Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saddle position forward or back , does it matter much ?

Options
  • 06-06-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

How do you decide where set you saddle position horizontal along the rails ? I see some videos where they use the plumb bob knee over pedal spindle method but have read in other places that the KOPS method is nonsense .

On my different bikes my knee is in different positions as I have just been moving the saddle around depending on how much reach I wanted .On one bike i have moved the saddle from fully back to fully forward but be honest I don't feel any difference in ease of pedaling (not that there isn't one) just the shorter or longer reach.

On one of my bikes pulling the saddle forward so that i am I'm knee over spindle makes the cockpit too tight and I already have a nice long 120 stem on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you have the same saddle on each bike?

I have 3 bikes and I have a Fizic Arione saddle in each bike. Same saddle but each saddle position is slightly different in each bike. This is due to slightly different frames on each bike.

But, the reach, saddle height and knee over pedal position is pretty much the same on each bike.

I find that because the Arione saddle is flat, your ass tends to find its on position in the saddle anyway. Other contoured saddles tend to hold your ass in a specific position.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I used to adjust the saddle to a position where I could produce most power, but most power, as I found out, does not always result in higher speed.
    For me best saddle position is where I can spin pedals fastest and smoothest, say 160-180rpm with minimal rocking, where the stroke is most balanced. Best done on rollers or a trainer with little or no load. This works best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have three road bikes with the same saddle fitted to all three but its in a different position (up to 10mm difference fore/aft) on each of them as the frames are very different. I tend to move/back and forth on the saddle quite regularly so I don't think 5/10mm fore/aft makes much of a difference in my case. I find all 3 bikes comfortable, 1 has a very low race position whereas the other two are less aggressive geometry suited to sportives/endurance with one being much more relaxed than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I try to have my saddles as far forward as possible as both my seatposts are setback to some extent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement