Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun 2: the important question

Options
  • 07-06-2018 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

For those of a certain age (old), the movie Top Gun holds a special place in our hearts. Having been the first movie in modern (-ish) times to feature the experience of fighter pilots, for many it set fantasies (of various types) aflame.

However, for most enthusiasts, there was only one star of the show...

the Grumman F-14 Tomcat!

Now with rumours abound that the long awaited sequel is underway, with Tom Cruise aboard, and with whisperings of Val Kilmer involved too, the most
    important question is what steed will it feature?

A teaser pic from the man himself shows the unmistakable image of an F-18 Hornet (though it's impossible to tell which variant) in the background.

https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1002062865971499008

Is this a missed opportunity to tout the capabilities of the F-35B? Or are there simply not enough of them to field a movie's worth? Is it too expensive or unreliable to involve in such a project?

As much as I like the Hornet, it is long in the tooth at this stage, much more so than the Tomcat was when it starred (entered service 1974, movie made in 1985), as the Hornet entered service in 1983!

Hmmm.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'd rather they didn't make another one, that movie is the best gay movie ever.the phallic appearance of the F14 with its powerful thrust and speed awakened strange thoughts in many a young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I'd rather they didn't make another one, that movie is the best gay movie ever.

Indeed. It was many years later that I sat down with my two sons (12 and 10) to watch it when I fairly quickly realised that it wasn't suitable on a number of fronts!

Still, in this enlightened age... :)

To pay for Tom Cruises wage costs had to be cut elsewhere.

Maverick will be instructing drone operators using a flight simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,708 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I suspect a Super Hornet which has some visual resemblance and component carry-over but is really a different aircraft. Entered service in 2000.

Yep rectangular intake ramps on the Super Hornet, oval on the Hornet.

170px-Superhornet_vs_hornet.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

They'll fight against Iranian F14s, the sole remaining operator.

Presumably they shot the film what whatever planes the Navy let them use. As the F35C is only entering operational testing this year it would be mad to have them use them for the film.

F35B is Marines, and so far as I know real operational introduction remains in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Good Kill?
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3297330/
    To pay for Tom Cruises wage costs had to be cut elsewhere.

Maverick will be instructing drone operators using a flight simulator.

V

I suspect a Super Hornet which has some visual resemblance and component carry-over but is really a different aircraft. Entered service in 2000.

Yep rectangular intake ramps on the Super Hornet, oval on the Hornet.

170px-Superhornet_vs_hornet.jpg

Yeah, I thought I spotted the square section intakes, but couldn't be sure.

Even so, service entrance at 2000 still makes it an old bird by 2018!

@CrankyHaus: Of course, you are correct, it is the F-35C that would do the carrier hops. But their service record so far has been somewhat chequered with reliability issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Instead of dogfighting Russian MIGs in a Tomcat it'll be bombing Afghan weddings with a Predator drone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

marketty wrote: »
    Instead of dogfighting Russian MIGs in a Tomcat it'll be bombing Afghan weddings with a Predator drone

No. No it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Could they not do all the flight scenes with CGI and thus use whatever aircraft they wanted?

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Could they not do all the flight scenes with CGI and thus use whatecer aircraft they wanted?

Aye, that's a distinct possibility. At least they could have realistic aggressors then, as opposed to Northtrop T-5s in silly schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

They might just use SU-30s and Mig-29s from other country users ... dont' the red flag agressor squadron have a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Could they not do all the flight scenes with CGI and thus use whatever aircraft they wanted?

Or will he insist on flying them himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Kenny Loggins says he's doing a new version of Dangerzone for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The F-35C, while a nice plane, could not work in a Top Gun Movie.

For starters, Maverick & Iceman would be too old in real life to even be an instructor on them never-mind a pilot so had he been on a F-35 it would complete make believe.

Secondly, The F-35 is not a dogfighter like the F-14 or even the F-18. A F-35 would take off, Computer detects target 30 miles away, Pilot fires missile, Enemy is blown up while F-35 is 20 miles away, F-35 goes home.

Not great for a film that need action scenes to work.

The F-35B could have worked in some ground attack plot as they are fully combat capable and in service with the USMC, but as I said Maverick and Iceman would be too old to be considered to take part in the F-35 program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yep as mentioned above the F35 is not a dog fighter like the F18. Topgun pilots train to dogfight at Miramar, something which I don't believe F35 pilots do.

