Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to Watch the World Cup LEGALLY

• 08-06-2018 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So i have a spare tv, and i want to set it up for the world cup, starting next week. I don't want to get an additional box, or run cables around the house.

Looking at NowTV, it doesn't have RTE.

Thinking of saorview, but it seems i need an aerial for that, is that correct?

Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

P.S the tv has a digital turner built in i think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

An aerial for Saorview is your best option IMO.

If you are close to your local transmitter then an indoor aerial might well be sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Rte player and 3 player will stream any live matches that they are broadcasting. All legal of course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

An aerial for Saorview is your best option IMO.

Is that a regular aerial, that you attach to the roof? I thought Saorview was digital?

Rte player and 3 player will stream any live matches that they are broadcasting. All legal of course

Can they be cast, TV isn't smart but have chromecast

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is that a regular aerial, that you attach to the roof? I thought Saorview was digital?

Yes. but there are small indoor aerials which are sufficient for high signal areas.
    Yes, it is digital broadcast, and like any broadcasts you need an aerial to receive them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Isn’t it all exclusive to RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The Rte and 3 players are hit and miss at the best of times. Sometimes even given a worse picture back than an illegal stream.

Saorview if you have the receiver built in or getting a separate box is probably your best bet I'd say.

Yes. but there are small indoor aerials which are sufficient for high signal areas.
    Yes, it is digital broadcast, and like any broadcasts you need an aerial to receive them.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=484936

Like that?

The Rte and 3 players are hit and miss at the best of times. Sometimes even given a worse picture back than an illegal stream.

Saorview if you have the receiver built in or getting a separate box is probably your best bet I'd say.

It says i have a built in turner, the tv is this one

http://www.pcworld.ie/product/jvc-lt40c550-40-led-tv/325934/406.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Can they be cast, TV isn't smart but have chromecast

I can cast to Chromecast from rte player from iPad app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It says i have a built in turner, the tv is this one

http://www.pcworld.ie/product/jvc-lt40c550-40-led-tv/325934/406.3

Yep. Connect a decent internal area and the chances are you will be good to go. All legal and all HD for €30 or so. If the signal is ok, miles better than casting RTE or 3Player.

Depends on your reception ...... check out how far you are from the transmitter that serves your location ...

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is interesting that on an LG smart tv you can't stream rte live on the browser.

Why are they so slow to allow streaming of their channels?

Do they have some sort of contract in place for broadcasting off of terrestrial transmitters and are afraid of people moving online?

They must be losing out on thousands of viewers because of the lack of streaming options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Yep. Connect a decent internal area and the chances are you will be good to go. All legal and all HD for €30 or so. If the signal is ok, miles better than casting RTE or 3Player.

If you’re in a town or city, a 1.50 aerial from Dealz will probably be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

True!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

If you have a satellite dish (perhaps one on your house from a previous tenant) the matches are all on BBC and UTV which are freely available - any old Sky, Freesat or free-to-air box will pick them up.

If you're in a cabled area, try connecting your TV directly to the cable, there are still analogue channels including RTE and TV3 available in some areas

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    If you’re in a town or city, a 1.50 aerial from Dealz will probably be fine!

Someone suggested that, they were all gone in my local dealz

Got an aerial but tried on both settings on TV -atv & dtv no channels found

sugarman wrote: »
    It'd be on digital, have a mess around the settings. Theres usually regional options and such to set. Should be getting something, even it's weak.

A digital signal is either present (sufficient strength for tuner) or is absent .... it does not go weak and snowy like an analogue signal.
    Got an aerial but tried on both settings on TV -atv & dtv no channels found

You have not said how far you are from your recommended transmitter.

Like the vast majority of the country you might need an external or attic aerial.

sugarman wrote: »
    It'd be on digital, have a mess around the settings. Theres usually regional options and such to set. Should be getting something, even it's weak.

Managed to get it sorted, changed location to England and worked, still only Irish channels

• Advertisement

A digital signal is either present (sufficient strength for tuner) or is absent .... it does not go weak and snowy like an analogue signal.

You have not said how far you are from your recommended transmitter.

Like the vast majority of the country you might need an external or attic aerial.

5 km away, range of aerial is 9km... Managed to get it sorted tho

Managed to get it sorted, changed location to England and worked, still only Irish channels

Of course ..... that is all that is transmitted on Saorview.

If you want more then you need to add a satellite dish and a receiver if your TV does not have a satellite tuner.

Of course ..... that is all that is transmitted on Saorview.

If you want more then you need to add a satellite dish and a receiver if your TV does not have a satellite tuner.

Oh I know I can only get Irish, but when I set location to Ireland no channels

Oh I know I can only get Irish, but when I set location to Ireland no channels

The vagaries of your TV's firmware :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Sorry to jump on here but looking for an indoor TV aerial myself for the mothers house. Have an outdoor aerial but it seems to scramble a lot lately. I have re tuned , which has worked for a while and then it scrambles again.
    She is 24KM from the nearest transmitter so i take it the cheap 1.50 aerials wouldn't do?
    What would be the best cheap option available?

maximo31 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on here but looking for an indoor TV aerial myself for the mothers house. Have an outdoor aerial but it seems to scramble a lot lately. I have re tuned , which has worked for a while and then it scrambles again.
    She is 24KM from the nearest transmitter so i take it the cheap 1.50 aerials wouldn't do?
    What would be the best cheap option available?

IMO it does not matter how dear the indoor aerial is, if the signal is not strong enough where it is sited it won't be suitable.

Have you had the existing aerial checked for
    1. moved and not pointing in correct direction
    2. damaged so not functioning properly
    3. coax connection not good .... loose or water-logged or such

Exterior aerials are cheap and provide a much better and reliable signal.

Advertisement