Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay

Options
  • 07-06-2018 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Is there a pay as you go type card that you can use to setup apple pay? I am with the Bank of Ireland and they have zero plans to get this going on their cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

Is there a pay as you go type card that you can use to setup apple pay? I am with the Bank of Ireland and they have zero plans to get this going on their cards.

Boon - https://www.boonpayment.com/ie/

Watch the fees. Its kind of expensive to keep topping it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

N26. Boon rawk you on transaction fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

N26. Boon rawk you on transaction fees.

N26 are just the biz. I was so pleased to see them onboard Apple Pay. I too am with BOI and they don’t seem to ever plan on it... maybe after their billion (or whatever) IT investment..

FourFourFM wrote: »

Won’t hurt to have more cards in Apple Pay.

I currently have 3, soon to be 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

just change banks.
    I switched over to AIB and first thing I did was activate Apple pay..**** carrying a wallet around for day to day crap. And fuc BOI.
    Also signed up to N26...interesting to say the least. Need my passport to verify so won't finish it till tomorrow as I'm at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just signed up for N26 card as a BOI customer so have never had Apple Pay.

Felt a bit weird taking a photo of your passport and also entering the passport details although I’m sure it’s safe as loads on here have done it.

24 hours for them to verify. Once verified am I good to go or do I need to wait until a physical card arrives to be activated?

Want to transfer money into the account and start using Apple Pay instead of my contactless cards.

I did it yesterday and it was activated.
    You have to wait for the card to activate it and set up Apple pay.
    Hopefully won't be long.
    So handy having apple pay though...a lot handier and safer than having to use a card.
    Wish a lot of places would increase the limit though.

Blazer wrote: »
    I did it yesterday and it was activated.
    You have to wait for the card to activate it and set up Apple pay.
    Hopefully won't be long.
    So handy having apple pay though...a lot handier and safer than having to use a card.
    Wish a lot of places would increase the limit though.

Cheers, yeah probably because it’s Sunday that it’s not being processed.
    Looking forward to using Apple Pay instead of cards for day to day stuff.

Do a lot of places have a low limit?

adox wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah probably because it’s Sunday that it’s not being processed.
    Looking forward to using Apple Pay instead of cards for day to day stuff.

Do a lot of places have a low limit?

I found most places have that stupid €30 limit.
    There's a thread here on it with places that dont or have a higher limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Just signed up for N26 card as a BOI customer so have never had Apple Pay.

Felt a bit weird taking a photo of your passport and also entering the passport details although I’m sure it’s safe as loads on here have done it.

Completely safe. You’ll find the model for a lot of online sign ups/ AML checking will go this way. It’s far superior customer journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Ive used N26 on Apple Pay with larger transactions like 60 or 70

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you authenticate using fingerprint scan or face scan, it works for more than €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Anybody have any idea if PTSB have plans to introduce Apple Pay?

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you authenticate using fingerprint scan or face scan, it works for more than €30.

There’s no other way to authenticate an Apple Pay transaction. Even if it’s for 1c or €1million it needs a biometric.

The terminal opposes the limit not Apple Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WhiteSpoofer

What are you on about? It’s nothing to do with that. It depends on the terminal at the point of sale and the limits the merchant has in place for contactless payments.

There’s no other way to authenticate an Apple Pay transaction. Even if it’s for 1c or €1million it needs a biometric.

Not true. You can use your device passcode.

Not true. You can use your device passcode.

Had forgotten about that as biometric is much easier and already prompted for when the Apple Pay sheet is invoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

The inconsistency in the €30 limit is a pain and means I rarely bother with Apple Pay for more than €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Blazer wrote: »
    I found most places have that stupid €30 limit.
    There's a thread here on it with places that dont or have a higher limit.

I use Apple Pay daily and I only know of one place with a limit: Tesco. Thier self-service machines don’t allow tapping once the transaction goes above €30.

