Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD 50e off car insurance if you use a dashcam

• 07-06-2018 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

FBD offer 50e off car insurance if you use a dashcam.
    Looks like there's plenty of <50e dashcams out there.

https://www.fbd.ie/car-insurance/dashcam-discount/
    Conditions seem sound enough:

• Simply get your quote from FBD.ie or if you are an existing customer, wait for your renewal invite
    • Then call us and let us know you have a dashcam before arranging payment - phone 01 7 617 617.
    • You’ll need to give us details of your dashcam make and model. Please note we do not accept mobile phones or sports action cameras used as dashcams.
    • You also need to be willing to make video evidence available to FBD if your car is ever involved in a claim.

The big question, what if you have an incident and the dashcam wasn't running?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In their terms and conditions. The owner is responsible for ensuring the dash cam is properly installing, maintained and used within the manufacturer's guidelines.

https://www.fbd.ie/media/FBD/pdf/fbd-dashcam-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Doesn't mention what way they would handle the claim if the dash cam at the time wasn't presented. Legally they are obliged to pay out to a third party but potentially they could try and use the dash cam footage of your driving or indeed a lack of dash came footage to recover those loses from you. For the sake of just €50 I'd give this a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This is up there With AIG app monitoring your driving, just not worth the bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

bazz26 wrote: »
    potentially they could try and use the dash cam footage of your driving or indeed a lack of dash came footage to recover those loses from you

The chances of this happening are zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

A dashcam is often the only way to prove what happened in an accident when it is one word against another. Regardless of the discount, it could save you a fortune in the long run. I'd urge everyone to get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No, as would have still been €400 more than my current renewal.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    i have one fitted and its a great job but i wouldnt be telling my insurance compay to save 50 notes, not worth the hassle but its there if i need it

Why would it work against you, unless you're driving in a way you shouldn't?

you never know, we all make mistakes and its easy to drift over the speed limit

If there weren't mistakes, accidents would never happen. This is not a driving app, it's a dashcam. Even if you are at fault, it allows your insurer settle quickly, keeping your claim cost down and thus reducing any impact on your premium. If it shows you are right, they will use it to defend you instead of coming to an economical solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

I wouldn't touch it tbh

Could be tricky if you don't have the footage ,and
    the footage could work against you if youre obliged to have it

Better to have it at your own discretion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There is also another 50 if you collect 1500 points using the face it down app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Surveillance is fun until it’s not and we can’t get rid of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

What's a dashcam worth to them?

And once you get the dashcam you're on the hook with the insurance cartel

They'll jack the premium up 50 to cover themselves

It'll be mandatory eventually anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Advantage of dashcam (rear facing) is that other motorists are less likely to tailgate you.

Well I've personal experience of how valuable they can be and if an insurer wants to give me €50 to do what I'm already doing, then let them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,133 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Great excuse to buy a cam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

I don't see how it'll work against you. I don't plan on having it running everytime one of us uses the car. Might fire it on for longer trips.
    If an incident occurs and the insurance rep asks me if I have dashcam footage and I say "No, it wasn't on", I don't think that will affect the claim in any way.
    It's a bonus for them if I produce video evidence and saves them extra work in arguing/proving the case.

I see it as a free dashcam for me. Subtract 50eur from my premium, buy a dash cam for upto 50eur.

It’s a fake discount
    Premiums are raised to take this into account you will save more by moving insurance companies every year

That's just silly. If you do the market every year, like you say and find FBD is the cheapest, then they give you an extra €50 off for using a dashcam, where's the fakery? Obviously, their rates aren't going to suit everyone but if it leads to others offering similar, it can only be a good thing

If footage shows you are right or wrong, it cuts down costs and that can only benefit everyone, except the lawyers who love to prolong claims

It’s a fake discount
    Premiums are raised to take this into account you will save more by moving insurance companies every year

Not at all, I'm in the process of moving from a crazy quote from my existing ensurer. I found this deal when I looked at FBD because they gave me the cheapest quote and now 50e less again.

€50 won’t get you a decent one

That's an opinion that a lot of people on here won't agree with. Lots of dashcams discussed here <50e with satisfied buyers.
    They're pretty simple devices that have been around long enough for suppliers like yi & xiaomi to produce very cheap and efficient ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

You are moving from one company to fbd so get a new policy discount
    Wait until next year when the fbd renewal comes in
    Each to there own I wouldn’t do it in case the dash cam goes against me for the sake of €50

Yep, and next year I move to whoever is cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sounds like a trap!

Has anyone here had a claim go against them because their insurer couldn't PROVE what actually happened? This can only benefit consumers.

OmegaGene wrote:
    If you are travelling 2kph over the limit and someone pulls out in front of you and you hit then how would you feel losing out on the claim ?

You wouldn't lose that case, given what you describe. Anyway, no skin off my nose if you don't think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

If you are travelling 2kph over the limit and someone pulls out in front of you and you hit then how would you feel losing out on the claim ?
    So many scenarios where a dash cam can hang you out to dry
    If they don’t know then you have the option to provide the info or not

That's not how it works. The person who pulled out in front of you would be liable. It doesn't matter if the other person was driving above the speed limit. These scenarios are well established.

So many scenarios where a dash cam can hang you out to dry
    If they don’t know then you have the option to provide the info or not

But who's forcing you to present the dash cam footage? Just say it was off.

oceanman wrote: »
    wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I also have a spare 40 ft barge pole if anyone needs it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fuse wrote: »
    But who's forcing you to present the dash cam footage? Just say it was off.

But if you accept a discount for a dash cam then you have to adhere to the terms and conditions of that discount.

As stated already in their T&C:
    You are responsible for ensuring your dashcam is properly installed, used and maintained in line with legal requirements and manufacturer guidelines and that it is working correctly over the course of your insurance policy.

Not following the T&C just gives the insurance company a get out of jail card they can pursue if it's in their best interest to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

i would say that in the next 5 years or so it will become law to have a working dashcam in your car at all times....that's the kind of screwed up world we live in now I'm afraid! but until it becomes law I wont be getting one.

oceanman wrote: »
    i would say that in the next 5 years or so it will become law to have a working dashcam in your car at all times....that's the kind of screwed up world we live in now I'm afraid! but until it becomes law I wont be getting one.

If some dipstick meets you on a quiet road acting the maggot, crashing in to your car, you'll wish you had one to contradict the " independent " witness he'll produce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If some dipstick meets you on a quiet road acting the maggot, crashing in to your car, you'll wish you had one to contradict the " independent " witness he'll produce.

I remember a time when claims did get settled before the advent of dash cams.

Advertisement