Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks in the flutes of my barrel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Yeah, so that was my thoughts as well.

Thanks for the advice as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

6.5×55 all the way was good enough for a very long time before these fancy new calibres came on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Swedes have been dropping Moose with the 6.5 for over a century.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Grizzly, because they had nothing else. Read the write up on the Vit manual (Finland ) from a very experienced hunter who regards the 30 cal's as being a bit light for Moose. They suggest 9.3x62 which I also think sounds a bit better for the size of the animal. Every Sika I saw being shot by a 6.5x55 just ran away. To be found 100-200yd later with a perfect heart shot.
    Take 6.5x55 factory ammo into a 20-22" hunting rifle and check speed, most will be shocked how slow it actually runs. It is a 3800bar (CIP, Saami even less) cartridge after all vs 4100 - 4400 bar in other modern cartridges.
    For target shooting with a long barrel OK, but then again there is better.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Its like the .22/250 situation over here in the 1970s.Use what you got, or are allowed to use. Absolutely there is much better out there for moose. Start around the 30.06 upwards.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement