Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Life/ Jobs

Options
  • 07-06-2018 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all. Just looking for some other viewpoints on this.

I am aware, that, in the workplace, one will encounter many different personality types, and that not everyone is going to be getting on 100% of the time.
    How important do you all think it is, to be able to stand up for yourself, and speak out if you firmly believe you are being treated unfairly at work - and not feel guilty about it, and that you should not sit idly by and let people walk all over you?

Interested to hear some viewpoints. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You 100% need to stand up for yourself.

But I am more of a "bring them for a coffee and sort it out" sort of person than a run to HR person.

You deserve to be happy in your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hello 1 wrote:
    How important do you all think it is, to be able to stand up for yourself, and speak out if you firmly believe you are being treated unfairly at work - and not feel guilty about it, and that you should not sit idly by and let people walk all over you?

Critical. Everyone will be challenged by a potential bully at some point. It's important to recognize this and resist it as early as possible.

I'd agree, first couple of steps should avoid HR, if possible.
    In some cases, a 1 to 1 over coffee would work, but, lots of people are "public" bullies. They're doing it partly for laughs or to maintain their perceived standing amongst observers. If you challenge one of them 1 to 1, they'll likely make a joke of it, tell you they didn't mean it but then continue, and tell "their" version of the conversation to others.
    If it's this type of person you are dealing with. Next time they mistreat you, tell them calmly, at a reasonable volume (so that everyone in vicinity can hear) that their behavior is uncomfortable for you, you think its unacceptable and you'd like them to stop.
    Make a note in your phone of what you said and who else was there. If they don't change or actually react negatively, then you go to HR.

A lot of people start have potential to be a kind-of bully and they push boundaries to find out. If challenged, they usually stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

this title, and the question OP is asking are different things to me !

- depends what work is. is work expecting you to "get along" with peers, superiors or ppl who report to you, or is it expecting you to get along with customers/shareholders...
    - so, I can't assume anything about OPs job/role - they can be asked to deal with rude customers all day !

life is complex, and based on what I've seen in my industry, not all jobs are for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

I've edited the title of the OP just to make things a bit clearer.

Thanks guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

HR isn't just a place to go to make a complaint. They can provide you with guidance on how to manage the situation yourself if you are finding it difficult. They might also know if there is a track record with the person and may have intervened in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement