Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customer unable to pay for petrol

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dave147 wrote: »
    Wrong, most stores do.
    Maybe the asshole could have checked inside before filling his tank.

I hope the prick is good for his word. I would hate to see the OP get screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Next time take the spare wheel or customers mobile as security until they come back.

Spare wheel is a daft idea. If it's missing from the car (after you dig it out), you'd forget after a few days, and it will take up space in the shop.
    Licence is standard I thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Customer should of had cash are a card on him. Or least asked inside before he began filling his tank.

Most stores at present don't cater for this app.

I pretty much pay exclusively using the AIB iPhone app. Hasn't been not-accepted anywhere yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Maybe the asshole could have checked inside before filling his tank.

Thats not at all over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

margo321 wrote: »
    ask for writen policy on what should be done in such circumstances. also contact work relation commission as i dont think that's a lawful deduction from your wage.

There was no deduction from his wage. So no point going to anyone.

He was asked to pay it himself which whilst has the same outcome, it is not illegal in any way. If customer comes back, he gets it back.

As I said before, if the op was unsure he should have passed the query to someone else. That's almost common sense and should nor require a "rule".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

CeilingFly wrote: »
    There was no deduction from his wage. So no point going to anyone.

The Payment of Wages act covers a payment to the employer for an error or omission, so legally the payment is a deduction from his wage.

Regulation of certain deductions made and payments received by employers.

5.—(1) An employer shall not make a deduction from the wages of an employee (or receive any payment from an employee)

The Payment of Wages act covers a payment to the employer for an error or omission, so legally the payment is a deduction from his wage.

I suggest you read the entire act and not just quote half a sentence.

I suggest you read the entire act and not just quote half a sentence.

You are the one saying it not a deduction and that the OP cant go to anyone about it, not me. The wrc is the body that the OP can contact if the money is not returned. Feel free to point the bit of legistation which covers the managers actions.

You are the one saying it not a deduction and that the OP cant go to anyone about it, not me. The wrc is the body that the OP can contact if the money is not returned. Feel free to point the bit of legistation which covers the managers actions.

Read the act. Its written in quite plain English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

OP's Manager seems to be lacking commonsense and human emotions. I don't know about the processes and rules already in place and if OP broke any, but come on, if you start viewing everyone as bad person, the world will soon be a hellish place.

I once filled up my motorbike at AppleGreen near M1 on R132, and realised I had no wallet on me. I was on my way to work and 10 Kms away from home. Went in and explained the situation, lad there took note of my name phone number and bike reg, and that was it. I paid them on the way back from work that evening. Absolutely zero issues. A bit of trust goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Slightly off topic but one time, I was at a prepay pump. Went into the shop, put 40 on the pump, bought a few items, then promptly proceeded to hop back in the car and drive off without getting the fuel. Only noticed when I was far enough away that it was not worth going back for. Chalked it up to a life lesson.

But just curious what happened the money in this situation. I doubt the cashier got his wages credited with the amount! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

ElWalrus wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but one time, I was at a prepay pump. Went into the shop, put 40 on the pump, bought a few items, then promptly proceeded to hop back in the car and drive off without getting the fuel. Only noticed when I was far enough away that it was not worth going back for. Chalked it up to a life lesson.

But just curious what happened the money in this situation. I doubt the cashier got his wages credited with the amount! :pac:
    He probably topped his own car up with it.

Read the act. Its written in quite plain English.

Feel free to point the bit of legistation which covers the managers actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Guffy

It depends on when the next person to use pump arrived.

Either they lifted it and it was still active and they topped up all of it and there was nothing to pay in the shop.

They filled up some of it, say €20, and there was nothing to pay in shop. Your account would then be credited with the remaining €20 that was unused.

It timed out and your account was refunded the full €40

Edit: Sorry thought you prepaid with your card at pump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭damianch

That's a sickner mate. I was only thinking about that recently. It's such a pain in the ass to have to go in and pay first and then back out to the pump. And then back in if you want a receipt!

Bet the guy after you still had to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 8 notacrackpot

sorry for late reply, I got the money back, he did come back.
    as for the protocol, I was told to keep the person there, so I'm just going to call the manager next time

as for the protocol, I was told to keep the person there, so I'm just going to call the manager next time

Check your contact of employment to see if the company have a clause to allow them to recover the cost of anything from you.

Ask the manager what the proceedure is if the driver is not willing to stay until the manager comes.

Note Do not under any circumstance attempt to physically stop the customer from leaving: dont block, dont close any doors, don't touch or reach towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Glad you got the money back 9 times out of 10 you will .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 personwriting

I work in a petrol station with prepay pumps and I know in our place when you pre-pay you're first credited a euro and then once you pump the money comes out of your account. If you pre-pay and then drive off all your missing is a euro and that goes back into your account in 4-5 working days.

For the OP, they can only make you pay for drive offs if it is in your contract.

Advertisement