F18 is a proven fighter and it's tech is no longer classified like the F35. Can't imagine the Navy would like to divulge it's new secrets to Hollywood.

Don't forget the F14 was in service for 12 years before Topgun was made so the F18 follows suit.

Looks like they use Vipers for the aggressor squadron. Not very authentic, that.

So, F-18 Super Hornets against F-16s. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The F-35C, while a nice plane, could not work in a Top Gun Movie.

For starters, Maverick & Iceman would be too old in real life to even be an instructor on them never-mind a pilot so had he been on a F-35 it would complete make believe.

Secondly, The F-35 is not a dogfighter like the F-14 or even the F-18. A F-35 would take off, Computer detects target 30 miles away, Pilot fires missile, Enemy is blown up while F-35 is 20 miles away, F-35 goes home.

Not great for a film that need action scenes to work.

The F-35B could have worked in some ground attack plot as they are fully combat capable and in service with the USMC, but as I said Maverick and Iceman would be too old to be considered to take part in the F-35 program.

It's not a training video, it's a make believe fantasy, 99% of the intended viewing audience won't give a fiddler's about technicalities like this, they'll just have a need, a need for speed.
    So long as it entertains and thrills that's all the realism the audience require.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Heresy! We nerds need actual aircraft not soon-to-be-dated CGI!

As for the argument about the F18 Super Hornet being outdated, well the USAF/USN are constantly upgrading their aircraft software to work with newer hardware. So the 2000 F18E/F is a different beast to the 2018 F18E/F. Then there is the F18G Growler or the proposed Advanced Super Hornet.

If you want a cheesy fighter jock movie then check out the 2005 French gem "Sky Fighters" with the Mirage 2000 as its star.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6SfE7ygSDw

French Armee de l'Air allowed maneuvers with closure of 3 metres.
    One memorable scene over Paris was actually filmed during the Bastille Day flyover with a cameras inside dummy tanks as they werent allowed to just operate over the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Looks like they use Vipers for the aggressor squadron. Not very authentic, that.

So, F-18 Super Hornets against F-16s. Hmm.

F-16N's in all likelihood. There were 26 single seat and 4 two seat, which were delivered between 1988 and 1998. The N's are a basic Block 30 Viper C/D, with a strengthened strengthened wing and stripped of the gun.

• Advertisement

It's not a training video, it's a make believe fantasy, 99% of the intended viewing audience won't give a fiddler's about technicalities like this, they'll just have a need, a need for speed.
    So long as it entertains and thrills that's all the realism the audience require.

If they want any co-operation from the USN, they will need to make it somewhat accurate and believable as happened with the first film.

What was it? A 600% increase in recruitment to the USN after the first Top Gun was released?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Tenger wrote: »
    Heresy! We nerds need actual aircraft not soon-to-be-dated CGI!

Wonder will they use the same stock flyby and explosion videos as the original film....which were used in different films and TV series (JAG being the only one I can remember at the minute).

Will there be a beach volleyball scene in the new one? As it's now PC, there will have to be scantily clad women playing in it this time.......and also flying the planes :D

FanadMan wrote: »
    Wonder will they use the same stock flyby and explosion videos as the original film....which were used in different films and TV series (JAG being the only one I can remember at the minute).

Will there be a beach volleyball scene in the new one? As it's now PC, there will have to be scantily clad women playing in it this time.......and also flying the planes :D

Eh, I don't think G-Suit and scantily clad go in the same sentence, but I see what you are getting at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

There is no discussion concerning TopGun . It is the greatest military aviation film ever, or at least so far . And definitely , if you are of a certain age bracket, it had a salient effect on your life. I saw it originally in the Adelphi, where , as if you werent excited enough, the
    filler-in pre film, was 40 minutes of BAOR Lynx heli operations . I know i brought some girlfriend with me , tbh, cant say i noticed if she was still there at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

FanadMan wrote: »

I have a feeling that that and event similar to the the scene in the bar might not make it into the movie, from what I have heard, such gatherings have been a big No No since the Tailhook Incident ( Tailhook '91 Symposium (Sept 8-12, 1991))which damaged or end the careers of about 300 US Navy Officers.

The new film needs to live upto this..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The new film needs to live upto this..
    I doubt that it will unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I'd rather they didn't make another one, that movie is the best gay movie ever.the phallic appearance of the F14 with its powerful thrust and speed awakened strange thoughts in many a young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

They will never better the original...and now I need to watch it again..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement