Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bi-Annual Final Marathon Then Retire Log

• 08-06-2018 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Honesty first:
    I have started logs elsewhere before and they always tailed off but I'll try and keep this simple in an effort to maintain it

Background:
    Started running in 2007 after a long love affair with beer and fags resulted in a blood clot in the left lung and pneumonia in the right lung over the course of a few months. A friend suggested the Port Tunnel 10k and I went from there to quickly settling on marathons. I finished Cork in 2007 after a 'ah sure I'll be grand' attitude to training in 4:44:44. I learned my lessons that day.
    To date I have run 20, mostly as a tourist with 4-5 with serious attempts at a decent time.
    I've a 3:09 PB and have made two serious attempts at sub 3 in the past couple of years that have either ended mid race (Dublin 2015 - Leg went out from under me after halfway and hobbled to the finish. No real explanation) or before they began (in fantastic shape for Rotterdam 2017 but travelled with a heavy cold and the hot day and foolish optimism saw me crash and burn)

Goal:
    The plan for this year is Valencia in December for another stab at sub 3.
    Honestly, I want one more race where I arrive healthy with decent conditions and can finish knowing I could give it my best. If that's 2:50 or 3:05, that's fine (I'll still be aiming for 2:50!)
    In recent years I've wandered into the dark side of triathlon and found I enjoy the variety along with the long hours training. I learned to swim at 36 from scratch and I've put a lot of effort into getting this slow so don't want to lose that. Triathlon is probably where I'll wind up long term

Training Plan:
    I ran my PB using Jack Daniels' 2nd Edition so am using the 3rd Edition 2Q plan this time round.
    Something different I have never done in the past is to build a solid base so I'll be more capable of taking on 18 weeks of 80-100km weeks.
    I'll still swim for enjoyment and continued improvement but the bike will drop to precious little. Strength training has come with triathlon so I'll maintain that.
    Running will take precedence though if it comes down to time or what I'm able for.

And now to figure out tables on boards......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Week|Run (Km)|Time|Swim (Km)|Time|Bike (Km)|Time|Gym (hrs)
    1|37.83|3:07|1.20|0:38|0.00|0:00|0:44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Was there a coup on the Tri Forum? We are getting a good few logs as of late we lost in the divorce :P

Best of luck in Valencia.

2|45.07|3:40|1.60|1:10|0:00|0:00|0:20
    3|52.32|4:14|4:40|2:22|21.33|0:40|0:50
    4|59.56|4:50|0:00|0:00|0:00|0:00|0:00

Friday

Morning - Swim - 1000m
    I spent an afternoon with a swim coach who went through video analysis stuff with me. Lots to improve on and I've made some immediate improvements in time and technique.
    Today I was just going through drills but my breathing wasn't great. I had trouble getting a breath, could be the pool, the weather or I'm coming down with something. Either way I cut it short so I wouldn't be put of the run later on.

Afternoon - Run - 5 Miles Easy
    All runs at the moment are at around 5 min/km pace while I build a solid base.
    This was nothing special but my legs have been heavy all week. I'd like to think it's just a minor dose and not a reaction to my very sensible increases in mileage.
    10 miles planned for tomorrow so we'll see how the body is during and after that

Evening - Sod all
    Normally I'd do a quick 20 minutes on the turbo or down to the gym, nothing too strenuous, but I'm not enjoying the heat and feeling stuffy so am leaving it for today.
    Running remains the priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Welcome! I probably started the divorce and now we are trickling back!

So is tri on the back burner until the marathon is done? Are you all in for Valencia or still going to risk some messing?

• Advertisement

Tri is definitely on the back burner.
    I upset myself in Rotterdam last year by coming so close but came away knowing I could run sub 3.
    I never really thought too much about it until then.
    I'd love to combine the two, especially on days like today when I see folk out for a spin, but I don't want to be sat here at Christmas saying 'next year I won't cycle or swim so much'
    I'll give it my all and leave nothing to chance. I get there will be things outside my control but flogging myself isn't going to be one of them. One concession will be swimming, I've worked too hard over too long to get this slow, I don't want to go backwards

Yeah if you plan to return to tri at least one swim a week. Plus it helps with running recovery IMO. Cycling you can get back quickest and since the running will keep the weight down you may not suffer as much on climbs when you get out for a spin.

After I focused on running for a winter I had my best tri results that summer (sprint up to half IM, The IM was the anomaly).

