Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

premier league mid season winter break from 2019-2020 season

• 08-06-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭

Premier League and EFL announce new two-week break in February from 2019-20 season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It seems to be more a case of the 10 matches of a game week being staggered over two weekends, so every team gets one weekend off, effectively 13 or 14 days without a game.
    Which is pretty decent for viewers really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its hardly "mid-season" though.

I mean, the season will have been on for roughly 6 months by the time the break is introduced and there will be roughly 3 months left when it starts.

They should have put it in early January, IMO.

This is from other leagues in Europe.
    Germany were off from the 20 December to 12 January.
    France were off from 20 December to 6 January .
    Spain were off from 23 December to 3 January.
    Italy were off from January 6 to 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sky would never want a Xmas winter break. It is the one time people sit down en masse to watch games and go to pubs.

It is actually a decent idea and most teams will probably be able to get a warm weather camp in for a week. With injuries and wear and tear that would be a good boost for players.

I've no doubt it will be good for teams but my gripe with the break is when it is planned for.

Yes TV will probably dictate when they can take a break as they wont want to lose an audience but I'd imagine they've also planned it around the FA and League cup schedule too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I've no doubt it will be good for teams but my gripe with the break is when it is planned for.

Yes TV will probably dictate when they can take a break as they wont want to lose an audience but I'd imagine they've also planned it around the FA and League cup schedule too.

And European games will have to be factored into it as well, also we seen this coming with the tv packages that BT announced yesterday.

It is just the Premier League the Football league will not have a break

No replays in the 5th round of the FA Cup and its being moved to midweek to help as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No replays in the 5th round of the FA Cup and its being moved to midweek to help as well

Poor old Premier League clubs need all the help they can get. Glad the downtrodden megarich of English football are finally catching a break.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Always considered the tedious FA Cup weekends the equivalent of a winter break with so many teams rotating then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It seems to be more a case of the 10 matches of a game week being staggered over two weekends, so every team gets one weekend off, effectively 13 or 14 days without a game.
    Which is pretty decent for viewers really.

Some cynical comments on twitter saying that the weekend off might involve lucrative trips abroad for US audiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Its not really a break at all compared to other leagues and will make little or no difference. Big European games in February aswell so players will still be training hard. Typical PL come up with a solution that will result in playing games over 2 weekends.

brevity wrote: »
    Some cynical comments on twitter saying that the weekend off might involve lucrative trips abroad for US audiences

It will be around the return of European games so really can not see the big teams going off over the World for a friendly when they have a Champions League game coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

February seems a bit late for a break. No way were they going to give up the Christmas fixtures but what's stopping them having a break in early to mid January? Hardly the 3rd round of the FA Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Early January would have been a better time.Get the Xmas schedule out of the way and then go from 11th January. It's too late into the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A Spring break.

I know it was mentioned before about teams hopping off on a plane to Dubai or somewhere for a money spinning game to raise millions but I reckon teams will treat it as a warm weather get away for 5-7 days.

The only teams that will really benefit from this or teams going deep in European and domestic cup competitions, when Conte came in at Chelsea and we were playing one game a week, the players were off for 2 or 3 days between games nearly every other week and they went far and wide on their days off.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It should be a week longer to actually benefit players. As done it is a pointless sop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The break should be over 2-3 weeks taking in that crazy Christmas/New Year period.Also scrap those silly friendly International weekends and use them for League games.

The break should be over 2-3 weeks taking in that crazy Christmas/New Year period.Also scrap those silly friendly International weekends and use them for League games.

Ahh yes take away the time when some people may only be able to attend games, they could play less games around Christmas time.

Well when should international teams try out new players?

Great idea. Long overdue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

As far as I'm aware one of the conditions was that teams couldn't organize friendlies abroad as a money spinner, with United being the main objector to it.

Advertisement