Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers for existing customers?

Options
  • 07-06-2018 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭

Im a residential customer and just at the end of my 12 month contract. Quite a few offers available from other suppliers but does EI have offers for existing customers to remain?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi muffler,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We are unable to apply any savings or discounts in this department.

We recommend contacting our colleagues in the Sales team directly on 1850 305 090. They are available until 8pm this evening and they will be able to check if there is anything available for you.

Should you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cheers Aoife, I'll give them a buzz later  :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

muffler wrote: »
    Did you get anything from the call?  Im in the same boat as you now and was just wondering

muffler wrote: »
    Did you get anything from the call?  Im in the same boat as you now and was just wondering
    I didnt call yet. I initially thought I was out of contract on the 6th but its actually the 16th so will give them a call in the next day or two.

Just off the phone a while ago and have to say Im a tad disappointed but not surprised though. I think I had to endure the audio equivalent of watching paint dry. Talking to a real droll guy who I could barely hear and who wasnt in the least bit interested in talking too much. And if I didnt speak he wouldnt have either. 

Anyhow I got straight to the point with him by asking what he could offer me to remain as a customer and he tells me Im in contract till August so I just told him that was BS and then he says the contract is up today which is also wrong.  A meagre 5.5% discount was the best he could do. No loyalty here!

EI's unit rate is 17.86 cents and with a 5.5% discount it would drop to 16.87.  Considering BGE's unit rate is 13.99 cents for every billing cycle (or if you prefer -16.57 cents/unit with €175 credit paid back to your account) I know who will be providing the service for me for the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi muffler,

We are very sorry to read of your unhappiness with the phone call. If you have any final account queries, please send us a private message.

We hope you will return to Electric Ireland in the future to avail of the new customer offer in effect.

Best regards,
    Una

Thanks Una.

In this day and age with a "free market" so to speak when it comes to choosing electricity suppliers I would have thought that EI would have been trying to hold on to existing customers as well as signing up new customers. But just like car insurance the best deals are to be had if you're a new customer.

Anyhow I'll be moving provider in the next few days but if the price is right in 12 months from now I'll be back again.

If I hit any problems with the final account I'll certainly give you a shout. Appreciate the offer btw. :)

You are welcome muffler - we would be happy to assist.

We are available here on Electric Ireland Social Media until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) and if you are sending us a private message, just please confirm the relevant Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are/were the account-holder and confirming your name, address and your telephone number for security/verification.

Thanks,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

muffler wrote:
    EI's unit rate is 17.86 cents and with a 5.5% discount it would drop to 16.87. Considering BGE's unit rate is 13.99 cents for every billing cycle (or if you prefer -16.57 cents/unit with €175 credit paid back to your account) I know who will be providing the service for me for the next year.

You should check the rates available through bonkers.ie.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Originally posted by muffler
    EI's unit rate is 17.86 cents and with a 5.5% discount it would drop to 16.87. Considering BGE's unit rate is 13.99 cents for every billing cycle (or if you prefer -16.57 cents/unit with €175 credit paid back to your account) I know who will be providing the service for me for the next year.

You should check the rates available through bonkers.ie.
    I did  :)

• Advertisement

Just to update the thread. I did change provider and this morning I got my closing account bill and you would need a degree in mathematics to understand it. The biggest problem was a fee of €50 for early exit of the contract. Seeing as Im out of contract for a few weeks now I was far from impressed. Anyhow I rang in about it and that was another experience. The girl I spoke to told me she could see the amount on the bill but couldn't see the content or breakdown :eek:. She did contact a "back office team" who duly removed the €50 charge.

I asked why was an early exit fee applied to my account and I was told that it was a "system error" so that being the case the so called system must be set up in such a way that every customer moving to a new provider is hit for an extra 50 quid whether in contract or not. 

During the same call I asked for the bill to be explained to me as it wasnt laid out in the normal way with credits and debits all over the place and this is when I was told by the agent that she couldnt see the bill but said she would transfer me to another dept where they would explain it. I was put on hold for a minute or two and was then told that no one in the other department was answering. I asked for a call back but no, they dont do that and was advised to call again later.

All in all Im very disappointed at the way this has panned out. I have changed providers a few times in recent years and never experienced anything like this before.

Just in conclusion I would like to point out that Una, who posted in the thread previously has been more than helpful in the past and and while she did offer to look into any potential issues I just wanted to deal with the matter as soon as it came to my attention. Please don't think I was ignoring you Una  :)

Hi muffler,

We are extremely sorry about the exit fee. We wish to reassure you that that was a one-off system error, however we can understand your unhappiness at it occurring for you.

Please private message us the relevant Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are the account-holder, and confirming your name, address and telephone number (for security/verification purposes).

We will then be able to review the final bill for you as soon as possible.

We are here on Boards.ie and our other Social Media channels until 6pm.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hi muffler,

We are extremely sorry about the exit fee. We wish to reassure you that that was a one-off system error, however we can understand your unhappiness at it occurring for you.

Please private message us the relevant Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are the account-holder, and confirming your name, address and telephone number (for security/verification purposes).

Best regards,
    Una

I just had the exact same thing happen to me so it’s clearly not a once off error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

My EI contract expires today and I had been advised twice by an EI agent in shopping centres that if I made contact with them advising that I would be switching I would get €100 credit as an incentive to stay. The agent had nothing to gain by telling me this as I was already a customer so it wasn't a sales pitch. The agent went so far as to tell me that a family member had recently successfully done so. It seems however, having contacted EI that no such incentives exist so I have no idea why this information is being given to customers.

Interesting too that EI insist my contract date is 22 August although I have a letter from them stating my fixed term contract expires on 14 August so, from what I read on this and another thread here, there does seem to be some issues regarding the recording of contract dates.

I've emailed a copy of the contract letter to EI so it will be interesting to see if they try to apply the early exit penalty to me

Hi Crunchienut,

Can you private message us which shopping centre you were in (and details relating to the rep if you have them) so that we can advise the relevant department of your post?

If you would like us to look into the contract date matter for you also, please private message us the relevant Electric Ireland account number, state that you are the account-holder and confirm your name, address and your telephone number (for security/verification). We can respond sooner than the email teams, should you wish to message us.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

km79 wrote: »
    Hi muffler,

Best regards,
    Una

I just had the exact same thing happen to me so it’s clearly not a once off error
    As with muffler and km79 I received my final bill this morning and it incorrectly included the 50 euro exit fee. A call to customer serices had it reversed immediately but this "system error" is something customers switching from Electric Ireland should watch out for and, more importantly, that Electric Ireland should rectify.

Apologies Crunchienut.

We have sent your feedback to the relevant department, who are looking into this matter.

Best regards,
    Una

We are extremely sorry about the exit fee. We wish to reassure you that that was a one-off system error,
    Hi Una,

With respect that statement is hardly correct is it?

As you would have seen from other posts this was never a "one off system error" and Im just sorry that you are the one left here trying to defend a practice invoked by your employers which is at best very poor management and at worse an illegal practice to overcharge customers.

Advertisement