Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Restaurants

Options
  • 06-06-2018 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Fair testament to the quality of the management in Salthill Social that it has been closed by HSE within a reasonably short period of time after opening - they also seemed to be looking for a new chef every fortnight.

Been to Salt a few times and been totally underwhelmed every time, average food with a premium price tag and not very attentive service - god knows how they ever thought they could fill the space tbh.

Would be great to have some decent new options in Salthill beyond cafe type food - i.e. somewhere that just serves decent meals without pretense and silly prices (the wait goes on...).

Mod, this discussion doesn't belong in the information thread for "Shops/Businesses opening/closing down"
    Moved out to own thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Fair testament to the quality of the management in Salthill Social that it has been closed by HSE within a reasonably short period of time after opening - they also seemed to be looking for a new chef every fortnight.

Been to Salt a few times and been totally underwhelmed every time, average food with a premium price tag and not very attentive service - god knows how they ever thought they could fill the space tbh.

Would be great to have some decent new options in Salthill beyond cafe type food - i.e. somewhere that just serves decent meals without pretense and silly prices (the wait goes on...).

The Galleon . Oslo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

youngrun wrote: »

The Galleon . Oslo ?
    Papa rich now too. Well it's cheap anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Off-topic but... La Collina - decent meal, no pretense, and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

youngrun wrote: »
    The Galleon . Oslo ?

Oslo has gone way downhill food-wise. I used to go there for lunch every month but they changed the menu a while back for the worse. We both had a terrible lunch and the waitress just nodded "we know" when I said it was terrible. Tried O'Rieleys and that wasn't much better. But sure Lana is next door and now Papa Rich is open with a view, good quality, and great prices.

Da Roberta's can be nice. We were quite underwhelmed with Black Cat. Still haven't tried Wilde's... how was it when it was the Fisherman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Da Roberta's can be nice. We were quite underwhelmed with Black Cat. Still haven't tried Wilde's... how was it when it was the Fisherman?

Re Da Roberta's, yes it can be nice, but I'd rather be sure.
    The Fisherman was grand, haven't been to Wilde's yet but the menu looks much more generic than it used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Oslo has gone way downhill food-wise. I used to go there for lunch every month but they changed the menu a while back for the worse. We both had a terrible lunch and the waitress just nodded "we know" when I said it was terrible. Tried O'Rieleys and that wasn't much better. But sure Lana is next door and now Papa Rich is open with a view, good quality, and great prices.

Found the staff in the Oslo lately to be incredibly rude even to the point of commenting on the amount of food we ordered. They seem to think they are too cool for their jobs... Pity because i used to love the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Aye I go there regularly for pints and the staff turnover is high and summer always brings in new staff. Some of them are great in fairness. What I miss the most was a good international selection of brewery beers on tap/bottle. I used to love getting interesting German and Belgian bottles but everything has been replaced with craft except Erdinger and Guinness (for which they will give you a disappointed look). I usually find something in the craft selection but so many of them aren't up to scratch and cost more than a 9% belgian would have. However my wife is always overwhelmed by their selection, unimpressed with the samples they offer readily enough, and settles on an Erdinger. But where else in Salthill is there that has a bit of beer selection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Hear hear! Salthill is well catered for as far as casual eateries go with the likes of Papa Rich, Galleon and Lana. La Collina and Black Cat are fine if you want Italian or tapas-type fare.

The food and service in the Oslo is not good. Plus that old school desk/grannies table type furniture is pretty uncomfortable ;). O'Reillys food is also poor.

I haven't been to Wildes since I tried to go after they opened and they had stopped serving food earlier than their advertised hours. I wasn't a big fan of the Fisherman and reviews on Wildes FB page vary from the excellent to the terrible.

I would really love to see something along the lines of Brasserie on the Corner open in Salthill. The Brasserie serve great food at reasonable prices and have an early bird menu. The ambience is very comfortable and the service always top notch under excellent management. Salt had this kind of vibe for me when it opened but sadly it was not to be. What's needed is somewhere where you feel you're having a night out, rather than a quick bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Surprised no one has mentioned the Gourmet Tart - I’ve had some lovely lunches and dinners in there.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Gourmet Tart - I’ve had some lovely lunches and dinners in there.

You're right, Gourmet Tart is worth a mention but again, it's casual dining. Plus, it's a very noisy space, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

There is a dearth of quality in terms of service and food offerings in Salthill.
    Actually so surprised Salthill Social has folded after barely a year. Salt was sub par recently won't be going back and wildes is just generic in its offerings.

Any chance the thread title could be changed to Salthill Restaurants please? This would be a more accurate reflection of the thread content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DirtBanjo

The Oslo has nice food, especially their wings and fried chicken. Nice beer selection.
    The service is hit and miss, some are great while others have no interest in being there.
    I usually have to get my own menu and have to flag down a staff member to order. (It is usually pretty busy anytime I go there)

Lana have nice food at good prices and decent portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

The food and service in the Oslo is not good. Plus that old school desk/grannies table type furniture is pretty uncomfortable ;).

Agree, the tables and chairs in the Oslo are fit for the skip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Was in Papa Rich last night.

Despite the great price, I wouldn't call it 'casual dining' at all. It kind of covers everything - bringing someone out for a nice meal (gorgeous view), a family dinner, business dinner (ask for the inner room) or just grabbing yer own dinner and not feeling weird. Very impressed. Had been in Wood Quay but not here, still haven't made the Born one.

Side note, wouldn't be gone on the food at Oslo (for my taste) but had nice chips with a beer the other night and some of the staff were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Agree, the tables and chairs in the Oslo are fit for the skip!

I'd guess they're doing exactly what yjey eere intended to do viz stopping anyone from staying too long at a table.

Advertisement