Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some peony questions

Options
  • 07-06-2018 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I planted a peony a last year and to be honest it has been neglected. Surprisingly it is beautiful this year with 6 healthy blooms on it.

This dies off for the winter and comes back again. Do they all do this or do some stay like a shrub?

When it starts to die off is there anything I need to do or just leave it.

Finally the bed that it's in i plan on making bigger and would like to move it next year. Is this ok to do or will it die on me?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can only refer to the one I have. It is totally ignored but keeps coming back. It was moved without a lot of ceremony a couple of years back and didn't seem to mind at all. (It was dug up/ hacked up accidentally in the winter).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

There are both herbaceous and shrub paeonys.

With the herbaceous one you can cut it back once the foliage begins to yellow in late summer if it's untidy or leave it til the first frosts.

It was long thought that it wasn't good to move them but recent evidence suggests otherwise, just make sure you use a fork to avoid chopping/ breaking off too many of the tuberous roots and it will be fine, obviously early winter is the best time for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Can the tubers be split to make 2 plants like you can with hostas etc? Will it multiply and get bigger?

Ah that explains it then cos I thought it was a shrub and couldnt understand why it was dying off.

Would like to get another one but its a shrub I want.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've split (herbaceous) peonies before and most survived.

I'm sure you could chop a mature paeony in two in early spring but its normally recommended to just leave them be.

Shrub paeonys are usually referred to as 'tree paeonys' so ask for that if you're after one. P. delavayi is the common one grown.

• Advertisement

I've split (herbaceous) peonies before and most survived.

I'll have to learn to type quicker:)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I'm sure you could chop a mature paeony in two in early spring but its normally recommended to just leave them be.

Shrub paeonys are usually referred to as 'tree paeonys' so ask for that if you're after one. P. delavayi is the common one grown.

Thanks for that didn't know how I would distinguish between the two.

Don't think I will risk trying to split it. It's so beautiful I would hate to lose it. Will it thicken out more as is ages?

Advertisement