Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing home - House help

Options
  • 08-06-2018 7:58am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, My father has been in a nursing home the last 3 years, my mother still lives at home. Half my fathers pension goes to the nursing home and my mother is up the walls about them taking her house. Am i right in saying that they only take 7.5% of the house value for 3 years and after that they take no more? and she can deffer the payment so she doesnt have to pay it back and can leave it for myself and my brothers to deal with down the road?

am i right in saying that because they are a couple, my father in the nursing home and my mother living at home that this would be capped at 11.5% for her? I just want to try get the facts straight to ease her mind as she worrys about it a lot. Thanks

In the case of a couple, the contribution based on the principal residence will be
    capped at 11.25% (7.5% if the application was made prior to the 25th July
    2013) where one member of the couple remains in the home while the other
    enters long term nursing home care, i.e. the ‘three year’ cap applies. Where a
    person opts for the nursing home loan in respect of the principal residence, their
    spouse or partner can also apply to have the repayment of the loan deferred for
    their lifetime (see section 9).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks a lot for the reply, i believe the load thing was taken so 11.5% of the value of the house at the time, will be paid eventually. thats grand thanks a lot!

Advertisement