Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with format of golf classic

Options
  • 06-06-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been tasked with organising our golf classic this year. My knowledge of golf is purely from watching the pros on tv. The handicap system is completely unknown to me.

We've settled on the format of a four person team with the best 2 scores counting every hole. This seemed straight forward until I started trying to actually write the rules for the day.

That's when I came across things like "Stableford scoring". Also, language like "Each player receives 90% of his full individual handicap taken against Stroke Index."

Does anyone have experience of this format (4 person team with the best 2 scores counting)? If so, could you please offer some advice as to what works best or how you prefer this format to be - stroke play / match play / Stableford?

Also, how exactly should I calculate the handicap of the players. Is it just a straight 90% of their handicap?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. It's doing my head in at the moment and nobody else in the office has a clue.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Go for 100% of handicap and Stableford points, that’s the usual around here anyhow. Same rules for everyone and if it’s a classic then you’ll have the more casual golfer out there so that scoring is more likely to allow them have a decent time of it.
    Good luck with your fundraising...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

slave1 wrote: »
    Go for 100% of handicap and Stableford points, that’s the usual around here anyhow. Same rules for everyone and if it’s a classic then you’ll have the more casual golfer out there so that scoring is more likely to allow them have a decent time of it.
    Good luck with your fundraising...

Thanks. A few questions, if you don't mind.
    Why do you recommend the 100% handicap, out of interest? Just for easiness sake? And with regard to Stableford points, you think that golfers would prefer this to regular stroke play?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

100% handicap because that’s what I’m used to playing in classics, also easier for you to admin

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Thanks. A few questions, if you don't mind.
    Why do you recommend the 100% handicap, out of interest? Just for easiness sake? And with regard to Stableford points, you think that golfers would prefer this to regular stroke play?

just my opinion, 100% is grand as all players will be playing out their own ball. Stableford is more enjoyable for a classic & given it's 2 scores to count on each hole then i'd def go stableford... 1 blow out hole wont ruin the scorecard

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i agree
    full handicaps
    stableford
    two to score per hole - sometimes you see a variation when all might score on the last hole or 3 to score on par 3's. it is all up to choice
    middle or forward tees
    burger after 9
    beer on each tee box etc etc :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

If the classic is a straight forward timesheet and not a shotgun start. Then it is easier to have it as the 2 best stableford scores to count on each hole and maybe add all 4 scores to count on the last 4 holes. 
    There are alternate formats to play - Champagne Scramble, Standard Scramble, which can be a bit of craic and gets the entire 4 ball involved. Happy to help in anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

To echo whats said before,

100% HC, Stableford (Its the way most amateurs play their weekly golf in this country

2 Scores to count on all holes.

As mentioned above you can add some variety by having extra scores to count on some holes. Usually near the end.

eg all 4 on 18
    or 3 on 17 and 4 on 18

"Side comps" of longest Drive (Mens and Womens different holes) and Nearest the pin (Can be a combined or 2 separate for Mens and Womens) keeps an interest for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Definitely don't go with strokeplay (unless you're playing a standard scramble). Classics are slow at the best of times, so you'll be killed if you play a standard 4-man team with 2 to score with strokes.

Also might be worth limiting the handicaps for people without an official handicap.

So, something like...GUI handicap, or a max of 18 for non-GUI players. Otherwise you could open up the risk of lads saying they're a handicap of 28 & then posting a crazy score.

To be honest, for a classic, I'd probably lean towards either a scramble or a champagne scramble.

For a standard scramble, 10% of the combined handicap of all four players. Each team has to use a minimum of 3 tee shots from each player (to keep everyone involved & put a bit of pressure on if you're getting towards the end of the round & someone hasn't contributed a tee shot).

if you're not sure what a scramble is:
    • All 4 players hit a tee shot
    • pick the best shot & all four players then hit their next shot from that point
    • pick the best shot & all four players then hit their next shot from that point
    • Continue until the ball is in the hole

So you could have, on a par 4, player 1s tee shot is picked. All four hit from there & player 3s ball lands on the green closest to the hole. All four players then have an attempt at the same birdie putt. If one person makes it, the team score a birdie & just mark that one score on the card

For a champagne scramble, use full handicaps, and again, make it 3 tee shots per player have to be used:
    • All 4 players hit a tee shot
    • Pick the best tee shot & everyone plays from there
    • Everyone finishes out their own ball from there, and you only count the best 2 stableford scores

So similar to a 4-ball with the 2 best scores, but in theory you are always starting the hole from the best tee shot. Similar to the above, you're playing a par 4, everyone tees off. Player 2's shot is the best, so everyone plays from there. All four players finish the hole. If player 1 scores 1 point, player 2, 2 points, player 3, 3 points, player 4, scratch. You mark the scorecard with player 2 & 3s scores, for a team score of 5 points on the hole.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Good luck with the event

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Thanks guys,

We played a scramble format in previous years, but the feedback was that some of the golfers didn't like not playing their own ball all the way around. It's a good course (Baltray), so they wanted to experience the course properly.

If I had set a poll in my opening post, then it would have been an overwhelming win for 100% handicap with Stableford scoring. So this is what we are going to go with.

Once again, thanks guys. Personally, it's back to pitch and putt for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

We played a scramble format in previous years, but the feedback was that some of the golfers didn't like not playing their own ball all the way around. It's a good course (Baltray), so they wanted to experience the course properly.

If I had set a poll in my opening post, then it would have been an overwhelming win for 100% handicap with Stableford scoring. So this is what we are going to go with.

Once again, thanks guys. Personally, it's back to pitch and putt for me!

if pace of play is an issue as someone mentioned you could consider one score to count on par 4s & 5s & 2 to count on par 3s.

GL & enjoy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I know what you mean when you are playing a premium course it’s nice to play you own ball around .... i will have the pleasure of teeing it up in baltray tomorrow ... first time playing it so looking forward to it !

Advertisement