Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of buying Mark 5 Golf Gti

• 07-06-2018 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Seriously suggesting buying one of these very soon. At the moment the prices seem very reasonable for the car your getting.

The engine is obviously a 2L petrol which will be the biggest engine I have ever owned/driven. Can any previous owners give me advice about what to look for when buying, running costs (although not hugely pushed on this).

I think it may be difficult to buy second hand and at this age considering the type of vehicle could have been driven difficult through it's life.

Something like this might suit me: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/golf-gti/18953338

Thanks Lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Be careful buying a mk5 gti, there are lots of bad ones around.

I know of a good one that has just come up for sale, lots of history and recent work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

I have one for the last 6 month, as far as i can tell there pretty straigh forward maintenace wise. the 2T engine returns about 30-35 MPG consitently for me. All cars suffer from cam follower wear and blown diverter valve at this age so factor an additonal couple of hundred euros to get these done if there is no eveidene of them being done already. Brake caliper go bad too. Tax is E710 so no suprise there , i find insurance fine but im 35yrs old.
    like any car 10+ year wear abnd tear will amount to a lot more amintenace than a newer car but you can off set this against the vey little depreciation you  will have comparted to a newer car. Plentoy of dedigated web site wiht detailed buyers guides.

The cars are nearing the bottom of the depreciation curb now where there are getting bough by people who cant afford them and run them into the ground, that why there starting to pop up for 2 or 3 K all over the place. My advise look for one owned by a long term or enthusiastic owner coming with a pile of receipts and paper work and you should be grand. There are plenty of lemons out there too  

The auto DSG are a very good option too but require servicing every 50K and that a 250E dealer job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

carzony wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Seriously suggesting buying one of these very soon. At the moment the prices seem very reasonable for the car your getting.

The engine is obviously a 2L petrol which will be the biggest engine I have ever owned/driven. Can any previous owners give me advice about what to look for when buying, running costs (although not hugely pushed on this).

I think it may be difficult to buy second hand and at this age considering the type of vehicle could have been driven difficult through it's life.

Something like this might suit me: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/golf-gti/18953338

Thanks Lads.

Do it! I bought one 3 months ago. It is by far one of the best cars I have owned. I was looking for the guts of 6 months before I came on the right one.I opted for the 3 door DSG and am not sorry. As already stated make sure the car has a fully documented service history. Also check if air con is working. If not, it may need new air con compressor which is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Thanks for the advice lads,

Ever since deciding of buying one of these I seem to see them all over the place. Very popular car it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Thanks for the advice lads,

Ever since deciding of buying one of these I seem to see them all over the place. Very popular car it would seem.

With good reason - they were (are) a very good car, VW were lauded at time for finally building a proper GTI after years of rubbish (MK3 and 4).

So they sold in big numbers - helped of course that their peak also coincided with boom times here. I bought one new in 2007, kept it 4 years, loved it and would still look back on it as my favourite car.

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, finding a well kept example is the hard part. Loads of badly maintained wrecks out there. My own old one was a mess the last time I clapped eyes on it :(

I'd recommend looking on dedicated fan forum/FB sites, such as autostadt.ie where you're more likely to find an enthusiast-owned example.

• Advertisement

Seems to me after looking on a few of the classified sites that you'd really wanna spend to get a decent example. I see lots for sale for 2 -3 Grand range but with massive mileage and no paper work to prove any work had been completed.

Done Deal has plenty of examples but only a handful could be considered looked after and mechanically trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Mk5 gti is a decent car. Look for a few issues-rusty front wheel arches, cam follower, diverter valve, dsg oil changes/clunky shifts (manual may be safer option).
    However these can be diy'ed. The fundamentals - tfsi block and ko3 turbo seem to be fairly bulletproof. There were 2 specials- an Edition 30 and a Pirelli with a ko4-an S3 engine essentially, and cosmetic differences which are very nice cars-you'd likely need to source these from UK though.

Not cheap!
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk5-mk6/-one-of-the-best-ed30s-available--full-vwsh/8652323

Still looking for the right car and checking the classifieds every morning. Just for fun, I submitted a few insurance quotes in the online quote function with axa and 123..ie

AXA: 1900 to insure on a 06 gti

123.ie 950 for a very similar policy

Not too bad all considering my age (26)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Still looking for the right car and checking the classifieds every morning. Just for fun, I submitted a few insurance quotes in the online quote function with axa and 123..ie

Any joy with the one in Dundalk?

Hey lads,

Just a quick update folks.

I picked up a nice 2005 GTI in the end after searching for a long time. The car needs a few bits and pieces like a new air intake duct, Rear engine mount and after servicing it I will need to pick up a new oil filter housing as my one has seen better days. I plan on changing the cam follower during the week and maybe upgrading the brakes for fun :) All jobs I can do myself so I don't mind. Other than that everything else is working.

