Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criterium du Dauphine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye a big gap, unfortunately

Rm9OE3l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sky pissing all over everyone here, top 4 on gc now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭happytramp

Doesn't bode well for the a particularly interesting week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Dan 2'57" down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I dunno ....Dan M & Nibali have to attack now

They have to drop Kwaito & Thomas...shoud be good imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I dunno ....Dan M & Nibali have to attack now

They have to drop Kwaito & Thomas...shoud be good imo

Unfortunately given Dan Martins form so far this year its hard to see him being able to drop either of those 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Its a bit strange that since Aru and Martin have joined UAE their form has completely disappeared, similar in the way that Rui Costa's did when he joined them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dan has said that out of the Dauphine team, it will be only be himself, Rory Sutherland and Sven Erik Bystrom in the TdF team... But they don't exactly have a stellar bunch of TT'ers waiting to join them...
    They might need some help from a motorbike! :D :pac:

coco0981 wrote: »
    Unfortunately given Dan Martins form so far this year its hard to see him being able to drop either of those 2

All remaining stages are tough... can't see Kwiatkowski holding on for sure.
    Bardet, Zakarin, Nibali and Martin all have to attack, and there is plenty of scope to do it...

452693.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Dan pipped by Alaphillipe

• Advertisement

Really good performance from Dan. Not too bothered that Alaphilippe pipped him at the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

coco0981 wrote: »

Say what ???

Early days but that was the best looking Dan we've seen this year. He did seem very relaxed and at ease in the interview too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Can we expect a much better TTT fro UAE at the Tour? or are we looking again at the realm of 2.5 mins lost that day to the best TTT GC Teams, which to be fair is in the same range as he would lose in an ITT to Froome or Dumoulin and Co.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Inquitus wrote: »
    Can we expect a much better TTT fro UAE at the Tour? or are we looking again at the realm of 2.5 mins lost that day to the best TTT GC Teams, which to be fair is in the same range as he would lose in an ITT to Froome or Dumoulin and Co.?

A fairly optimistic interview from him in Sticky Bottle after yesterdays TTT

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dan-martin-more-confident-tour-france/

basically he says their team in France will be stronger - no doubt so will Team Sky's.

He also said he was feeling strong and was hopeful for the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Can we expect a much better TTT fro UAE at the Tour?

Probably not. But even if they do, sky will (probably) have froome in their tdf team as well, as well as maybe kiryienka who would strengthen them in the ttt even more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Absolutely - the TTT in the TdF will be far better now that Aru is going to be taking part and he will pull them all along - he'll make the difference......yeah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Say what ???

Didn’t see him drop Thomas and only 8 secs on Kwiato! Hopefully some more significant time gaps tomorrow.

Wasn't it said somewhere Aru was being given a program now by UAE vs relying on his coach? He's looked terrible this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Painful to watch the Eurosport highlights this evening.

'G, G, G'..... G this, G that, Kirby was insufferable. I know they're playing to primarily a British audience but you wouldn't get the BBC calling British athletes by their nicknames. Disappointed to hear Matt Stephens falling in line with Kirby and calling out 'G' as well.

So bloody annoying.... I'll may just watch TG4 over the summer. 'Geraint Thomas ag dreapadh go maith'!

• Advertisement

Say what ???

At least Dan M showed some bit of form today, still think he's a good bit off where he was at this stage last year

velo.2010 wrote: »

'G, G, G'..... G this, G that, Kirby was insufferable. I know they're playing to primarily a British audience but you wouldn't get the BBC calling British athletes by their nicknames. Disappointed to hear Matt Stephens falling in line with Kirby and calling out 'G' as well.

So bloody annoying.... I'll may just watch TG4 over the summer. 'Geraint Thomas ag dreapadh go maith'!

This x100. G, G, G all week

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's a whole thread dedicated to Carlton.

It's not just British riders. Every time I hear "the shark of Messina" it repeats in my head in an Alan Partridge voice.

My theory about the origin of the 'G' thing is that people have mild difficulty pronouncing Geraint and there's no obvious contraction that would be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    There's a whole thread dedicated to Carlton.

It's not just British riders. Every time I hear "the shark of Messina" it repeats in my head in an Alan Partridge voice.

My theory about the origin of the 'G' thing is that people have mild difficulty pronouncing Geraint and there's no obvious contraction that would be easy.

They could call him Gerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

letape wrote: »
    Didn’t see him drop Thomas and only 8 secs on Kwiato! Hopefully some more significant time gaps tomorrow.

17 seconds on Kwiatkowski. It was 8 back to Moscon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

By contrast when Sean Kelly was asked or talking about Sam Bennett in the Giro you wouldn't have had an inkling they were from the same country, let alone the same town.
    I'm sure inside he was egging him on all the way but he kept a cap on it in front of the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    They could call him Gerry?

Ger Thomas is more pub owner than pro cyclist though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Lumen wrote: »

Yeah, but for commentary you would surely call him by his surname. The G thing is pure cringe. They're not working with or for Team Sky.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

He should stop calling Nicolas Roche "Nico" too. It's cringey. They're not working for Team BMC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Please feel free to visit the "Carlton K Whinge Binge " thread .....

A great place to vent about Carlton and his "rooster tails" and the "G".... "I'll be bound" .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement