply these rules. Why not apply them in every tournament.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Anything that curtails those long discussions between caddies and players would be worth trying. It's much worse on the PGA tour than the European tour.
    There is a rule in the Rules of Golf, (6.7), regarding penalties for undue delay between holes. The rule further states that the 'committee' of a competition may specify penalties for slow play during the play of a hole. These rules could be applied in every tournament but hardly ever are.
    I don't see why it is necessary to have a special tournament to apply these rules. Why not apply them in every tournament.

You would hope that that is the ultimate aim...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

That's not quick. 2 ball first out should be under 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Has there been any penalty's yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First groups are in, on average 40minutes earlier so far

Above is key to me.

Watching it for first time - the clock looks far from demanding - they have done most of the crap before they stand up to the ball.

So I guess because they are tour pros the event is on the conservative side, something too radical - just wouldn't suit pros on a real European event.

I think the biggest factor here is that they are actually on clock with ref standing their timing all the time, so their psychology is different - next pro standing up ready to hit - the standing on the tee box for an age and in way of next payer is gone. The next guys is stepping up right away - not talking shot over with caddie.

The fact it doesn't look that demanding - goes to show what sort of nonsense stuff has come in to make it 5.5 hour rounds.

sensible golf pace - doesn't take much.

The putting is still too slow. But one step at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's the penalty for going above the alloted time?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What's the penalty for going above the alloted time?

Shot penalty

Heard Nick Dougherty say there that there'll be another cut today.

Can someone confirm on what he said - Is is going to be Top 60+ ties. Will this be titled 'MDF', like the usual 3rd Round cuts?

EDIT: Found it - Top 60 is what they are doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

callaway92 wrote: »
    Heard Nick Dougherty say there that there'll be another cut today.

Can someone confirm on what he said - Is is going to be Top 60+ ties. Will this be titled 'MDF', like the usual 3rd Round cuts?

EDIT: Found it - Top 60 is what they are doing

yea i had read early in week that cut would be top 65 & ties on friday and another cut on saturday with top 60 & ties

not sure i agree with that

play 2 rounds and p155 of home if you are not going to win anything

or else we will tease you and cost you money to stay another day ..... then you can p155 off home and get nothing

i understand they do that when they have to many people make the cut, but this is planned this week

Advertisement