Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portuguese Multibanco ATMs/card readers rejecting ATM/Visa cards

Options
  • 06-06-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in Portugal currently and all Multibanco card readers are rejecting my own normal Visa Debit / ATM card and my partners Student Debit / ATM card as if they are faulty. Some stores have Multibanco operated EFT payment systems and these are also rejecting

Euronet ATMs are working but these only exist in tourist areas (they are a dynamic currency conversion operator, so they probably don't even want the Euro transactions) and I'm going to a more rural area soon

Is there a specific known fault here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm in Portugal currently and all Multibanco card readers are rejecting my own normal Visa Debit / ATM card and my partners Student Debit / ATM card as if they are faulty. Some stores have Multibanco operated EFT payment systems and these are also rejecting

Euronet ATMs are working but these only exist in tourist areas (they are a dynamic currency conversion operator, so they probably don't even want the Euro transactions) and I'm going to a more rural area soon

Is there a specific known fault here?

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Any of our Visa Debit cards should work anywhere with the Visa logo. Can I ask if the retailers are swiping the card or using the chip and PIN option on them when you're attempting these transactions?

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cards are either being rejected immediately or acting as if a swipe and pin card (card term telling you to take the card out before pin entry)

It's different cards on different accounts on all terminals or ATMs used in the dominant network in aa big tourist country so I would have thought it might be noticed. MasterCard is working but I don't want to pay cash fees on it; and the euronet network ATMs are still taking the visa cards

Cards are either being rejected immediately or acting as if a swipe and pin card (card term telling you to take the card out before pin entry)

It's different cards on different accounts on all terminals or ATMs used in the dominant network in aa big tourist country so I would have thought it might be noticed. MasterCard is working but I don't want to pay cash fees on it; and the euronet network ATMs are still taking the visa cards

As your cards are working in some ATM's this would mean that they are not blocked or damaged in anyway. We are also not aware of any specific ATM operator rejecting our cards. Once they accept Visa they should accept our cards. I'd ask you to contact this company directly to see if they have had any issue with accepting certain cards as I've checked here and can confirm that all of our payment and card systems are operating normally.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

This isn't one company - it is an entire payment network. They aren't going to field calls from customers and its nearly every single ATM in a big country as well as the payment terminals in most shops.

Multibanco is used by Santander, BCP, Caixa General and so on so its basically the entire bank network in Portugal - Euronet are a small private operator.

This would be the same as all Banking Federation ATMs in Ireland not accepting cards - you, UB, AIB, PTSB all refusing at once. Its a pretty serious imposition and its something that I as a consumer cannot chase up.

This isn't one company - it is an entire payment network. They aren't going to field calls from customers and its nearly every single ATM in a big country as well as the payment terminals in most shops.

Multibanco is used by Santander, BCP, Caixa General and so on so its basically the entire bank network in Portugal - Euronet are a small private operator.

This would be the same as all Banking Federation ATMs in Ireland not accepting cards - you, UB, AIB, PTSB all refusing at once. Its a pretty serious imposition and its something that I as a consumer cannot chase up.

And can I ask on these machines does it have the Visa logo or confirm that they accept Visa Cards? As our cards should be accepted anywhere that accepts Visa cards.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement

Yes, they all display Visa logos and they (one of them was the same ATM, I'm in the same place) all worked fine last year and the year before

Someone else Irish here using PTSB has no issues but BOI Visa cards simply aren't working.

Yes, they all display Visa logos and they (one of them was the same ATM, I'm in the same place) all worked fine last year and the year before

Someone else Irish here using PTSB has no issues but BOI Visa cards simply aren't working.

I can confirm that we haven't changed anything in the way that we operate our Visa Debit cards, and they should work on any machine that accepts Visa Cards. For this reason I'd ask you to either contact this company directly or a Bank that would facilitate card payments to their accounts using this company as they should also be able to check with the retailer to see if they have made any changes to their procedures that may accept take our cards.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Again, there is nobody I can contact directly except my own bank. This is an entire (large, tourist popular) countries ATM network that's causing problems not one bank!

I'll be back in Ireland shortly so it won't be an issue for me anymore but it isn't just affecting me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks L1011 for coming back to us and sorry to hear you're still having difficulties with your card.

If you can login www.365online.com select the 'Service Desk' facility and from the drop down the 'Ask A Question' option, an Advisor can check if there's any restrictions placed on your card. Your partner can log in separately to their online banking and send a query also on their card.

You can also call our Card Security Team on 00353 56775 7007 to have the cards checked.

Many Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement