Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

substitution close to renewal

Options
  • 06-06-2018 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

My 22 expires September.
    Is there a cut off point on substitutions prior to expiry/renewal?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I don't think so. I substituted a while back with only a few months left on the original firearm.
    The substitution only took a matter of weeks. When I got the new licence its expiry date was the same as the original firearms licence. So within the month or so of getting the gun subbed I had to renew the licence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you've received the FCR then renew and sub.

IF you have not received the FCR then sub now. Just check the new details are right on the FCR.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I was not allowed to do a sub when the FCA form was in. Had to wait until the license was issued

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

You can't sub once the renewal process has commenced. And that usually means from when AGS generate your prepopulated FCA1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

clivej wrote: »
    I was not allowed to do a sub when the FCA form was in.
    You can't sub once the renewal process has commenced. And that usually means from when AGS generate your prepopulated FCA1.
    That is the FCR i mentioned above:
    Cass wrote: »
    If you've received the FCR then renew and sub.

IF you have not received the FCR then sub now. Just check the new details are right on the FCR.
    The FCR is the Firearms Certificate Renewal form. On the Garda website it states only this form will be accepted when renewing a firearms license. As you said, HalfCocked, it is pre-populated and hence the reason it's used over the FCA1.

I've heard lads say they have used an FCA1 and it might well be the case, but it's not supposed to be used and the FCA1 does not actually allow for a renewal. It only deals with new applications and subs. So if you use an FCA1 to renew you're technically applying for a new license and not a renewal.

A mate done this a few years back when he never got an FCR (which does happen). He got the license and then two weeks later received the FCR to renew the firearm. Meaning he would have two licenses for the same firearm. Took a lot of pulling out hair, and biting his fist, but after a serious amount of phone calls he got it sorted.

Simple rule is if you have a firearm you should have the FCR within 3 months of the expiry of the license. If you don't receive an FCR then ring the station and ask them to make sure one is issued.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Had sub for ready to send in friday,
    Just received the fcr in the post today. Lucky....

Current licence out the middle of September (3 months away),

So thread with caution if your in the last 3 months

Advertisement