Good to move over here while you give it a go with focus. Best of luck and I follow with interest

Saturday

Evening - Run - 10 Miles Easy
    Long day in the sun meant I had to run after our 4 year old went to sleep. She decided tonight would be perfect for acting the goat so I didn't get out till near 9.
    The morning involved moving our 47 year old Beetle with separate engine. I made some witty comment to the tow truck guy about us remembering to lift with our backs and ignore that knee nonsense.
    Felt a twinge later on in the same area I've damage from a couple of car crashes. Bloody karma.
    Didn't feel it much on the run thankfully and just made it back before it was proper dark.
    I used the run to road test my new Salomon hydration vest/backpack. It was grand apart from a few loose things for carrying walking poles. I'll pin them down for next time.
    Overall pace was a handy 4:54 per km so I'm bang on track.
    Hoping the back clears up though

3|52.32|4:14|4.40|2:22|21.33|0:40|0:50
    5|66.77|5:26|1.50|0:49|9.20|0:20|0:41

Pleased enough with last week's numbers. It's good to see it in this format especially as I can see the running numbers are not going up dramatically. Looking back at old logs there might be a 60km week followed by a 100km week followed by a 60km where I felt rotten. I'm hopeful the slow build to reasonably high and consistent mileage will reap it's own rewards.
    Week 4 was all done around Menorca on a late deal holiday so no swimming, cycling or gym. Either that or divorce.
    My back is still tender so will take things gently as possible this week

Monday

Morning - Swim - 1600m
    I'm still on maintenance and drills with no major plans for this year. This was nice though, I went back to using the programmed Garmin so my breaks were consistent otherwise I wind up chatting

Afternoon - Run - 8 Miles Easy
    More easy miles but felt it a bit more today. The back is still tender but disappears on runs. The muggy weather was probably the main culprit for feeling sluggish though I maintained my just under 5min per km pace. I threw in some strides towards the end as it came at the local gravel track. 100m, 200m, 300m and 400m at between 3:30 and 3:45 per km which felt nice.
    I finish this week on the same pace and then it's a slight bump in VDOT and the introduction of some speed and strength runs.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

I felt better than yesterday and I'm straining to go quicker. I know I'll do myself no favours by upping the pace so sticking with it. Fecking Garmin is great at telling me to slow down anyway.
    My back is still sore but seems to be improving

Evening - Bike - FTP Ramp Test
    This could also be classified as 'general fluting about'
    TrainerRoad have introduced a new ramp test that replaces the 8 and 20 minute FTP tests. It does what it says on the tin and gets progressively harder as the test goes on and hopefully gives you a shiny, new FTP number at the end of it.
    I bailed early as I just wanted to see what was involved but might give it a proper go later in the week

Wednesday

Morning - Swim - 400m
    I have to be in the office on a Wednesday so the amount of swimming I get done is based on how early I can get out of the house. Someone took the tiny train to tantrum town so I only got 10 minutes in before I had to hit the road

Afternoon - Run - 6 Miles Easy
    Rough day in work so I started this angry and too fast but settled into the usual easy pace after a bit. I've always felt running is the best thing for my mood should I need it

On a somewhat related topic, I booked my hotel for Valencia.
    The plan is to fly to Madrid on the Friday, train to Valencia that afternoon. Friday and Saturday night in the hotel, slay the dragon on Sunday and then train back to Madrid that afternoon to meet my sister who is based there and fly back on Monday

Thursday

Morning - Bike - FTP Ramp Test
    I gave this another go, just to add another minute or so to it. It's enjoyable but I'm conscious of loading on too many 'extra' hard workouts

Afternoon - Run - 5.5 Miles Easy
    Nothing too out of the ordinary. I threw in a few 100m strides towards the end of the run

Friday

Morning - Swim - 1200m
    This was horrible. It was mostly a lot of kicking sets working on rotation but for the most part I felt like I was swimming in gravy and gasping for air. Standing up away from the surface of the water helped so I'm guessing a mixture of chlorine and a little cold got the better of me

This was better than the swim at least. Nice and steady if a little quicker than prescribed

Saturday

Morning - Run - 12 Miles Easy
    After having to run on Saturday night last week I opted for an early start.
    I took an out and back route from Arklow towards Brittas. It's a lovely route I would normally take on the bike but rarely run it. It's pretty hilly though with some sharp up/down hills rather than steady drags so it took a lot out of me.
    More gear testing though. I got a new rain jacket. One of the barely there see through jobs. It was drizzling as I left but I left the jacket on when it dried up just to see how breathable it actually was. Turned out it does what it says on the tin and I wasn't overly sweating. Coming back had more uphill than down so I'm pleased to have been bang on with even pacing the whole way

6|76.44|6:10|3.20|1:30|20.00|0:45|0:00
    Total|337.99|27:27|11.9|6:29|50.53|1:45|2:35

Six weeks base training in the bag.
    I graphed my fitness levels via HR averages (not an exact science I know) and average HR for the 6 weeks, considering all runs were basically at the same pace, stood at 145bpm. Looking at it as a trend there is a nice downward slope showing that even though the runs have gotten progressively longer I am getting fitter.

