Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save my soup!

• 06-06-2018 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I made a veg and lentil soup today. Basically did a standard veg soup base (celery, carrots, onion, garlic, parsnip, herbs bay leaf) bit of white wine, seasoning and then added green lentils. Hand blended it but it tastes weird, too savoury but not too salty if that makes sense.

I checked out a lot of veg and lentil soup recipes (didn't follow any of these) and noticed that many tended to be tomato/cumin based. Is t because the lentils add that gritty savoury taste and tomatoes / spices sweeten it up a bit?

Any ideas about how to save the soup? :D it's edible but I'm very disappointed. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Adding tomatoes &/or spices may only make it more savoury. A drop more white wine or a tsp or two if sugar may help.

To be honest, you may be best following recipes until you are comfortable in achieving good flavour balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Too many ingredients. Try with 2 or 3, it's a bit of a confusion of tastes unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Cheers to both of you. Agreed too many ingredients and I need to stick to the recipe books! I get carried away with leftover ingredients sometimes. I added some of my baby's sweet veg medley puree and more water and it has made it tastier but definitely will stick to a more simple soup next time. Thanks again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are lots of tried & tested recipes in our Souper Soup Thread too :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68791687

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

There are lots of tried & tested recipes in our Souper Soup Thread too :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68791687

Thanks a lot for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

I wouldn't recommend just throwing in spices afterwards. They need to be cooked through at the base stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Adding an apple works wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

This lentil soup recipe worked out really well for me - https://cookieandkate.com/2015/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/

Advertisement