Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knockanstockan 2018

Options
  • 06-06-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

Many attending the return of Knockanstockan this year? It'll be my first year attending. Some of my mates sing its absolute praises so really looking forward to it. Was done with going to EP and I think I'm now done with Body&Soul too so really embracing the smaller festivals like this, Vantastival and Arcadian Field. EDIT: The fest is three days, not two this year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

85 bands in total I believe. Its kinda known for being a festival for musicians by musicians so this year should be a good show. Went years back and it was hopping, had a really good time there and the surroundings are some of the best anywhere in Ireland.

Heading to this for the 1st time excited , have heard good things.

Haven't seen many on the lineup bar Jinx Lennon and Spud Gun.

Any recommendations anyone can recommend to whet my apatite?

Also is it 2 or 3 days? I seem to be seeing some very conflicting reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah I got mixed up a bit. Saturday and Sunday are the main days but there's an extra "early move-in" day that you can pay extra for to camp from Friday onwards and there is exclusive Friday entertainment.

The Knockanstockan Spotify playlist is a good'un for exploration!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

Heading to this for the 1st time excited , have heard good things.

Haven't seen many on the lineup bar Jinx Lennon and Spud Gun.

I could write paragraphs on how much I love Knockanstockan. Converted in 2016, I used to think the Irish music scene was a bit of a cringey joke; now I'm proud to declare some of my favourite acts are home-grown. This is probably the year that it really blows up, so with that it's likely the final year we don't see the bogey brigade in strong numbers.

Anyway... without further adieu... I would highly recommend catching at least one of these over the weekend:

Vernon Jane - A high-energy rock band with a front-woman that will knock your socks off. The musicianship is top-quality and they usually outfit with brass and percussion for festivals. A great live act.

Bicurious - Up and coming two-piece instrumentaly outfit with tasty riffs that will be good if you're looking for a mosh.

Akora - Have yet to see these guys live myself, but have received steady acclaim for their originality and high production value. Female vocals backed with a tight band, shrouded with synth-groove. They were formed as a "super-group" from individuals sourced from other established Dublin bands.

The Scratch - 3 guitars and percussion. Think Rodrigo y Gabriela for metalheads, but to be enjoyed by all? Highly recommended.

Munky - High-energy (a pattern emerging..), funky, dance-along rock'n'roll. I think they're touring around Europe with Crazytown at the moment, but definitely a band you'll get drawn towards should you be within earshot come show-time.

The Ollam - The talk of this years' festival since they were announced. Probably considered a headliner due to being an international act, featuring Joe Dart (bass for Vulfpeck). Irish trad meets.. Vulfpeck! I think the outfit was more of a project, so don't miss these guys as it'll likely be a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity sort-of-thing.

The Eskies - Really tight, catchy folk rock band - with mandolin! Think Mumford & Sons except palatable and somehow original. They put on an amazing show every year and usually get a great stage/time to play. They have great content out on Spotify too, so one to take home after it's all over.

Junior Brother - An agricultural Tom Waits-y singer-songwriter that will stun you with harsh, angled vocals and jarring guitar/tambourine. A spectacle in his woolly jumper. Sound lad too, good craic on the sesh.

Megacone - Quoted as being the original "Quest Rock" band. They are immense live. Video game music meets technical metal meets orchestral meets classic rock. Seriously impressive guitar playing that is worth a look just to watch. Probably my favourite act that I've seen at Knockanstockan over the years and I won't be missing them this year.

Bitch Falcon - Grunge/hard-rock 3-piece with another impressive front-woman. Have yet to see these live but they will be a definite for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Looking forward to this. Was devastated they took a break last year, but i was well deserved in fairness. Such a brilliant festival.

Playlist in my sig below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭markomongo

I have two tickets available at €130 each as something has come up. Drop me a line if interested. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Cant wait for this.
    Has anyone got the buses from town? Do they drop you at the festival entrance or the carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 seansherid

I went in 2016 and really, really enjoyed it. There's such a diverse range of artists. Small festival but not too small. As someone already mentioned there's a great line up. Found myself hanging around the Dimestore stage tent a lot last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

10 days lads, so excited to be going back :)

Hopefully will make it to at least half of these - some are absolute definites!

Friday
    10:00pm Rasher Factory Brian (Meltybrains)
    11:30pm Wishbone Chancer
    12:30am Wishbone Mutefish
    01:00am Unfiltered Attention Bebe

Saturday
    19:00pm Dimestore Bicurious
    19:30pm Unfiltered Search Party Animal
    20:30pm Spirit Animal The Scratch
    21:30pm Spirit Animal The Eskies
    22:30pm Unfiltered Toby Kaar
    01:00am Rasher Factory Humans of The Sesh

Sunday
    14:00pm Dimestore Pointbreak
    14:30pm Spirit Animal Sing Along Social
    19:30pm Faerie Field Galway Street Club
    20:30pm Spirit Animal The Olllam
    21:30pm Unfiltered AE Mak
    22:30pm Unfiltered Donal Dineen
    00:30am Dimestore Mockie Ah – Rocky Horror

We have very similar tastes haha

I didn't end up catching Humans of The Sesh at picnic last year..
    Can someone confirm if it's a dj set of old school classic scaldy choons such as sandstorm and zombie nation?

