Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mansfield trial collapses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

gunny123 wrote: »
    I wonder was the court case itself a punishment ? You know "we know we won't get a conviction, but we can have the unpleasant prospect of a court case hanging over you for a few years".

If that would be the case that's a state of affairs called abuse of process and potentially very costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I had a limit of 100 on my shotgun cert, going back 30 years to my pre leaving cert days.
    Asked for it to be upped last year, cause I started a bit if clay shooting.

Asked for 750.

Garda who deals with such things rang me to quiz me. Told them the reason.
    "So you shoot clays at a club then?"
    Yes, says I.

"Right so, photo your club membership card and leave it in the station addressed to me, and I will consider it"

Before I got leaving it in, a new licence arrived in the post with a 600 cartridge limit.

It'd be hard to know how their head works sometimes.

That's an easy one. He just wanted some documentation on record to justify the increase. 500 or 750 would have made more sense. Two slabs and four boxes is a bit of an odd quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That's an easy one. He just wanted some documentation on record to justify the increase. 500 or 750 would have made more sense. Two slabs and four boxes is a bit of an odd quantity.

They might have waited until I actually sent it in then !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

scwazrh wrote: »
    How is it possible to have 9000 rounds on a single license?The commissioners guidelines is 750-1000 for target shooting. What purpose would be suitable to allow 9 times the average ?
    The commissioner, whatever their other merits and virtues, is not an expert on target shooting. The Gardai have very, very, very few members who would be and most of those are experts due to their hobbies, not their profession, and their input was not what was used when setting the recommendations.

For example, for air rifle, you buy pellets in tins of 500. If you're seriously doing target shooting with air rifle, you'll get through that in a moderately heavy weekend. We've done training sessions where you'd shoot twice that many in one session (granted, it takes several hours). And you wouldn't buy H&N today and RWS tomorrow and random brand X the next day; you start off just getting one brand after testing a few; and then you'd buy one batch after testing a few of those and then you'd start going to the factory, testing a few dozen batches and then buying one.

By the time you're batch testing at home, you're buying 5000 pellets at a time because if you buy more than one tin from one batch, you're basically buying a sleeve (otherwise you get mixed batches) and that's ten tins. By the time you get to the factory, many brands have a minimum purchase of about 10k and you're usually getting 20k-30k if not more (especially for air, as lead's cheap compared to rounds). Same applies to air pistol, smallbore rifle and smallbore pistol.

Maybe for clays 1000 rounds is reasonable for a club shooter, I wouldn't know; but part of me doubts that the ICPSA's ISSF team would find it workable.

TL;DR - it's not 9 times the actual average, the figure in the guidelines is, not to put too fine a point on it, wrong. It's far too low for serious target shooting and impractically low for all but the most casual target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just to give you an idea on what a sponsored pro shooting for a gun manufacturer will leave in spent brass in each separate category/ calibre on the floor after practice for a season. About 80/100 thousand rounds [and a new gun, please.]Even they say without sponsorship on the ammo front, it is impossible to compete in the top notch.

Semi-pro non sponsored with any sort of a chance will be burning about half that if you can afford it.

Hopefuls about a quarter, and amateurs around 5 thousand a season.

It's one reason one of our most promising female clay shooters quit and pulled out of the Olympics a few years ago. Cost of ammo, and no sponsorship on the ammo front.So having a thousand rounds in serious practice for clays or pistol in the big picture is nothing much at all. As Sparks pointed out with his airgun pellets, the exact same applies to, and even more so live ammo. Batch testing becomes deriguer if you are seriously competitive.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Found Guilty today of attempting to pervert the course of justice and not guilty of conspiring to kidnap.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Already covered, nevermind

Advertisement