Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

find when my computer was last used

Options
  • 08-06-2018 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to find when my computer was last used. It is on all the time

Display goes off after 20 min

Put computer to sleep is set to never

Event viewer /windows/system does not show much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a computer is on, then it's always doing something, so using the basic things like event viewer won't help.

What you want is an application which tracks the device's idle time. Idle time is time when it's receiving no input from a user. It should log the time the device goes idle, and the time it become active again.

Just be careful what you download, there'll be plenty of adware and bloatware out there.

If you're looking to find out if someone else is using it when you're not around, then a keylogger is probably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is there any way to find when my computer was last used. It is on all the time

Display goes off after 20 min

Put computer to sleep is set to never

Event viewer /windows/system does not show much
    As mentioned above, once PC powered up it is constantly in use.
    What you trying to trace? Local access/use of PC or remote? Do you suspect anything? Other reasons?

Would it suite you to lock PC once leaving unattended - hit Windows key + L -- password will be required and fresh Even ID 4624 will be added.
    Security logs register all logins. Filter from the date/time you left PC + by ID and you will be able to minimize list of logs to look through. More filtering options available, but that would be XML. You can read some here: Filtering Security Logs by User and Logon Type or google for more

Advertisement