Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill and Una Mulally Threads on AHs

Options
  • 06-06-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Posting this here, as advised in the Feedback Forum. Please note, this is not a complant against an individual Mod, but on observation on the AHs Mods actions as a whole, so have not PMed any of them.

So there are currently two threads on AH, about the above (Louise O'Neil, and Una Mulally) Celebs/Authors/Journos. Now I dont really know who either are, nor do I really care. But my issue is the almost daily changing of the thread titles. Now after a certain period, OPs cannot edit their post, or the title, so it leads me to beleive, that its the mods who are doing this.

Would this not be a slight abuse of power, either editing the orriginal context of the OP, or putting their own agenda, or view, into the OP, rather than adding to the discussion with their own post.

I noticed a similar trend, during the abortion debate, where the tittle changed, to either support or abuse one side of the debate, or reflect the current news situation. Again a possible abuse, to lead the conversation, rather than adding to the conversation in the form of a new post.

Maybe this is something the mods/admin could look at in thier private discussions on the forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Completely agree with the OP.

This thread was created 6 days ago, why has no Mod/Admin commented on this issue yet?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Couple of points to address here, but I will start by asking if you sent a Private Message to the Mod team?

I personally haven't seen any particular slant or opinion added to thread titles; I have seen that they have covered everything from if they watch certain shows, what internet browser they use, and musical tastes. I also can't recall changes of this sort when the 8th Amendment threads were in full flight.

In terms of discoverability, it is possible to follow threads so you'll get updated (through e-mail, a notification in the top right, or it being bumped up in the My Threads tab), so those who want stay informed can do. As well as that, the subjects have remained in the thread title so while everything else changes, anyone with a passing interest will be able to spot it pretty quickly.

I would agree that some of the posters are being messed with, Permabear. But in a jovial way; it's After Hours. It's supposed to be fun from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Couple of points to address here, but I will start by asking if you sent a Private Message to the Mod team?

I personally haven't seen any particular slant or opinion added to thread titles; I have seen that they have covered everything from if they watch certain shows, what internet browser they use, and musical tastes. I also can't recall changes of this sort when the 8th Amendment threads were in full flight.

In terms of discoverability, it is possible to follow threads so you'll get updated (through e-mail, a notification in the top right, or it being bumped up in the My Threads tab), so those who want stay informed can do. As well as that, the subjects have remained in the thread title so while everything else changes, anyone with a passing interest will be able to spot it pretty quickly.

I would agree that some of the posters are being messed with, Permabear. But in a jovial way; it's After Hours. It's supposed to be fun from time to time.

I don't believe it's done just for fun.
    I see it as intentional attempts to destroy threads.
    You cannot have a discussion about the thread subject. It's constantly being derailed by rubbish . Nobody cares what socks she wears.
    If a normal poster was doing stuff like that to screw up a thread they would be rightly banned.
    Once or twice a year can be funny if it aligns with something relevant but not twice a day.

On a separate point. Surely a mod should post in a thread to say the title has changed. Most of the time it is just a clarification but sometimes it changes the point of the thread. Stating that the titled changed from ABC to xyz would allow it to be followed a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I just wish the thread would feck off. Don't understand why so much airtime had been given to a nobody.

Having said that, the name of the thread is being changed too much. I've wondered if the name change bumps the thread? Which brings me back to my first paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hi,

I am sure mods can view the edit history on posts, not sure if that includs title edits, but if so I suggest you check out the title changes of these, and the abortion referendum threads.

I have not PMed the mods, as I do not have a dispute with any particular mod, but just an issue with the way the threads are managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Posting this here, as advised in the Feedback Forum. Please note, this is not a complant against an individual Mod, but on observation on the AHs Mods actions as a whole, so have not PMed any of them.

So there are currently two threads on AH, about the above (Louise O'Neil, and Una Mulally) Celebs/Authors/Journos. Now I dont really know who either are, nor do I really care. But my issue is the almost daily changing of the thread titles. Now after a certain period, OPs cannot edit their post, or the title, so it leads me to beleive, that its the mods who are doing this.

Would this not be a slight abuse of power, either editing the orriginal context of the OP, or putting their own agenda, or view, into the OP, rather than adding to the discussion with their own post.

I noticed a similar trend, during the abortion debate, where the tittle changed, to either support or abuse one side of the debate, or reflect the current news situation. Again a possible abuse, to lead the conversation, rather than adding to the conversation in the form of a new post.

Maybe this is something the mods/admin could look at in thier private discussions on the forum.

Can you remember any examples of this because i certainly cant and i posted in all of the referendum threads. I say threads because multiple threads were required due to the number of posts. Perhaps you seen multiple threads with different titles and thought a mod had renamed the prior thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For the record, I went through the 8th threads and their respective moderator logs to find all the thread titles an changes. Here they are:
    • The 8th amendment will not be repealed
    • The 8th amendment will not be repealed?
    • The 8th amendment
    • The 8th Amendment Part 2(mod warning in op.)
    • The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP
    • 8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1
    • Placeholder
    • The 8th amendment referendum - part 4

I'm not going to post the list of LON thread titles because posts have a 10,000 character limit.

Advertisement