Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano Alfine 8-speed hub servicing

Options
  • 08-06-2018 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I brought my 2011 Cube Hyde to MBW for a completely servicing recently as my gears keep sticking when downshifting. He apparently opened it up but said there's a sealed bit that only Shimano service and that was probably my next step. Is this something I have to arrange via the bike shop? Doesn't it cost a fortune to ship it for servicing or do they typically remove the hub and then redo the spokes upon its return? Also any idea the cost of this for those who have done it and how long does it take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I brought my 2011 Cube Hyde to MBW for a completely servicing recently as my gears keep sticking when downshifting. He apparently opened it up but said there's a sealed bit that only Shimano service and that was probably my next step. Is this something I have to arrange via the bike shop? Doesn't it cost a fortune to ship it for servicing or do they typically remove the hub and then redo the spokes upon its return? Also any idea the cost of this for those who have done it and how long does it take?

He's talking bollocks.

Gears sticking is probably the shifter unit which isn't serviceable. Continue to use it when out of sync and you'll kill the planetary gears but you will hear/feel that.

Did you tune from the bottom or top?

Which sg50X is it?

The internal gear lump is non serviceable, you can/could get replacements from sjs.

The hub shell would be left built into the wheel.

The shop should be sending it to Madison (Shimano distributor) not you, although I strongly suspect you're getting the fob off because they don't want the hassle.

I can recommend two shops that are good with them, revolve in Gorey and expert in rathfarnham.

I killed the cup and cones on one of mine, but generally the 8spd is bombproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

Here is a link to a thread on CTC website where you shall find useful information on maintenance and adjustment of those hubs;

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122616&p=1241428&hilit=alfine+8

Also there are some videos on YouTube that outlines the procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFOMD2q5-o4

Advertisement