Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to build a house on a budget

Options
  • 06-06-2018 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I've found a site but it's expensive so is going to eat in to my budget.

The proposed house floor area is 109m2.

What is the cheapest way to build - timber frame, block, modular and direct labour or main contractor?

Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spndlewick

As it happens, I was looking into this just out of curiosuty last week, I came across a company in Estonia who make kit A frame houses, the company name is -snip- (I'm new to boards and don't want to break any rules by posting links in case its not allowed, but google the name and "A frame house kit", and you'll find them).
    Their prices seem excellent, though it should be made clear that the posted price is Ex VAT and delivery and doesn't include laying a slab foundation or actually building the kit, nor does it include actually fitting out the interior.  I would conservatively add at LEAST the same amount as the posted price to actualy end up with a liveable home.  Also, the A frame design is strking, but might not be everyone's cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Spndlewick wrote: »
    Their prices seem excellent, though it should be made clear that the posted price is Ex VAT and delivery and doesn't include laying a slab foundation or actually building the kit, nor does it include actually fitting out the interior.

Or a roof, walls, stairs, insulation or floors. All of which would add the price again I would imagine
    Optional extras: roofing materials, facade cladding, eaves and gable boards, internal cladding, Velux roof windows, dormer(s), insulation material, stairs, flooring materials, terrace, upgrade from PVC to wooden windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Spndlewick wrote: »
    As it happens, I was looking into this just out of curiosuty last week, I came across a company in Estonia who make kit A frame houses, the company name is -snip- (I'm new to boards and don't want to break any rules by posting links in case its not allowed, but google the name and "A frame house kit", and you'll find them).
    Their prices seem excellent, though it should be made clear that the posted price is Ex VAT and delivery and doesn't include laying a slab foundation or actually building the kit, nor does it include actually fitting out the interior.  I would conservatively add at LEAST the same amount as the posted price to actualy end up with a liveable home.  Also, the A frame design is strking, but might not be everyone's cup of tea.

What’s the finished cost per square metre including VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swailer

Could you pm me the company name please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spndlewick

no idea, as I said I just happened across the site while idly browsing, I wasn't doing any serious research into the topic. And I hadn't noticed that the roof and insulation were optional extras *facepalm. Still, have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

ATC110 wrote: »
    ......The proposed house floor area is 109m2....
    Does this mean the house is already designed and has planning? One of the easiest way's to reduce the cost of the house is in the design stage. Simple rectangle compact form without any curves, large overhangs or spans, simple roof, no extensive areas of glass or stone and then of course the area.

In terms of construction of block, timber, direct or contractor, etc it completely depends on the design of the house. Direct labor is better for simple houses where the owner has construction knowledge. A really complicated house with no construction experience is a recipe for disaster. Some weird angle or non standard roof junction will end up leaking.

If you've plans post them and we can provide more guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Square, 2 storey (no crazy angles, less roof/less foundation) is one of the cheapest ways to build.
    Am currently building a 100sqm timber frame. Paid an architect to run with this idea, and design me something cool and efficient within my budget.
    Also, depends if you want bells and whistles (UFH, heat pump, double/triple glazing. PVC vs aluclad). What is your budget (just for building)? You see on here a lot, people forget about all the things you have to pay for (ESB, water, enginneers/architects, percolation)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Square, 2 storey (no crazy angles, less roof/less foundation) is one of the cheapest ways to build.
    Am currently building a 100sqm timber frame. Paid an architect to run with this idea, and design me something cool and efficient within my budget.
    Also, depends if you want bells and whistles (UFH, heat pump, double/triple glazing. PVC vs aluclad). What is your budget (just for building)? You see on here a lot, people forget about all the things you have to pay for (ESB, water, enginneers/architects, percolation)

I’m looking at something similar? Can I ask what your budget is the build and the other fees mentioned?

Architects fees seem to kill many projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not sure if it's okay to post a link to a newspaper article on a 25kstg house (of sorts) that goes up in 6hrs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5103629/Home-takes-SIX-hours-build-costs-just-25-000.html

Am sure there's a bit more to it, including costs and extras, still a basic A-Frame is by it's geometric nature very stable.