Next up is six more weeks of base training but with some quality days. I've mirrored these from the main plan but shortened them a bit.
    The next couple of weeks are low enough on mileage so rather than fill the days with 2 and 3 mile runs I've opted to take a day off here and there and absorb what I've already done until mileage starts to ramp up again

Monday

Morning - Swim - 1550m
    I'm still trying to work up the distance in swimming. I was knocking out regular 3k swims last year but just finding it difficult this year. The new style is probably accounting for most of it. I'm quicker but still working hard while I adjust to it.

Afternoon - Gym - 41mins
    No run scheduled for today so I got a good bit done in the gym. I'm following the workout plans from Gale Bernhardt's book, much the same as the Joe Friel plans but with a bit of 'vanity' work thrown in.
    Nothing is done to failure as I've no intention of over extending myself. Currently on the Power Endurance block (12 reps at about 75% of 1 rep max). All good clean fun

Tuesday

Morning - Bike - 20 Mins
    I've discovered the workout creator on TrainerRoad so I can shrink the workouts into something more manageable. As with the gym, the bike is something I just want to keep ticking over until the winter

Late Afternoon - Run - 3E+1T+3 MIN REST+1T+3E
    I may need to break that down
    3 Miles Easy pace - Around 4:50per km
    1 Mile Threshold - Around 4:00per km
    3 Minutes Rest
    1 Mile Threshold - Around 4:00per km
    3 Miles Easy - Around 4:50per km

Excuses first:
    It was hot
    It was orientation day in the child's new school so I took a half day from work to be there
    It was hot
    I didn't get down to the track until about 4pm
    It was windy
    It was hot
    I felt sluggish starting out
    It was very hot

Reality:
    This was my first track based workout in a lonnnng time and it showed. I took the first interval at bang on pace and lasted to about 800m before needing to stop. I walked for a bit and then finished it in maybe two more sections.
    The second interval got me to about 1km before I ran out of steam. Again I finished it in as best shape as I could after a walk break.
    This didn't bother me though, I'm glad it came when it did as I'm still in base phases. If I couldn't come close to completing the workout when I'm in the main programme (in early August) I would be rethinking my goals.
    And, yes, it was very hot. The cool down took a lot of perseverance too

Wednesday

Morning - Swim - 800m
    I'm not quick and limited on time on Wednesday mornings so want to maximize my time. I've taken some of the SwimSmooth sessions and squished them down into short bursts. It feels better than wandering down to the pool and making stuff up for 15-20 minutes. I'm the type that needs a plan mapped out so this should suit me better

Afternoon - Run - 4.5 Miles Easy
    First easy run with the new bump in VDOT. It felt grand if a little more of an effort. I expect that will pass soon enough and I'll be whinging about how slow it feels soon enough. Hopefully

Evening - Gym - 20 Mins
    Nothing too special here, just continuing on with the PE phase. I've noticed I'm topping out in certain moves, something to keep an eye on so I don't overdo it

Thursday

Morning - Bike - 20 Mins
    Another watered down TrainerRoad workout

This felt better than yesterday. The new pace (about 4:50) isn't too much of a stretch

Friday

Morning - Swim - 1600m
    I've figured that I'm not finishing more sessions than I should and looking back there have been some gaps in training.
    Technically I'm not training for a swim but thoughts of doing Glendalough in September are creeping in so I should at least attempt to build to it. The plan up to then is to just increase my daily workout distance periodically. I'm kind of stuck on Wednesday so I'll do what I can there but there's no reason I can't look towards a sensible build in distance Monday and Friday

Feeling a bit tired today so decided not to do anything extra. There was no run planned but I had hoped to hop into the sea for a bit. Sunny weather put me off it (drive to the beach, strip to the wetsuit, walk down to the shore). It's not nearly as bad as it sounds, I'm just putting myself off.
    First M pace miles tomorrow

