Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for film setup

• 07-06-2018 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I'd like to do some videos like this man does around the streets of Japan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVkbdAphkhA

His current setup is a Lumix GH5 camera, 8-18 f2.8-4 lens and Beholder EC1 stabilizer.

He used to use a GH4 and that was excellent aswell.

Still, at 500 euro a pop for each item, it's dear. What would be some options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If thats out of budget the very minimum you could do would be the Osmo and a decent phone or Osmo and GoPro 5 / 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Gimbal is the most important and the most expensive part.

If you already have a camera capable of recording high quality video you could get close to that.

Camera and lens are his choice, but results may vary.

I can't believe this guy walks for hours recording this btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'd want the very wide angle lens that he uses so I don't think there is a way around going with the large camera that takes those lenses.
    Can I skimp money-wise on a wide angle lens, for say a GH4?

wonski wrote: »
    I can't believe this guy walks for hours recording this btw :)

I think he's brilliant. Do you hear the sound aswell? It's the same as natural hearing. Wonder what he's using there.

edit: Is it just me or have YouTube removed the ability to play video at 4k?

Gh 4 should do just fine (not sure what the specs are, so check first) add a second hand lens, and you save few hundreds.

I am shooting Nikon, so not very good at prices of Panasonic gear.

I have Sigma 10-20 3.5 and it only cost me around 300 new, but the lens he uses seems to be of very good quality, Leica is better regarded than Sigma anyway.

Edit: looking at the prices of that lens you might want to use third party lens ;)

• Advertisement

Here is a sample done with Sigma 10-20

https://vimeo.com/134429246

Just a follow up on this. I got a Panasonic G7 camera, saved a couple of hundred getting one of those as opposed to second hand GH4.

Lens wise I got the G-Vario 7-14mm lens that was made by Panasonic aswell. Widest angle, light, that was expensive, nearly 5 hundred notes.

Last thing I have to get is the gimbal, have seen cheapish ones on the Chinese sites for around 260 euros. This is where I'm very happy with the G7, it's plastic body is light so will go easier on the gimbal moters.

I'm actually amazed most by the sound quality of the built in mic. Had no idea that a built in mic could be so life like. Yous should have told me that, shame on yous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it sounds good typically itll be destroyed by wind, if that happens consider something like this (Casey Neistat does it very successfully)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q502hvFvlTM

Advertisement