Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMX vs. casual adult sized bike.

Options
  • 06-06-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭

There's been an old BMX bike of mine in my grandmother's house for a while. I bought it with my communion money (try not to laugh) but it was designed as a regular BMX as far as I know. Anyway, I tried it out for the first time in years. It's not in overly bad condition, but I didn't exactly give it a full service, just tested the brakes and went off on a 1km cycle. I found it very difficult (had to lie down after) so I'm just wondering if it's the bike being just difficult to cycle, or whether I'm just extremely unfit?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BMXs are very small, and single geared. Definitely take some getting used to, and it will be hard work getting back into the swing

Full road bike or hybrid will be much more comfortable and easy to ride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Beasty wrote: »
    BMXs are very small, and single geared. Definitely take some getting used to, and it will be hard work getting back into the swing

Full road bike or hybrid will be much more comfortable and easy to ride

Cheers, maybe I'll try a proper one in the Phoenix Park or something. Not in a position to buy a proper one atm, any particular type to be recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's a bit like asking on Motors whether there's any particular type of car to be recommended.

All bicycles have their niches. Generally people look for something that's good for lots of things, because they think they might do lots of things, but end up using it for one thing, so figure out what that thing is and then the obvious bike will emerge.

Advertisement