Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Tours 2018

1141516171820»

Comments

I must say, I have enjoyed reading the comments on the McKenzie 'obstruction' try. It seems Hansen and the ref know the rugby laws better than most.

I guess it's just another unfortunate case of the All Black's getting a bit of luck. Not very fair on France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

In a rather petty way, it's quite satisfying to see.

I felt a similar guilty shame at laughing when those Zulu warriors slipped over as they ran out for the South Africa v England game

3 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

BBDBB wrote: »
    I felt a similar guilty shame at laughing when those Zulu warriors slipped over as they ran out for the South Africa v England game

3 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers:(

And 2 Rorke's drifts...for the English team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Fraser Brown at 7 for scotland

Backrow union are owed a favour given they lost McInally to #2 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Basil3 wrote: »
    I must say, I have enjoyed reading the comments on the McKenzie 'obstruction' try. It seems Hansen and the ref know the rugby laws better than most.

I guess it's just another unfortunate case of the All Black's getting a bit of luck. Not very fair on France.
    I don't think as big a deal would have been made out of it to be honest, had NZ not had so much consistent 'luck' throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

errlloyd wrote: »
    Thanks folks. This argie team is shocking. Remember this Scotland team lost to USA
    Didn’t lose to Australia to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Well the summer tours are over.

NZ are still the leading side yet I think they are beginning to show a lack of depth due to losing players to overseas.
    McKenzie is not good enough to control the game from 10, so reliant on Barrett to stay fit.
    Their backrow probably lacks a bit of depth and quality too. Their handling is still superb and they are clinical with their opportunities.

The Wallabies have improved a lot and they look to have a decent scrum now. Depth is their big issue though and they give away some silly penalties. Their backline is always a threat though.

South Africa still look the poorest of the big 3 down under. Rassie will probably improve them but they lack quality in a lot of areas and still have big issues from 10 to 13.

England are still a side that can have an impact at the WC. People are ruling Jones off too early. They have good pace in the backs in May and Daly and Farrell will kick their goals. They are probably weak in the props where Marler and Sinckler are penalty/yellow card risks. Billy Vunipola should be back firing too.

Wales had a good tour but the opposition was very weak. Handling wise they are one of the more skillful NH sides and they are always competitive when it counts.

France are slowly improving. Their scrum is decent again and in Belleau they look to have found a decent 10 again who can run the French backline. Parra and Serin/Dupont are good 9 options while their u20s look to have a few excellent prospects. They look to be going in the right direction again and if Fofana is back to form they will be a big threat again.

Scotland and Argentina have had poor tours. Scotland don't have the players and I am not sure if Argentina were deprived of their Super players or not.

NZ playing Ireland in Dublin will be seen as a battle of the big 2 but there a few sides more than capable of beating Ireland on a given day.
    The gap between north and south has probably never been closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Really enjoyed the last few weeks.

England are a basket case. They can be very good but they do so much stupid stuff that they wil always give the opposition opportunities. Are SA good or are England just really bad? I think they're decent but Jantjes is terrible. I wouldn't want as the OH for a club team let alone an international side. Rassie does seem to have them moving in the right direction and in Faf de Klerk they have a quality 9 to go with a strong pack that will only get stronger when they get Etsebeth, De Jaegar and Marks back. Some real pace out wide as well.

Australia were a lot better than I expected. Potent backline and a decent forward pack. They are lethal at the breakdown but they are prone to stupid penalties. Ireland should have their games by more but there seems to be a problem converting chances into tries.

I thought the ABs were very impressive. I know a lot of people like to blame the ref when the ABs win but they put 19 tries past France, who I believe had the best defence in the 6 Nations. They did that without Coles, Read and Rettallick. And a bunch of guys just back from injury. Also gave a bunch of new players some exposure to the AB set up and none of them looked out of their depth. The big questions remain about who is the best blindside and which combo is the best midfield. France showed glimpses of how good they could be and I think they will be a much stronger side come the 6 Nations and the RWC.

