Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Deposit after leaving rental property

Options
  • 07-06-2018 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

What is an acceptable amount of time to wait for contact from a landlord in relation to the return of a deposit on a rental property you have just left please? We left a rental property on the 02.06.18 and LL took keys back on the 06.06.18 we req'd a return of the deposit which we know we will have an issue with as she is not a very agreeable person. We left the house spotless and took videos and pictures to prove such but I am just wondering how long should I wait before contacting her to get the deposit back because she is the type of LL who hopes you will not make any contact and she can just keep the 1k. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Two weeks is generally considered a reasonable timeframe for a landlord to return the deposit and/or provide documentation supporting any deductions they've made. I'd follow up with the landlord via phone after a week or so as a "gentle reminder", and if nothing has happened after two weeks, send them a written demand via post. If they still don't respond or if they actively refuse to return your deposit without providing a legitimate reason, file a complaint with the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Until there is a regulated 3rd party charged with holding deposits, this is continuing to happen.
    I've been a LL and a tenant and generally the rule has been the deposit is the last months rent (once the LL has had periodic inspections of the property and knows it hasnt been damaged etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

dennyk wrote: »
    Two weeks is generally considered a reasonable timeframe for a landlord to return the deposit and/or provide documentation supporting any deductions they've made. I'd follow up with the landlord via phone after a week or so as a "gentle reminder", and if nothing has happened after two weeks, send them a written demand via post. If they still don't respond or if they actively refuse to return your deposit without providing a legitimate reason, file a complaint with the RTB.

Thanks I will do that.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Until there is a regulated 3rd party charged with holding deposits, this is continuing to happen.
    I've been a LL and a tenant and generally the rule has been the deposit is the last months rent (once the LL has had periodic inspections of the property and knows it hasnt been damaged etc)

I've been a LL myself and used the standard rules for when my tenant was leaving to return her deposit, we paid rent in advance all the time so when we moved in we paid 2k to LL on the 29.07.12 so that was deposit and one months rent in advance and we have done this each month so on the 1st of each month she received the rent so the last full months rent she rec'd from us for May was on the 1st of May and I have said that if she so wants she cant take 2 days rent for the 2 days we were there into June. She is not a great LL and never maintained the property, no services, no alarms, no painting and we were there for 6 years. Alot more problems with the house that she just told us to fix ourselves if we had an issue with it so I just want to be clear on how long I have to wait if you get me as I imagine we will end up at the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

2 weeks is generally considered the maximum time unless there are extenuating circumstances. Last place we left before we bought had it back in 24 hrs.

• Advertisement

Askthe EA wrote: »
    2 weeks is generally considered the maximum time unless there are extenuating circumstances. Last place we left before we bought had it back in 24 hrs.

Thats brilliant doubt we will get it back quick at all but I just want to have all my information correct for her because we will be in for a fight to get it back sadly she is not an ideal LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Catlady76 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant doubt we will get it back quick at all but I just want to have all my information correct for her because we will be in for a fight to get it back sadly she is not an ideal LL.

Good luck. I once waited for a landlady outside her place of work and walked to the ATM with her...Got most of it back then but the rest took months

Graces7 wrote: »
    Good luck. I once waited for a landlady outside her place of work and walked to the ATM with her...Got most of it back then but the rest took months

That's terrible it gives good landlords a bad name, I was a LL myself and I think I was really good to my tenant we ended up friends after. My LL once wanted to keep 2 months rent on me because the bank paid her twice she said she would keep it for the forthcoming months rent so that I didn't have to pay her again, I refused as I said I cant give you 1100 extra she eventually returned it less 150 as she said that she was putting the rent up and was deducting the following months rent from that money so you can imagine what I am dealing with. I am on 2 minds as to whether I should report her for the state the house is in but dont want any extra hassle to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

2 weeks to a month. Landlord needs to ensure that all utility bills are cleared. Electricity , Gas, bins. That can actually take a while

ted1 wrote: »
    2 weeks to a month. Landlord needs to ensure that all utility bills are cleared. Electricity , Gas, bins. That can actually take a while

Yeah we cleared all of them, closed accounts and passed on her details to each provider everything was on DD so all bar one for the bins is clear which I will sort this week.
    We got the place professionally cleaned and cleared out all rubbish, cut grass, cleaned shed and back garden does not have any debris or rubbish in it. The house has some wear & tear but seen as it was not done up since the 80's it looks alot worse. When we took on the house it was filthy, not cleaned and garden was in a state with grass up to our waists we sorted all that out as when we asked her to so it she said well if you want to move in that bad you can just do it yourself we should have known better but needed somewhere fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

But these wouldn't be in the landlords name? :confused:

Doop wrote: »
    They wont, but if the tenant hasnt paid the bill the utilities could be cut off.
    They should have been transferred to the LL name on the day of moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

As a landlord I've always returned the deposit as soon as house is vacated and inspected, usually on the same day.

Once I almost returned a deposit to a group of girls the day before they were due to move but thought better of it. Some of their friends joined them later and held a party there that night and did considerable damage to carpets and left burn marks on surfaces, including the mantelpiece.

I held a good portion of the deposit, not actually enough to cover all the damage. It was before the RTB so they brought me to the small claims court for deposit return. Luckily I had taken photos on the previous day when I inspected and could compare them with the damage.

The judge was very gentle with them but said they were lucky I wasn't charging them more than the deposit for the repairs. One set of parents apologised afterwards as they were unaware of the whole story.