I’ve been to many a cashier where I was told that I can’t go contactless over €30. Not with Apple Pay, says I. No limits there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Notorious wrote: »
    I use Apple Pay daily and I only know of one place with a limit: Tesco. Thier self-service machines don’t allow tapping once the transaction goes above €30.

I’ve been to many a cashier where I was told that I can’t go contactless over €30. Not with Apple Pay, says I. No limits there.

Dunnes Stores & Lidl last time I checked but may have changed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What are you on about? It’s nothing to do with that. It depends on the terminal at the point of sale and the limits the merchant has in place for contactless payments.

It’s everything to do with that. It’s the equivalent of putting in your PIN number with a card. Most places don’t realise it works over €30 until you do it in front of them. SuperValu, Lidl, hotels, restaurants, Applegreen garages all said it was limited to €30 until you show them it isn’t.

It’s everything to do with that. It’s the equivalent of putting in your PIN number with a card. Most places don’t realise it works over €30 until you do it in front of them. SuperValu, Lidl, hotels, restaurants, Applegreen garages all said it was limited to €30 until you show them it isn’t.

You literally just said it works for over €30 if you authenticate with Touch or Face ID.

Apple Pay works with both of those options and also your device passcode. There’s no difference in the value you can spend by using either or. It literally has nothing to do with the spend limit either.

The reality is, ApplePay has no limit. Using FaceID/Touch ID doesn’t miraculously bypass a terminal with a set limit.

Tesco’s self service checkout is an example of this and someone else in this thread mentioned others where it’s affecfed them too.

Does it work over €30 in a lot of places? Yes, definitely. Does it work everywhere in Ireland over the €30 limit? No.

From Apple’s website:

“Merchants and card issuers set limits for some transactions.”

“Ireland
    You might not be able to use Apple Pay for purchases over 30 EUR.”

A little research goes a long way instead of saying things for the sake of it and hoping it will stick.

I didn’t put it very well. It works over €30 because you authenticate, making it the same as entering your pin. Most retailers don’t realise it works for more by authenticating. Mine doesn’t work in Tesco for any amount using the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I didn’t put it very well. It works over €30 because you authenticate, making it the same as entering your pin. Most retailers don’t realise it works for more by authenticating. Mine doesn’t work in Tesco for any amount using the phone.

No it works over €30 when the terminal allows you to use Apple Pay.

Penneys for example won’t validate Apple Pay payment over €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Zhane wrote: »

No it works over €30 when the terminal allows you to use Apple Pay.

Penneys for example won’t validate Apple Pay payment over €30.

I find the problem a lot of the time is cashiers who know that contactless card payments have a ceiling of €30. Many a time I’ve told a cashier that Apple Pay has no fixed limit, and I tap away.

Cloudio9, Dunnes allow tapping over €30. Not sure about Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

This has been interesting. Having installed cc terminals and got touch enabled. I always assumed that Apple pay was limited to €30 the same as contactless. Makes senses that it’s not.
    The limit would have to be requested by the vendor in that case.

Got my N26 card and used Apple Pay for the first time this morning in Tesco.

Very late to the party but it was pretty cool to use.

N26 app is great, so much control over the account etc. The only downside is the amount of time BOI take to transfer money to N26. Transferred some money early Monday afternoon and it only arrived this morning.

Anyway delighted to finally have Apple Pay.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Got my N26 card and used Apple Pay for the first time this morning in Tesco.

Very late to the party but it was pretty cool to use.

N26 app is great, so much control over the account etc. The only downside is the amount of time BOI take to transfer money to N26. Transferred some money early Monday afternoon and it only arrived this morning.

Anyway delighted to finally have Apple Pay.:)

Same here, I got the card this week and used it yesterday with the watch. So far so good and the app is great. BOI was slow for me as well, and they wonder why people don't like them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I had a payment transferred to my N26 from an AIB account yesterday afternoon @15:30 and i got a notification at @8am this morning saying funds had hit my N26 account. I put one through from my EBS account at 4pm today, will be interested to see what time that hits my account. EBS to paypal are generally very quick for me, usually first thing the following day if I do it after close of business.

Advertisement