Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How difficult is ACCA P6 to pass?

• 07-06-2018 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all im getting tired of repeating P7 audit without success. I just sat p5 but i didnt make the time to put much study so quute certain ive not passed. I dont think ive passed either.

I have 2 p papers to out of P3 to P7 options. Im considering P6 but i heard it was nearly impossible to pass a few years back by even those that had passed the chartered tax exams and even worked in tax.

I did some tax exams before and found it wasnt too bad a subject.

Can anyone advise of its difficulty? Is it still as difficult to pass as a few years ago?
    Its ridiculous that ACCA dont provide national pass rates especially for tax exams such as P6.

I dont suppose anybody would know pass rate for p6 irish variant or for any of the schools providing lectures?

Ill probably register to do lectures from julie hawkins or mel kilkenny as ive read positive things here about both.

Id welcome any advice though. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I did P7 and P6 as my options subjects. I’m currently waiting on P6 results.

I did P7 a number of times before I passed this subject. But I eventually got it! I got to the point where I had believed I invested a lot of time and effort (and money!) that I was determined to get it. I wasn’t sure exactly why it took me along to pass because I felt I knew the material and the approach to the exam.

P6 I feel has been the biggest course in terms of material. I did the course with Julie and I found her brilliant and extremely committed. There was a lot to learn and I found that I have to be dedicated to studying, the homework, going to classes etc.

Like with any of these subjects, any amount of time the tutor is putting in, you need to put the same and more. I wouldn’t be going into any of the exams without studying. You say you reckon you didn’t get P5 but that was without putting a lot of effort in. Wait until July and see how you get on. If you don’t get it, you know you need to put the work in.

Also, maybe consider just doing one at a time and passing that first. There would be definitely more pressure on when you take on more than one - especially if you’re struggling to get P7

In relation to the pass rates, I don’t know exact Irish rates but have been told in the past that Irish rates tend to be higher than the worldwide rates.

I don’t think any of them are impossible to pass. They are difficult exams sure, but you can (and will!) pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I did P7 and P6 as my options subjects. I’m currently waiting on P6 results.

I did P7 a number of times before I passed this subject. But I eventually got it! I got to the point where I had believed I invested a lot of time and effort (and money!) that I was determined to get it. I wasn’t sure exactly why it took me along to pass because I felt I knew the material and the approach to the exam.

P6 I feel has been the biggest course in terms of material. I did the course with Julie and I found her brilliant and extremely committed. There was a lot to learn and I found that I have to be dedicated to studying, the homework, going to classes etc.

Like with any of these subjects, any amount of time the tutor is putting in, you need to put the same and more. I wouldn’t be going into any of the exams without studying. You say you reckon you didn’t get P5 but that was without putting a lot of effort in. Wait until July and see how you get on. If you don’t get it, you know you need to put the work in.

Also, maybe consider just doing one at a time and passing that first. There would be definitely more pressure on when you take on more than one - especially if you’re struggling to get P7

In relation to the pass rates, I don’t know exact Irish rates but have been told in the past that Irish rates tend to be higher than the worldwide rates.

I don’t think any of them are impossible to pass. They are difficult exams sure, but you can (and will!) pass them.

Thanks AppleBottle,

Some good advice. It would be December before I can sit tax anyway so would have a fair bit of time to study. Do you know if it is same examiner setting the paper as a few years ago?

Some of the posts I read here on boards go back as 2010 so might be a different examiner since then.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66275310

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

The examiner they have now has been there since December 2012. We were told that the exams questions before this time with the old examiner didn’t really make a lot of sense sometimes and made it difficult. The examiner they have now bases the questions in real life
    situations.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Advertisement