I was sorry for the girls as things had got out of hand and they had been excellent tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They need to be cleared otherwise they could be cut off. Also it’s in the T&Cs of every lease that they are paid and cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

They wont, but if the tenant hasnt paid the bill the utilities could be cut off.
    They should have been transferred to the LL name on the day of moving out.

That's just not true. The utilities will not be cut off.

I had a funny one a few years back, group of students renting out a house. They moved out in dribs and drabs so we wouldnt return the deposit until they were all out. This ultimately meant that one girl was waiting 3 weeks before the last moved out.

Her parents were on every week putting pressure on for her deposit alone to go back as she had left her room tidy. We refused. They got angrier and angrier.

When they all finally left, the place was a kip. Took pictures, got cleaners in, replaced damaged appliances etc (including the mattress from their daughters room). Wasnt much left of the deposit to give back. The parents went mad. Arrived into the office demanding to see photographic evidence and invoices, I asked them were they sure, they mightnt like what theyd see. They didnt take the hint.

Proceeded to show them the pictures of the house which were poor, but when it came to their little darlings room, they went pale. Stood up and walked out. We never heard from them again. Im not sure the father wanted to see the (copious) evidence of his little girls nightime entertainment.

Moral of the story, experienced landlords never rush to give deposits back.

big syke wrote: »

They can be cut off if the bills werent paid. Until the utility company signs up the landlord as the new account holder the tenants are liable. If cut off has been put in motion and its carried out the landlord is liable for reconnection fee. This would come from the deposit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the tenant does not transfer the utilities back to the property owner on the day they move out, along with a final reading, and ensure that they clear the bill- it remains associated with the tenant- and if its not cleared- it most certainly could be cut off.

Nothing in life is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In my past tenancies, the landlord has provided me with a cheque on the day of moving out, following inspection. I’d be willing to wait two weeks max but obviously the sooner, the better.

Well an update is that she was showing 2 couples the house yesterday to rent it for a way higher price then we were paying and she is not selling even though we were told that was the reason she was ending the tenancy so I am getting onto the RTB today its not acceptable to do that.

• Advertisement

If the tenant does not transfer the utilities back to the property owner on the day they move out, along with a final reading, and ensure that they clear the bill- it remains associated with the tenant- and if its not cleared- it most certainly could be cut off.

Nothing in life is free.

All bills were cleared on the day we moved out all bar one was paid via DD so none are outstanding.

Nothing in life is free.

It takes one phone call to each utility to transfer back to the LL name... if there is a debt.. it follows the tenant, using 'transfer of utilities' as an excuse for a two week or more holding of a deposit is simply unfair, there may be other reasons but this imo is simply not valid, pick up the phone get it done... simples.

Side note..Why the govt cant get its act together to set up a holding authority/agency is beyond me

I worked in an energy supply company in a past employment and still do some freelance consulting for them.

For residential and smaller business customers (essentially LVMD and below) the switchover process is you give your final meter reading on the date of closure. Your supplier then sends a notice to ESBN of this to terminate the customer at the MPRN. If no new customer is assigned within 7 days a disconnect is scheduled.

So. You can say "that's just not true" all you want, but the fact of the matter is that that is absolutely how it works.

It takes one phone call to each utility to transfer back to the LL name... if there is a debt.. it follows the tenant, using 'transfer of utilities' as an excuse for a two week or more holding of a deposit is simply unfair, there may be other reasons but this imo is simply not valid, pick up the phone get it done... simples.

Side note..Why the govt cant get its act together to set up a holding authority/agency is beyond me
    You cannot "sign someone else" up to an account.
    You can only close yours.

You used to be able to give the name of the new occupant and sign them up. Nowadays you can give the name of the new occupant but all that does is send the letter advising that no customer is assigned to that MPRN in the name that you give, instead of the standard "the occupant".

Can anyone now advise on where I stand in regards to her renting the place out again even though she told us she was selling and sent a letter from a solicitor saying that but now is showing it to people to rent out I am sure that is not legal to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nothing in life is free.
    There is no need for the landlord to make sure all previous bills have been cleared though (under data protection regulations should it even be possible for them to find out?) as they can just get the connection put in their name the day the tenant moves out, which is the original point that poster seemed to be making.

Can anyone now advise on where I stand in regards to her renting the place out again even though she told us she was selling and sent a letter from a solicitor saying that but now is showing it to people to rent out I am sure that is not legal to do that?
    take a case with the PTRB, procedure is on their website
    retain any evidence you can. Burden of proof is on you. (He who asserts must prove)

Is the property in a rent pressure zone?

I think you can go to the RTB however, someone else may be better able to advise, unfortunately what you describe is getting more and more common. RPZ's great in theory but seems to be little backup/enforcement.

Is the property in a rent pressure zone?

I think you can go to the RTB however, someone else may be better able to advise, unfortunately what you describe is getting more and more common. RPZ's great in theory but seems to be little backup/enforcement.
    RPZ is irrelevant here
    The issue is that notice of termination was served on the grounds of selling the property

If that is no longer the case then the LL is obliged to give first refusal to the OP.

• Advertisement

take a case with the PTRB, procedure is on their website
    retain any evidence you can. Burden of proof is on you. (He who asserts must prove)

Yes have some proof neighbor saw her last night showing 2 couple the house and they were asking her after what was the area like as they were thinking of renting the place but I cant seem to find the house on any sites just looking now so will go to the RTB.

Advertisement