Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter links

Options
  • 07-06-2018 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭

In forums like 'Politics' there are guidelines against link dumping, but somehow it's ok to post a link to a 'tweet' without any explanation for what that tweet actually says.

I don't use twitter, why should I be expected to sign up to an external website in order to follow a conversation on Boards.ie?

I suggest a simple rule, if you're going to post a twitter link, you need to give description of what the tweet says.

It's not just randomers doing this, but mods and regulars to the politics forum who think twitter links are different to any other kind of link dump.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've not encountered this issue myself, perhaps because I have a twitter account.

Are you saying that if you don't have a twitter account/aren't logged in to twitter that the tweets don't appear in full?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As this is not sitewide Feedback, but is instead specific to a particular forum, I’m going to move to the Helpdesk.

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I've not encountered this issue myself, perhaps because I have a twitter account.

Are you saying that if you don't have a twitter account/aren't logged in to twitter that the tweets don't appear in full?

they show up fine (legacy site at least), I'm not on twitter and i posted one earlier

Edit: don't show up on responsive site, do on touch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The newer skins automatically embed the tweet content with pretty graphics. Those of us on the older (superior) original skins just see the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You don’t need to be signed on to twitter to see tweets. FB is different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Akrasia wrote: »
    In forums like 'Politics' there are guidelines against link dumping, but somehow it's ok to post a link to a 'tweet' without any explanation for what that tweet actually says.

I don't use twitter, why should I be expected to sign up to an external website in order to follow a conversation on Boards.ie?

I suggest a simple rule, if you're going to post a twitter link, you need to give description of what the tweet says.

It's not just randomers doing this, but mods and regulars to the politics forum who think twitter links are different to any other kind of link dump.

It's not OK, it's against the rules. Report the post and we'll delete it.

Advertisement