Saturday

Morning - Run - 2E,1M,2E,1M,2E,1M,2E,1M,2E

Rep|Target|Actual
    2 Miles Easy|4:48-5:06|4:48
    1 Mile Marathon|4:09:4:19|4:09
    2 Miles Easy|4:48-5:06|4:49
    1 Mile Marathon|4:09:4:19|4:11
    1 Mile Marathon|4:09:4:19|4:10
    1 Mile Marathon|4:09:4:19|4:10
    2 Miles Easy|4:48-5:06|4:47

This couldn't really have gone much better. I had a walk break after the 3rd and 4th M pace rep but I'm obscenely pleased with how this went.
    It's a long way to 1 mile at this pace to doing it 26 times but it's reassuring at least to see these times.

7|52.77|4:10|3.95|1:55|17.89|0:40|1:01
    Total|52.77|4:10|3.95|1:55|17.89|0:40|1:01

First week with some quality complete. This week may include some night runs to avoid the heat. I'm also working a quarter end in work so I have to squeeze in what I can when I can

• Advertisement

Monday

Morning - Swim - 1600m
    New CSS. I still move like a glacier but getting slightly quicker

Afternoon - Gym - 30mins
    Week 3 of the PE part of the plan. Another week and I move up to the 50 rep tiny weight exercises

Tuesday

Morning - Bike - 20mins
    TrainerRoad again. These short sharp workouts are starting to feel good

Afternoon - Run - 3E + 6 x (400m I w/400m jog)+ 4 x (200 R w/200m jog) + 3E (Total of 10Miles/16km)
    Jaysus, the heat
    I got through this but the cool down was a bit wobbly and I took a few walks.
    Rep|Target|Actual1|Actual2|Actual3|Actual4|Actual5|Actual6
    Warm Up|4:48-5:06|4:48
    6 x 400m|3:36-3:46|3:33|3:38|3:39|3:35|3:33|3:38
    Rest|400m
    4 x 200|3:21-3:31|3:30|3:20|3:23|3:26
    Rest|200m
    Cool Down|4:48-5:06|5:03

This is where this log is paying dividends. I had contemplated dropping this and blaming the weather but I stuck with it. Being accountable, even if no one is looking, is a good spur to keep to the plan

Wednesday

Morning - Swim - 800m
    The structure is good on these short sessions. Turning up with a plan cuts down on the chat

Afternoon - Run - 7 Miles Easy
    Sorry world, as soon as I got out of sight of work the shirt was off. Pace was easy enough to maintain but coming back was a bit of slog. I think I tend to lose a bit of interest sometimes when the end is in sight and just make it hard on myself

Thursday

Morning - Bike - 20Mins
    I'm going to up the watts on these a tad. Not that I want to make them into some kind of suffer fest but I am shortening the set workout so much and still sticking to the same intensity. I'll add 10 watts to each interval next time, just to work a tiny bit harder

Suns out, guns out again. This was easier than yesterday though with the increase in VDOT starting to settle and easy runs starting to feel too easy

Evening - Gym - 32mins
    This was a sweatfest. The gym is not air conditioned, none of the machines have fans. It's a bit like Average Joe's from Dodgeball but I like it, you feel like you are earning your sweat

Friday

Morning - Swim - 1600m
    Using a SwimSmooth plan (Varying Focus) to concentrate on different aspects of my stroke. The session with the swim coach has added more context to these so I feel I'm getting more out of them.
    Swimming is a pain in the ar$e in a lot of ways but sometimes it all clicks. Everything clicked during one 200m rep when I just felt like everything was moving as it should and I slipped through the water with ease. I'm still middle of the back of the pack pace but feeling effortless for 200m is a nice feeling

Saturday

Morning - Run - 3E+1T+60 min E+1T+E to 23km (Aiming for 14miles)
    I work for an American company so the end of June is quarter end meaning Saturday June 30th is a long late day. Luckily my bosses are quite flexible so I ran this morning before work.

Rep|Target|Actual
    3 Miles Easy|4:48-5:06|4:49|
    1 Mile Threshold|3:55-4:05|3:59|
    Rest|Most of 20th Century Boy|...|
    60 Mins Easy|4:48-5:06|4:49|
    1 Mile Threshold|3:55-4:05|3:59|
    Rest|Naz-Tee May'en*|...|
    Easy to 23km|4:48-5:06|4:46

The heat was a slight issue but not too much. Really happy with the two Threshold runs. I couldn't hold a mile at this pace on a track last week so holding it in the park, including weaving through a park-run on the second one, was nice to do.
    I took musical breaks after each. Sod it. It was hot and not like I was quitting, just taking the rest breaks I earned.
    Not wanting to take the mickey with work I rounded the run out to 23km so the final cool down was 2.5km. The control freak in me would have liked it to match the warm up distance but I'll get over it

*Rise up Fishbone soldiers!