I’m looking at something similar? Can I ask what your budget is the build and the other fees mentioned?

Architects fees seem to kill many projects

Ive been asked this a couple of times, but I wont give out this information. I wouldnt find this helpful myself.

I think it's more useful to say what your budget is (with or without fees). And come up with a plan.

I know you love the A frame (is it the look or the cost that attracts you?). Am by no way an expert in building regulations, but i do not see that passing (quite strict and getting even more so) building regulations.

Maybe it could fall under a temp dwelling, as it can be deconstructed. You'd have to query your local council on this (what is acceptable/acceptable size without planning permission).

U can technically live in a log cabin if you wish, as long as it follows or doesnt need planning.

I am getting the impression that ur trying to make savings and cut costs. I totally get that. Id googled everything under the sun before coming to the reality that (for me) a proper build (archs/engineers/builder) was the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

Ive been asked this a couple of times, but I wont give out this information. I wouldnt find this helpful myself.

Why? I would

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I know you love the A frame (is it the look or the cost that attracts you?). Am by no way an expert in building regulations, but i do not see that passing (quite strict and getting even more so) building regulations.

Maybe it could fall under a temp dwelling, as it can be deconstructed. You'd have to query your local council on this (what is acceptable/acceptable size without planning permission).

U can technically live in a log cabin if you wish, as long as it follows or doesnt need planning.

There is no ‘temporary’ or ‘technical’ way of avoiding planning for a dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jim_bop

Does your budget support the intent of getting planning or not? This will decide alot as you will need to meet regs etc. Which realistically is the better option if you can afford it. Eco homes can be cheaper but may need an open minded local council planner.

BryanF wrote: »
    There is no ‘temporary’ or ‘technical’ way of avoiding planning for a dwelling.

Are you saying you need planning for a cabin?

I'm not talking about a house.

I know someone down the road from me who lives in a cabin.

Why? I would

Because its my specific project. What everyone puts into their build or wants in their build is different. Really in building its how long is a piece of string with regards budgets.

Like, if there was a specific question about windows or an aspect of the material or something, fair enough. But not a total build (nnone knows what you want in there).

I didnt find it helpful to look at other people's projects and know their costings. Because my project isnt/wont be anything like theirs.

Everyone is very conscious about being ripped off or over charged. And maybe that is the curiosity for costings. But building costs what it costs. And its depends what you want in it (e.g., raft foundations (if suitable for your site) with a biocycle percolation system (council may request you to put in-depends on how your percolation testing goes) plus triple glaze aluclad windows with a large slider and a 15k kitchen. These will push up costings versus a bog standard, very bog standard house - you get what am saying?).

Best thing to do is put a high level wish list together (i.e., 3 beds, must be south facing, I dont care about what type of windows I have, I'd prefer a timber frame etc) and go from there. More will need to be drilled down on later (e.g., heating system). Explain your budget to engineer/arch, and go from there.

I still feel if you said your budget and what you are possibly looking to build/do (if youve thought about it), then youd get more specific feedback.

Edit: I came on here looking for advice about 1.5 years ago. I couldnt get my head around how much things cost and how long it took to build a house (between planning and actual build). I really couldnt get my head around this.

Id a type of house in mind. I was told on here (shouted down, seems to be the way on this forum) that no way in hell I'd build for that budget. Well, its 1.5 years later, and I have. So, anything is possible. Youve just got to have to be clear on what you want, have a plan, and keep digging around. I will say, I have gone for a building company. I have a contract with the builders. I have a finish date. And penalty clause built in (if they go over). Again, I'd been told "good luck with getting a builder to sign a contract". And I've done it. I kept digging around all the time, even the arch was surprised how well its turned out (lots of negotiations with the builder before contract was signed). AM now into phase 2, who knows what that will bring!

One of my teachers in school always drilled into me "organisation is half the battle" and I approached building like this too. As per above, have a plan (think about what you want) versus your budget.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Are you saying you need planning for a cabin?

Yes

Advertisement