Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday to Sydney with a 2.5 year old

• 08-06-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi

I am going to Sydney for our holidays for the last 2 weeks in August.

Has anyone completed a similar trip with a 2.5 year old

Would the hassle of the flight be worth it for the 2 weeks there. There would be a bit of flexibility on a couple of extra days to help settle back into crèche when we got home.

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

We're travelling to Vancouver in July with an almost 18 month old (mine) and a 2+4 month year old (my niece). 9 hour flight with an 8 hour time difference. I'll report back how we get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

For two weeks in a Sydney winter? I wouldn’t do it. Not on my own and certainly not with a 2 year old. Unless it was to see family and it was your only chance to go in the next 5 years. You’ll be travelling for 4 days out of 14.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’ve a family member who comes the opposite way but only does it for at least 4 weeks as it usually takes little one over a week to switch time zones (has been 6 times - now 4). Its a b*tch, I wouldn’t even dream of it for that time, it won’t be a holiday. On the other side they make sure partner is home for week to readjust. No way they could go back to Creche etc. also family member has us to help out and can sleep when they need of little one awake. Honestly think you’d be bonkers. If they were a baby baby then I’d say yes as she found it easier when they were smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

As an adult I wouldn't travel to Australia if only for 2 weeks. It's too far you need at least 3 weeks. Bringing a 2 year old is mad in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

It’s manageable. Just be prepared with lots of entertainment and snacks. These are great too (cheaper on amazon): https://www.planepal.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Duncanwooly

Have you ever travelled abroad with the children ? How did those trips go ?

If you haven't, would it be possible to take a trip to Spain or France so you can acclimatise the Children to airports, and airline travel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

smaoifs wrote:
    We're travelling to Vancouver in July with an almost 18 month old (mine) and a 2+4 month year old (my niece). 9 hour flight with an 8 hour time difference. I'll report back how we get on!

So we're back since Thursday. The flight was a breeze compared to the baby's jetlag since then.
    She was fine when we got to Vancouver, they're 8 hours ahead so when we got there we had a 2 hour nap before heading out and about. The 10 days there were fine, she adjusted so quickly.
    We landed in Dublin on Thursday morning after flying through the night, she slept the whole way home to Waterford and was awake all day but a bit ratty. Went to bed at usual time but woke at 1.30am, a half bottle settled her but we all slept til nearly 10 the next morning.
    Friday night, went to bed as usual but woke up around 11 and stayed up til 2.30, kept her downstairs in the dark and quiet to settle her. Last night she only woke for around 30 minutes and was settled with a bottle. Tonight, tried putting her to bed at 8, showing all signs of tiredness but was 10.30 before she finally settled.
    We're back to work tomorrow so hopefully being back in our routine will force the jetlag off her.
    As for the flight, the way out was a morning flight so we kept her busy with books, she's not big into screens yet but her picture books kept her occupied and she slept some of the way. The way back was an afternoon flight so she was due her nighttime sleep a few hours into it, again just books kept her busy.

Advertisement