Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to budget for building a house

Options
  • 08-06-2018 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning on building a house. I have planning permission.

I got a quote and it's a bit above my budget. But there seems to be loads of costs which arent included in this.

Kitchen
    Bathroom suites
    ESB connection
    Water connection
    I presume the architect will want more money off me during and after the build as well
    Staircase

Are there any other costs I should be aware of?

The bank won't give me any info on how much I can borrow without getting quotes from builders. So I can only go to them now.

I suppose I can reduce the spec of everything to save money. Any other ways of reducing costs other than going back to the architect? I don't really want to change the layout of the house.

It's all a bit overwhelming.

I told the architect my approximate budget at the start but he seems to have gone over the top a little, but we compromised on the size already. I just don't know how people seem to build these huge houses.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Other items that more than likely will not be included in your builders quotation would include:

1) Local Authority Contribution/Council fees. Depending on what local authority your dealing with these fees can be substantial
    2) Flooring/tiling for floor finishes
    3) Painting - internal or external
    4) Kitchen / utility appliances, sinks & taps etc.
    5) Any fancy lighting, switches, sockets such as brushed chrome, tapered edges etc. Your builders price will include for plane bog standard fixtures and the bear minimum. If you want additional fixtures, sockets and switches you will pay extra, unless you specified at time of tender
    6) Likewise for internal carpentry and joinery. Builders price will cover bog standard window boards, doors, architraves and skirting unless specified at time of tender
    7) external works, such as landscaping, driveway, kerbing etc. Again unless you specified it at time of tender
    8) finishes and decoration

Advertisement