It has a years test, fairly good tyres and the GTI alloys that are in great nick. I eventually got the car for 1900 so i've money still aside for any fixes that it may need but the Engine and Gearbox are solid which is the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Bargain at that money even with the few jobs had no idea they cud be got very cheap

Philb76 wrote: »
    Bargain at that money even with the few jobs had no idea they cud be got very cheap

The lad selling it was an apprentice on small money and just couldn't justify keeping it with insurance and tax any longer. He basically wanted it gone so he could buy a car with a much smaller engine to keep the insurance happy (think he mentioned a yaris :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Good luck with it.great motor by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Please keep.us updated on how you get on with her. Deffo a car I've had on my radar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My main put offs when looking a few years back were too many poverty spec models, majority needed a grands worth in to them around new tyres and a proper service which included the DSG oil change.

My main put offs when looking a few years back were too many poverty spec models, majority needed a grands worth in to them around new tyres and a proper service which included the DSG oil change.

I went for the manual gearbox. A complex automatic which needs to be serviced regularly is too risky to buy second hand in Ireland without the service documentation.

This is a Bangernomics GTI for me and i'm very unlikely to see any money back from her in a years time. At this stage I'm deciding whether to just drive it and hope for the best or put money into and keep her going.

It's extremely difficult to buy a decent example with low miles and a service history that you can rely on. I nearly gave up on buying at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Would a petrol 2.0 tfsi Octavia vrs be a better proposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Would a petrol 2.0 tfsi Octavia vrs be a better proposition?

No.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

White 3 door GTI always looked well in my eyes. I'd love to try the dsg sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

saw this thread and said I'd do a post- considering my 2008 mark v Gti hit the 100,000 km mark last Saturday! ( bought new in May 08) with full vwsh to this day.

The car has been bulletproof !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

kooga wrote: »
    saw this thread and said I'd do a post- considering my 2008 mark v Gti hit the 100,000 km mark last Saturday! ( bought new in May 08) with full vwsh to this day.

The car has been bulletproof !

let me know when you're selling

Carpentry wrote: »
    let me know when you're selling

white 5 door
    18's
    rear privacy glass
    VW alarm
    sunroof

Thanks

white 5 door
    18's
    rear privacy glass
    VW alarm
    sunroof

Thanks

DSG ?

DSG ?

Manual

OSI wrote: »
    Manual. The MFD on a DSG model has a column of space down the right for the gear display.
    Manual

I have spotted this alright. Lovely car, but DSG is a must for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have spotted this alright. Lovely car, but DSG is a must for me.

Yip DSG everyday. Just ensure you have verified service history of the box every 60k kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

I have one a few years so thinking about changing over the summer. Prices seem to vary so not sure what's it worth these days?

05, 3 door, dsg, fsh and around 145k km. 18s need a refurb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

I have one a few years so thinking about changing over the summer. Prices seem to vary so not sure what's it worth these days?

05, 3 door, dsg, fsh and around 145k km. 18s need a refurb

I have a mk5 gti and love it,
    Friend in the motor trade just told me today a very very clean mk5 was traded into frank Keane lift vally today.
    No other info but might be worth a look!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I have a mk5 gti and love it,
    Friend in the motor trade just told me today a very very clean mk5 was traded into frank Keane lift vally today.
    No other info but might be worth a look!

Doubt you will see it in frank Keane, it will be passed onto the trade immediately and not offered as frank Keane stock as it’s too old and won’t suit their stock profile

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Hey Carzony, congrats on the purchase. Just a quick question about your insurance. I just paid 1200 to insure a 05 Corolla today with 3 years no claims, just wondering how many years you have to get a gti quote for 1900? I feel like I've been robbed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey Carzony, congrats on the purchase. Just a quick question about your insurance. I just paid 1200 to insure a 05 Corolla today with 3 years no claims, just wondering how many years you have to get a gti quote for 1900? I feel like I've been robbed :D

Insurance doesn't work like that. You could have be the same age and have the same driving experience as Carzony and drive the same GTi it could cost you a totally different figure to insure. Insurance is based on many things including the individual, where you live, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Mad trading a clean GTI into a dealer. A straight, clean, well kept one would be snapped up as good ones are hard to find but they’re a relatively sought after car.

The insurance actually worked out a lot cheaper in the end with AXA. I have 6 years NCB and this is the biggest engine i've even insured.

Update: Finding the car a dream to drive even with the engine mount moving the engine slightly. The automatic lights are a nice little feature and after a good clean the car is gleaming.

The car is really very well suited to the open roads/motorways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A few pics would be nice if you get a chance! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

I bought an 06 one in 2014. Still have it and still love driving it. Great value to be had out there. FYI paying 580e fully comp at 27 years old

I bought it cheap so it obviously needed a bit of work. I have so far replaced a broken bottom hinge on the driver side door, replaced the bottom and side gear box mounts, gave it a full service with proper fully synthetic oil.

Still a huge amount of work to do like the cam follower, new front tyres, repaint the red calipers, replace the middle LED brake light, freshen the interior up with new switches, head light switch and gear stick leather.

*EDIT* Pics won't upload for me properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

, replace the middle LED brake light,

There is a guide to replacing that high level brake light online, it involves breaking the old light and replacing it with a new unit, I thought it was a joke! But apparently the dealer way to do it is pull the spoiler off the car!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=121067.0

I'm not sure if the rear window washer cause the light to break but it seems to be mentioned a lot, you can turn it away apparently to stop water getting at it!

Sorry Lads,

Best pics I could get

Last one added..

• Advertisement
Advertisement