Also I'm hoping the Cranky Yankee corn dog man is going to be there.

What is the story with transport does anyone know lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did you not think to look at their website, under the tab info and the drop down, getting there. Ah feck heres the link. :)https://knockanstockan.ie/how-to-get-there/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I'm getting a bus from town at 1pm on the Friday.
    I think Humans of the Sesh was all old school bangers. Definitely remember Sandstorm.

Anyone any guesses who the special guest could be on the friday at 2.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The Story about Transport

I'm a little annoyed with the organizers. Initially, when the Friday was announced they said there was nothing on, and to bring some entertainment for yourself. So i said feck it i'll just go down Saturday, and now they've announced 3 stages of acts for the Friday. Including Slouch who was on an early announcement.

D.Q wrote: »
    I think Humans of the Sesh was all old school bangers. Definitely remember Sandstorm.

I've personally decided it's Meltybrains :p most of them are playing over the weekend with their other projects.

Who did they have last time when they had the five or six secret guests.. I remember RSAG, Jerry Fish and Ash.

Did you not think to look at their website, under the tab info and the drop down, getting there. Ah feck heres the link. :)https://knockanstockan.ie/how-to-get-there/

To be fair I think that info tab had been completely empty until very recently.

Peesh89 wrote: »

I've personally decided it's Meltybrains :p most of them are playing over the weekend with their other projects.

Who did they have last time when they had the five or six secret guests.. I remember RSAG, Jerry Fish and Ash.

I was hoping for King Kong Company but they have denied it on FB to me.
    It's a serious time slot for a special guest. 2.30am on the opening night. After attention bebe as well so you'd have to assume its a party band.

• Advertisement

Didn't think of KKC christ that would have been incredible.. I hope they're just being secretive.
    It's the new Carlsberg stage as well so I'm sure they'd have cash to splash

Didn't think of KKC christ that would have been incredible.. I hope they're just being secretive.

Yeah hopefully! Although they'd surely be on the lineup if they had them booked. Didn't know Carlsberg were sponsoring them. I assume the free flow policy is still in place.

Yeah hopefully! Although they'd surely be on the lineup if they had them booked. Didn't know Carlsberg were sponsoring them. I assume the free flow policy is still in place.
    From what I gathered on the page, you're allowed to bring your own cans as long as there's no glass, which is far.

Beyond stoked for the whole weekend.

Ah stop. Haven't been since 2015.

Absolutely insane lineup this year. Some random thoughts:

I think Kojaque is a really brilliant booking. Dublin hip hop, can't recommend his EP enough. Deli Daydreams, its up on spotify  if you're into that sort of thing. Played at longitude over the weekend. Very smart lyrics, great production. 

Would echo sentiment above about Bicurious/Bitch Falcon etc Always good to have a bit of noise.

The Eskies and The Hot Sprockets always absolutely destroy the place when they play. Attention Bebe are a great choice for the friday, 90s bangers with a lot of brass..

Birds of Olympus also worth checking out. Psychadelic rock n roll. Gorgeous harmonies and really well crafted songs.

Tongue Bundle. Saw these in 2015. Bat**** jazz band. Lot of trumpets etc. They were painted yellow and ended their set with a massive fight/pileup ontop of their drummer. Fairly captivating,especially considering my state of mind at the time.

I probably see myself hanging around the Dimestore tent a fair bit. Mad to see Bicurious and Chancer on the Friday. The lads in Megacone are great craic live too.
    Although, I'm always surprised at how many artists/bands I accidentally stumble across moving between stages. Like, was blown away by Overhead the Albatross last time in 2016.
    Humans of the Sesh set should be a good one too.

I'm not too mad on Kojaque just because it's not my fave style to listen to, but the majority of the group I'll be with are lads who are very in to their hiphop and will want to catch him so I'll be there and probably love him by the end :)

The Scratch followed by The Eskies... I might die.

Any ideas on who the secret guests may be anyone?

No idea! Some possibilities I have considered. No real evidence, just think these bands are a bit conspicuous by their absence.

King Kong Company
    Meltybrains? (good shout by a poster earlier in the thread)
    Versatile
    Le Galaxie

I'd be super happy with Meltybrains? showing up again. Too good on the Sunday last time. Le Galaxie are pretty cool too. I was raging I missed Ash as the surprise act last time on the Friday.

• Advertisement

seansherid wrote: »
    I'd be super happy with Meltybrains? showing up again. Too good on the Sunday last time. Le Galaxie are pretty cool too. I was raging I missed Ash as the surprise act last time on the Friday.
    Can you remember what time they played at? This slot is 2.30am, seems a very odd time for a special guest.

Advertisement