Argentina are just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Highlights of the 3rd All Blacks v France game below.

For me it was an unsatisfactory series between cards, injuries and odd refereeing decisions and we will have to wait for the Rugby Championship to really assess the relative strengths of the SH teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Well the summer tours are over.

NZ are still the leading side yet I think they are beginning to show a lack of depth due to losing players to overseas.
    McKenzie is not good enough to control the game from 10, so reliant on Barrett to stay fit.
    Their backrow probably lacks a bit of depth and quality too. Their handling is still superb and they are clinical with their opportunities.

Starting props were off the pace, but both coming back off long injury breaks. The way Cian Healy got back up to speed gives hope. Backrow is definitely not great - Vito and Luatua would be better options. Thought McKenzie was pretty decent on Saturday, but game control is probably his biggest issue

The Wallabies have improved a lot and they look to have a decent scrum now. Depth is their big issue though and they give away some silly penalties. Their backline is always a threat though.

Thought the Aussie front-row replacements were outstanding in all 3 tests. Just about won Australia the game in the weekend. Replace Foley with Sexton, and Aussie win that series 2-1, if not 3-0.

South Africa still look the poorest of the big 3 down under. Rassie will probably improve them but they lack quality in a lot of areas and still have big issues from 10 to 13.

They will get better. Pollard is fine, Jantjes is not. Defence from the outside backs was woeful at times.

England are still a side that can have an impact at the WC. People are ruling Jones off too early. They have good pace in the backs in May and Daly and Farrell will kick their goals. They are probably weak in the props where Marler and Sinckler are penalty/yellow card risks. Billy Vunipola should be back firing too.

England has too hard a pool/draw to make it deep into the RWC IMO.

Wales had a good tour but the opposition was very weak. Handling wise they are one of the more skillful NH sides and they are always competitive when it counts.

Generally punch above their weight at RWC. Mind you, the same can be said about Argentina, who will have their exports available.

France are slowly improving. Their scrum is decent again and in Belleau they look to have found a decent 10 again who can run the French backline. Parra and Serin/Dupont are good 9 options while their u20s look to have a few excellent prospects. They look to be going in the right direction again and if Fofana is back to form they will be a big threat again.

They struggle to last 80 minutes.

NZ playing Ireland in Dublin will be seen as a battle of the big 2 but there a few sides more than capable of beating Ireland on a given day.
    The gap between north and south has probably never been closer.

Ireland's biggest worry is that everyone now knows how they will play, and it's not a style that leads itself to a lot of tries. It's still very hard to defeat though. Irish supporters remind me a bit of NZ ones after all our World Cup failures from 1991 to 2007 - the sole focus becomes getting past a RWC ¼ final, and the eggs tend to go in that basket - there were quite few comments about result in Australia doesn't matter that much it's all about building RWC depth. Will put quite a bit of psychological pressure on Schmidt and his players come Oct/Nov next year.

The Lost Sheep-style responses above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Thought the Aussie front-row replacements were outstanding in all 3 tests. Just about won Australia the game in the weekend. Replace Foley with Sexton, and Aussie win that series 2-1, if not 3-0.

In that regard, Cheika's hands are tied. I think he's a fine coach if a pain in the arse but he can't magic a player out of thin air. Foley is a grand player at club level but will never have the class to guide the team home when the chips are down.

What consistently impresses me is that, despite rugby being a minority sport in Australia, they're still producing guys who are stepping up to test level. They've blooded several new forwards in this series who haven't missed a beat. Tui and Rodda started at the weekend and are both only 21. From the 6 forwards they had on the bench, all but Simmons were relatively young and inexperienced at this leve.

They're building very nicely towards the RWC but the lack of a top class 10 is going to prevent them from bringing home silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

#Beale4Ten

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

turnikett1 wrote: »
    #Beale4Ten

He was tried there for a season. Not the worst but his skills are much better in the extra space at 12 where he can distribute and break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

#BringBackSideStepCooper

Advertisement