Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend simple guitar

• 06-06-2018 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I used play the banjo many years ago and would like start playing acoustic guitar now. I have forgotten everything so will be starting from scratch again
    Can anyone recommend a nice simple guitar ? Music i would be playing would be ballads etc (christy moore etc)
    I would ideally like to pick up something for less than 200 euro and am open to buying second hand also
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

You won't go wrong with Yamaha, they are very well made.

The F310 is a popular entry level guitar, there are a few on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wayzeer

Depending on your budget and if you want an acoustic or semi-acoustic, also it would depend if you want it for playing exclusively at home or gigging with it. I recently bought one of the Gear4Music copycat of the ovation guitars (roundback semi-acoustic) for 114 EUR and it plays beautifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don't rule out a nylon string either. Lovely feel, easy on the fingers, though the neck is wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

seachto7 wrote: »
    Don't rule out a nylon string either. Lovely feel, easy on the fingers, though the neck is wider.

Yep. Thomann recommended a fender with nylon strings so that’s what I got

I have played music as a young lad so even though I’m a guitar beginner , I have some basic piano knowledge

Would I be better to get lessons or use you tube and / or books to start leaning ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yep. Thomann recommended a fender with nylon strings so that’s what I got

I have played music as a young lad so even though I’m a guitar beginner , I have some basic piano knowledge

Would I be better to get lessons or use you tube and / or books to start leaning ?

No harm starting with youtube and online resources first and seeing how you fair. There is a huge amount of info online these days, and free courses that you can do. But some still prefer the structure of formal in person lessons.

• Advertisement

Go as far as you can yourself first I think. There's so much stuff online to help you. Seeing as you used to play the banjo, you'll have a basic idea of frets and melodies etc.

so i bought the fender beginner guitar and enjoying the online lessons

However i find though that every single day the guitar is out of tune and i have to tune it. Sometimes its very much out of tune

I have stored it lying down and left if standing up

Does anyone know why this would happen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

However i find though that every single day the guitar is out of tune and i have to tune it. Sometimes its very much out of tune

nylon string guitars are much harder to keep in tune IME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

It happens with brand new strings. I'd say that is the issue.

pearcider wrote: »
    It happens with brand new strings. I'd say that is the issue.

Should it stop or improve after a while ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Should it stop or improve after a while ?

Yes the more you play it, the less it will go out of tune.

Unless there is a problem with the tuners slipping or it catching on the nut or something.

I changed the nylon strings on my kids guitar, (first time I had done Nylon string change) and it was pretty bad for a few hours. I give a bit of abuse (like played it a lot and very heavy handed) and the next day it seemed ok.

Give the strings a bit of a stretch and retune, then see how it goes. Could also be bad tuning pegs.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Give the strings a bit of a stretch and retune, then see how it goes. Could also be bad tuning pegs.

You mean tighten them up and then retune it ?

yep

Advertisement