8|59.99|4:50|4:00|1:56|17.91|0:40|1:05
    Total|112.76|9:00|7.95|3:51|35.80|1:20|2:06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great to have that kind of flexibility at work to get the training done. Any lead up races planned prior to Valencia?

Nothing formally planned. But I may add in a few races when I'm in the main part of the plan.
    Looking at the park run today in Shankill it might suit a 5k PB stab. I've never run a 5k so it would be a nice place to start as I'm very familiar with that park
    Ideally I'd like to see what my Half pace is like sometime in early November or late October
    It's part fear of not matching the equivalents on the tables stopping me from adding any races to the plan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Yeah, races can be a good confidence boost or a kick in the teeth! Personally i’d like to get one race in up to 10 miles to see where i’m at. Saying that I never ran a race further than 10 miles in my last two marathon cycles.

Monday

Morning - Bike - 20Mins
    An unintended trip on the turbo this morning. The swimming club have (hopefully temporarily) changed their hours to a bit later. It means the kids (and parents) aren't up at silly o'clock during the summer holidays and previously it's only been while the last few galas are played out. I'm lucky in that I work from home Monday and Friday so swims can be any reasonable time of the day. Not being in the morning plays havoc with my OCD but I'm sure I'll recover.
    It pays to have a Plan B and C so onto the turbo for 20 minutes. I had upped the recommended watts to compensate for the shorter workouts and felt like I was working harder but not so bad I'd be jellylegged later.

Afternoon - Swim - 1700m
    I nipped down to the public swim at 12. My theory being that families will show up after lunch so I might get a lane. I managed to get into a lane, lay out the intimidating bag of pool tools and off I set. Extending the duration ever so slightly to get to a consistent level is working here too. I got out of the pool feeling like I had worked but not spent myself. I was swimming 3k three days a week when training for IM70.3 so want to get near that level again, albeit over 2 days.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Morning - Bike - 20Mins
    Officially I am out of bike workouts for the week. Unofficially I might throw another one in but will keep it cautious

Afternoon - Run - Gym - 4E+2T+3 min E+1T+2 min E+1T+2E
    This wasn't great. Not a total disaster but not great all the same. I finally succumbed to the heat and struggled/walked for large portions of the Threshold parts
    The first 2 mile rep started well but I had mentally quit long before my body had. It was hot and I tried to find a shady loop but the shady loop had some spongy grass which gave my brain a way out. But, I continued after a brief walk and completed each set distance, pausing the watch for each break. To punish myself a bit more I ran the 2 x 1 mile's at more of an interval pace, allowing myself 20 seconds rest when I ran out of steam. I figure I may as well get something out of a 'disrupted' workout.
    Totalled just over 17km

Evening - Gym - 20Mins
    This was a struggle too. The gym was as hot as everywhere else so I did what I could
    I had hoped to get a quick swim in instead but the pool was full of people with the same idea to cool down. Maybe Wednesday evening might be a bit quieter

Wednesday

No morning workout. I've been a bit tired so with the short Wednesday morning swim shelved due to the swimming club change of training hours I had contemplated actually leaving the house on the bike. But come Wednesday morning I hadn't the interest so it was breakfast sitting down for once and a little bit of Breaking Bad before leaving for work (I'm slow to adopt cult shows)
    The run felt warmer than usual and my legs were heavier than usual. All could imply that it was actually warmer or I'm coming down with something. My 4 year old was in twice during the night after nightmares so that could explain the lethargy today. But, I plodded on and completed the run in about 4:50 pace. It's good to feel like sh!te but still finish what was planned.

Evening - Swim - 800m
    This was a bonus. I checked in on the way home from work and was happy to see an empty pool so the morning swim became the evening swim. Loads of 50m repeats at decreasing CSS pace. The water was glorious considering the heat and my hour commute

Good that the run felt better as you ran and you got it done. The first km or 2 of most my runs the last couple of weeks feel rubbish but generally feel good by the end. Its probably down to the muggy, warm weather.

