Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attachment for this garden tap?

Options
  • 07-06-2018 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I bought a vonhaus hose reel
    https://tinyurl.com/yahsjck9

It didn't have any tap connector so I bought this one from Hozelock
    https://tinyurl.com/ya5nk2my

It does 'work' but it's a bit leaky. Is there any better solution?
    Pic of the tap and tap connector attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

the hose can push directly onto that tap with no fitting, just tighten it with a jubilee clip,
    or else that hole connection screws off at the hex shape and you can replace that with a threaded hose connection
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingfisher-Pro-Platinum-Universal-Brass/dp/B007VDTZBE/ref=pd_sim_86_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1JEBT0YAWEDD5SG9KH3P

https://www.woodies.ie/hozelock-outdoor-threaded-tap-hose-end-connector-twin-pack-820593

I got ones cheaper in my local hardware, worked well, no leaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I would guess the OP is missing the washer out of the brass fitting thats already attached to the tap, it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.

What I do is put a short length of hose on those fittings so the hose just about touches the ground then I put a hose connector on the end of that. That way its easy to fill watering cans, knapsack sprayers etc and still have some form of quick fit hose connector. Personally I use Geka couplings but thats just a preference I've developed over the years because I'm still using some of the same ones I had nearly 40 years ago, they don't wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

my3cents wrote: »
    I would guess the OP is missing the washer out of the brass fitting thats already attached to the tap, it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.

What I do is put a short length of hose on those fittings so the hose just about touches the ground then I put a hose connector on the end of that. That way its easy to fill watering cans, knapsack sprayers etc and still have some form of quick fit hose connector. Personally I use Geka couplings but thats just a preference I've developed over the years because I'm still using some of the same ones I had nearly 40 years ago, they don't wear out.

That’s a great idea to have a short length to the ground and connect the hose off that.might just steal that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Cheers. The tap itself is perfect. It's just when I put that Hozelock attachment on and even at its tightest the water fizzes out albeit I still get good pressure through the hose.

So best solution? Attach short hose directly to the tap, tighten with jubilee and then attach the hose to hose reel?

Cheers. The tap itself is perfect. It's just when I put that Hozelock attachment on and even at its tightest the water fizzes out albeit I still get good pressure through the hose.

So best solution? Attach short hose directly to the tap, tighten with jubilee and then attach the hose to hose reel?

I think you are missing a trick here?

Have you removed the brass hose connector from the tap?

Then I strongly suspect you got a threaded fitting with the VonHaus 20M Garden Hose set that screws onto the tap in place of the brass hose connector.

Edit> From that Amazon questions for the VonHaus 20M Garden Hose set
    Hi can you tell me is the connector a push on to tap please?
    Answer: The connecter supplied screws onto a standard threaded outside tap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

I prefer just putting one of (Edit: posted wrong one - see what My3Cents has below) on myself. Easy to take off when you want to just use the tap and not finnicky or prone to popping off.
    You just screw off the fitting on the tap and pp this on in its place.

I prefer just putting one of these on myself. Easy to take off when you want to just use the tap and not finnicky or prone to popping off.
    You just screw off the fitting on the tap and pp this on in its place.
    61s1tV%2B358L._SL1326_.jpg

Thats a hose connector with a female push fit connector on the other end.

The op actually needs 41BMQWZFEYL.jpg to screw onto the tap but as I said an adapter like that (albeit plastic) should have come with the Von Haus hose kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

my3cents wrote: »
    Thats a hose connector with a female push fit connector on the other end.
    Don't think it is, but it's definitely the wrong size- you've got the right one. My bad either way, I was too hasty.

Don't think it is, but it's definitely the wrong size- you've got the right one. My bad either way, I was too hasty.

No panic you should see the amount of quick editing I do after I go back and actually read the OP :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Op have another look in the box, the piece you need is actually pictured in your first link on the end of the hose. It's very common not to know that the brass fitting on the end of the tap has to be screwed off first before screwing on the new one. There may be an insert piece on the new one too to allow for different tap diameters which may or may not be needed. If for some reason it's missing from the kit they're 1.50 in b&q for their own brand, 'threaded tap connector', it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Op have another look in the box, the piece you need is actually pictured in your first link on the end of the hose. It's very common not to know that the brass fitting on the end of the tap has to be screwed off first before screwing on the new one. There may be an insert piece on the new one too to allow for different tap diameters which may or may not be needed. If for some reason it's missing from the kit they're 1.50 in b&q for their own brand, 'threaded tap connector', it works fine.

Bingo! I didn't see the little attachment in the box (similar to picture of gold one above). I also didn't realise the tap could be screwed off. All good now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Perfect. All you need now is a hose ban to put the feet up.

Advertisement