Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

This has been interesting. Having installed cc terminals and got touch enabled. I always assumed that Apple pay was limited to €30 the same as contactless. Makes senses that it’s not.
    The limit would have to be requested by the vendor in that case.

The reason that it allows you to spend over 30€ is that apple/android pay allows "on device verification". The long and short of it is that the card terminals accept that the phone has done the checking, fingerprint, face id or pin rather than typing a pin into the terminal.

While apple verifies every transaction, android over verifies over €30

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I had a payment transferred to my N26 from an AIB account yesterday afternoon @15:30 and i got a notification at @8am this morning saying funds had hit my N26 account. I put one through from my EBS account at 4pm today, will be interested to see what time that hits my account. EBS to paypal are generally very quick for me, usually first thing the following day if I do it after close of business.

I did a transfer from N26 to Revelot.
    Time: Approx 20 seconds.
    Its farcial that Irish banks take to long to process a SEPA transfer.
    Its poor IT systems that are holding them back.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My EBS transfer to N26 completed around 10:30 this morning, but its terrible that mainstream banks take so long compared to the new digital banks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

KBC (via Apple Pay) (and I assume any other Irish Apple Pay enabled bank) can transfer to Revolut instantly :pac:

KBC (via Apple Pay) (and I assume any other Irish Apple Pay enabled bank) can transfer to Revolut instantly :pac:

aahhh..that's how I transferred. That explains that :)
    Very good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

I've signed up to N26 account as Revolut doesn't support spple pay. I was hoping to start leaving my wallet at home and only bring my phone with me.

Just wondering how people use Apple pay?

Do you leave your wallet and cards at home and just head out with your Phone?

If something costs €80 an I use my N26 or KBC card linked to my apple pay to purchase this item? I see above someone mentioning that apple pay allows you to pay for stuff over €30, is that the case if I was using my N26 card via apple (Using just phone?)

Hi,

I've signed up to N26 account as Revolut doesn't support spple pay. I was hoping to start leaving my wallet at home and only bring my phone with me.

If something costs €80 an I use my N26 or KBC card linked to my apple pay to purchase this item? I see above someone mentioning that apple pay allows you to pay for stuff over €30, is that the case if I was using my N26 card via apple (Using just phone?)

Hi,

I've signed up to N26 account as Revolut doesn't support apple pay. I was hoping to start leaving my wallet at home and only bring my phone with me.

If something costs €80 an I use my N26 or KBC card linked to my apple pay to purchase this item? I see above someone mentioning that Apple pay allows you to pay for stuff over €30, is that the case if I was using my N26 card via Apple (Using just phone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've signed up to N26 account as Revolut doesn't support apple pay. I was hoping to start leaving my wallet at home and only bring my phone with me.

If something costs €80 an I use my N26 or KBC card linked to my apple pay to purchase this item? I see above someone mentioning that Apple pay allows you to pay for stuff over €30, is that the case if I was using my N26 card via Apple (Using just phone?)
    I do this, with N26 and my Apple Watch - generally everything is fine. But what I did was get a phone case that takes a small amount of cards in the back, and I leave a backup PTSB card there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I tried an early morning transfer from BOI to N26 to see if it was any quicker than an afternoon transfer. And it was. It took 24 hours to land in my N26 account. So a lot better but still seems incredibly slow.

Have to say at this early stage I’m loving both N26 and Apple Pay. The N26 app is so much more advanced than BOI. Love all the options to switch different payment types on and off. Also the instant notifications every time you buy something is fantastic. I haven’t actually used the physical card since activating it.

• Advertisement

I'm with KBC and with Revoult when I top up its instantaneous, Like If I was in a shop and I was short a few euro for shopping I could top up at till and the money would be there every time.

By the sounds of it, the N26 card can take up to 24hrs to have a top up go through? Which if it is the case isn't exactly ideal considering you are leaving your wallet at home!

Any with KBC and N26?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tried Apple Pay with a larger transaction this morning in Tesco(around €100) and it wouldn’t take it. Read it as a contactless payment and said it was over the contactless limit.

I presume this is a problem Tescos end rather than Apple Pay itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

adox wrote: »
    Tried Apple Pay with a larger transaction this morning in Tesco(around €100) and it wouldn’t take it. Read it as a contactless payment and said it was over the contactless limit.

I presume this is a problem Tescos end rather than Apple Pay itself.

Correct.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I still have my wallet as there are other cards I need, but it's usually in the car or in my bag, I would use Apple Pay for about 90% of transactions - it hasn't gotten to a point where contactless is accepted everywhere yet, so I wouldn't be leaving the house without your card! Plus retailers are still hit and miss with transactions over €30 via Apple Pay as they think it's like standard contactless. (A good way around that is just say your paying by card, take the terminal from them as normal and just use Apple Pay to see if it works)

I've yet to find anyplace that takes over the €30 limit.
    Dunnes/Centra/Supervalu at my local all refuse it.
    I'm down in the stix though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Blazer wrote: »
    I've yet to find anyplace that takes over the €30 limit.
    Dunnes/Centra/Supervalu at my local all refuse it.
    I'm down in the stix though :D

Strange, I've used it with Boon app in loads of places without issue. I just say I'm paying by card, and just do it without telling the assistant and it's done before they can say they don't take over €30.

Lidl also clearly show on all there terminals that they accept Apple Pay.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strange, I've used it with Boon app in loads of places without issue. I just say I'm paying by card, and just do it without telling the assistant and it's done before they can say they don't take over €30.

Lidl also clearly show on all there terminals that they accept Apple Pay.

when you see apple pay on the terminal does this mean no limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Apple Pay is limited to the card limit on the customers side and to a preset limit on the retailers side. You could use a gold card on Apple Pay to buy a Ferrari if the dealer had their terminal set correctly.

Advertisement