Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Spain

Options
  • 07-06-2018 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I’m wondering if anybody can help me. I’m considering buying a property in Spain as an investment with intention to live when I retire.

Would anybody know if I have to pay tax in Ireland as well if I was to rent the property and have the rental income going into a Spanish bank account. And also is revenue notified if I bought the property?

Thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

JohnMcM wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m wondering if anybody can help me. I’m considering buying a property in Spain as an investment with intention to live when I retire.

Would anybody know if I have to pay tax in Ireland as well if I was to rent the property and have the rental income going into a Spanish bank account. And also is revenue notified if I bought the property?

Thanks

John

Yes and yes. If you are resident in ireland you must declare the income from a rental property abroad and pay the taxes. The EU have a Directive on Administrative Cooperation on tax and it obliges EU countries to inform the resident country on ownership of property and bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭janedoe007

Have you considered Portugal ? It was Tax free for first 10 years retiring there but not sure if that changed on 1st jan 2018. - might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ckblackrock

JohnMcM wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

John

If you are intending doing holiday lets and planning on using the property occasionally yourself, be warned that you will need to apply to the town hall for tourist use, if the property is not already registered as a tourist let. Huge fines if you do Airbnb etc without the proper permits. If you let long term, tenants have the same - or better - security of tenure as here, so unless you or close relative are moving in permanently, you won't be able to evict tenants after they have been there for (possibly 6?) months.

Advertisement