Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever keep to the speed limit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

The RSA survey doesn't ask people about their driving/riding. They put speed cameras out and measure speed.

How many bikes/cars/cyclists are caught by these cameras?
    Any numbers?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Nah, lets not, no interest in anything to do with bicycles tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

bladespin wrote: »
    Yes actually, did you take it? Questions for bike ruders were quite obviously leading, not hard to know what the findings would be before completing it. Also I find it hard to put any weight on these kinds of survey as they don't tend to be treated seriously and are answered as such.
    As for liking the result or not, I fell firmly in the 'meh' category, tbh everyone including my granny has exceeded the speed limit at some stage, I've done it on my bike and every single day in the car.

The RSA Speed Survey isn't a survey that you take. There are no questions.

They put out speed cameras and measure speed of trucks, cars and motor bikes.

How many bikes/cars/cyclists are caught by these cameras?
    Any numbers?

All the numbers are on the RSA website if you like to have a look. From memory, I don't think they count cyclists in the speed survey, possible because speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

The RSA Speed Survey isn't a survey that you take. There are no questions.

Ah thought you were referring to their motocycle survey, they do so many, kinda suggests they don't have much faith in them.
    They put out speed cameras and measure speed of trucks, cars and motor bikes.

Ah here, that's blatant discrimination against cyclists, lets draw up a survey!

• Advertisement

From memory, I don't think they count cyclists in the speed survey, possible because speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

Lol good joke

Barney224 wrote: »
    A quick question, and it's not intended as a gripe or posting for an argument.

I just wanted to know if any motor cyclists ever keep to the speed limit on our roads? As a car driver I don't think I've ever seen a motorcyclist stick to the limit!

If you’ve never seen a motorcyclist stick to the speed limit, then you are not a very observant driver

If you’ve never seen a motorcyclist stick to the speed limit, then you are not a very observant driver

Probably too busy googling surveys on the phone.

Ah thought you were referring to their motocycle survey, they do so many, kinda suggests they don't have much faith in them.
    They do their 'free speed survey every year, or most years in recent years. I guess it is a standard international methodology, as I see the UK govt do something similar too.
    Lol good joke

What's the joke?

They do their 'free speed survey every year, or most years in recent years. I guess it is a standard international methodology, as I see the UK govt do something similar too.
    Out of interest, how many motorcycles were surveyed? 100% certainly suggests a low sample rate.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how many motorcycles were surveyed? 100% certainly suggests a low sample rate.

Like I said above, all the numbers are on the RSA website if you like to have a look.

Like I said above, all the numbers are on the RSA website if you like to have a look.

Nah, lost me already, rather watch paint dry than the rsa web****e.

Barney224 wrote: »
    A quick question, and it's not intended as a gripe or posting for an argument.

I just wanted to know if any motor cyclists ever keep to the speed limit on our roads? As a car driver I don't think I've ever seen a motorcyclist stick to the limit!

No , never. Not in a car or a bike. Drive whatever speed I feel I think is suitable

Eg N11 cabinteely to UCD what's the speed limit 50? It should be 100, it's a good quality road with no pedestrians so I drive 100 in a car or on a bike makes no difference to me what I'm driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

Funnily enough, the Luas red light cameras found that 88% of red light jumpers were motorists, not cyclists - but if you do have any other interest stats to bring to the party, please get them on the table - with details of your sources please.

No source, just pulled those figures out of my arse. Statistics are bull**** most of the time anyway. People act the dicks in all walks of life so it breaks even in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lol good joke

No speed limits or CUI for cyclists. So you can
    cycle at 60km/h full to the gills down O'Connell and nothing can be done to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

What response do you expect?

Regardless of mode of transport I can guarantee you that there is not 1 person who sticks to the speed limit all the time in this country (including myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

MSVforever wrote: »
    What response do you expect?

Regardless of mode of transport I can guarantee you that there is not 1 person who sticks to the speed limit all the time in this country (including myself).

My wife does.......much to my annoyance...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've a 500km round trip from Dublin to Galway to buy a CBR600RR this evening, you can bet you fooking life speed limits will be broken on the way home lol

I've a 500km round trip from Dublin to Galway to buy a CBR600RR this evening, you can bet you fooking life speed limits will be broken on the way home lol

Hope its worth it for a "G" plate..................:P

Wailin wrote: »
    No source, just pulled those figures out of my arse. Statistics are bull**** most of the time anyway. People act the dicks in all walks of life so it breaks even in the end.

People do indeed act like dicks on the road, cyclists, motorists, motorbikers, pedestrians. But I'm not so sure about the 'all breaks even in the end bit'. It's not cyclists who are killing 3 or 4 people each week on the roads and maiming many more.

• Advertisement

People do indeed act like dicks on the road, cyclists, motorists, motorbikers, pedestrians. But I'm not so sure about the 'all breaks even in the end bit'. It's not cyclists who are killing 3 or 4 people each week on the roads and maiming many more.

No...its the criminals.....;)

No...its the criminals.....;)

Indeed - the criminals in cars, vans and trucks - and possibly even on motorbikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Indeed - the criminals in cars, vans and trucks - and possibly even on motorbikes.

How many people have been killed by motor bikers, not scumbags on scramblers/junk, in the last 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

I can only speak for myself but fûçked if I’m gona sit on a road with a load of cars to my front and rear at 100kph, I accelerate out of the traffic and try to get some road to myself.
    I guess you don’t no what it’s like on a bike in the middle of fast moving traffic but I’m not gona be the cushion between two cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Zascar wrote: »
    Lets start another thread about how all cyclists are twats.

I think an awful lot of you totally missed the sarcasm. Please re read the thread considering the previous posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Zascar wrote: »
    I think an awful lot of you totally missed the sarcasm. Please re read the thread considering the previous posts...

So are or are we not starting the thread? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Probably easier to read the train wreck of the last one: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661208

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I think that this is a good discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

because speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Fascinated by the thread title.

Advertisement