I'm hoping that's the case. It could be similar to the way the 2nd week of a holiday drags. Enough of the sun, let's get back to the normal unpredictable weather

Thursday

Much better
    The temperature was much cooler. 20 degrees according to Garmin compared to 23 the day before.
    And a bit cloudy. I ploughed through this in a very comfortable 4:47 per km pace. Slightly faster than planned but it was more to do with running by feel and realising it was too quick than targeting that time specifically.
    I happily did nothing else today to let some of that heaviness lift

Friday

Morning - Swim - 1700m
    Not feeling great this morning but slipped down to the pool after starting work early and swam an ever so slightly longer set.
    It finished with a 400m rep at slightly higher than CSS pace which I held pace on perfectly. It was slower than what I should be capable of but I usually make a balls of these by starting off too quick so I'm learning pacing a little better

Evening - Gym - 30Mins
    Still feeling sluggish so I went for more of a vanity set. I'm conscious of the long run coming up so I did the planned reps and weights above the waist but cut the legs down by 50% so I wouldn't be carrying any fatigue into the weekend

• Advertisement

Saturday

Morning - Run - 16 Miles Steady
    I went to bed with a scratchy throat and woke up much the same.
    I'm definitely coming down with something.
    It was hot and humid even at 9am when I started out. Things were going ok, I chose a route that varied a lot so I would be in and out of shade as much as possible.
    About 10km in I felt a little bit...negative is the best way I can put it. I was sweating a lot and drinking often without filling my belly with sloshy water. Inexplicably I stopped at 15km. It was like an out of body experience, I had hit pause on the watch and stopped before I really realised what I was doing. After that the motivation was gone. I struggled on for a bit but made the call to head for home.
    I finished on 21km. I'm feeling fairly rotten now so will hopefully get a bit of decent rest tomorrow

8|59.99|4:50|4.00|1:56|17.91|0:40|1:05
    9|62.30|4:54|4.20|2:02|18.11|0:40|0:51
    Total|175.06|13:54|12.15|5:53|53.91|1:20|2:57

Monday

Sod all.
    I was not feeling great towards the end of last week and went with the 4 year old to the teddy bears picnic on Sunday and felt dreadful the whole time. I made the effort so she had a blast but I was sitting/lying/leaning at every opportunity.
    I got interrogated by some kid about my watch (920xt). He asked me if I'd go for a swim with him later so he could see how it works with swimming. The older I get the more kids gravitate towards me no matter how unfriendly I try to look - that could be the problem

Slept really badly and sweated more than usual. Woke up feeling underwater so the cold is here in full force. As I'm still technically only building a base (and I think I've got a decent one there already) I'll probably rest up for the bulk of this week.
    If the weather cools and my chest isn't too bad I might slip out for a couple of slow plods but I'll err on the side of caution for now. I've pushed through before and carried colds for 3-4 weeks, when a week of rest and Lemsip would have seen me through.
    Now, where is that chapter on returning to running after a break?

Tuesday

Snot

Wednesday

Evening - Gym - 41Mins - 30,200lbs
    I started to feel better Tuesday night and slept well so thought I'd give the gym a go in the evening if I still continued to improve.
    The strength sessions are now in the Muscular Endurance phase. Me neither but the book says it's light weights to close to fatigue. Weight is dropped to about 30% of max to begin with and reps are x 40.
    All went good and I'm glad to be moving again in some form. I'm using the jefit app to track everything. Weight lifted may be way off but it's there purely as a measure.
    I might chance a little run on Thursday and see how the lungs feel

Thursday

Afternoon - Run - 5 Miles Easy
    Feeling better still but I'm still quite chesty (I'm not really chesty in the traditional sense but I don't want to go into too much detail of how much snot I'm still producing - damn you overactive sinuses)
    Thankfully the weather is starting to calm the feck down so I got back to the plan today with 5 miles of easy pace.
    It all felt good at about 4:50 pace and to be super safe my average HR was 144 so about right for a fully fit me.
    I'll continue on with this week's plan but will knock some of the speed work for Saturday on the head in favour of long, slow distance

Evening - Bike - 20Mins
    I decided I'd do a new ramp test at the start of every month. I'm not overexerting myself on the bike as it is so I see no harm. It's a bit of fun especially when your 4 year old is watching, commenting on how little/much you're sweating, handing you dolls to mind, stealing your water etc.
    Anyway, after all that my FTP rose by a massive 1 watt.
    I'll take it. I believe in the Sky theory of marginal gains, just without the jiffy bags of unknown contents and radioactive p!ss

• Advertisement

Friday

Morning - Swim - 800m
    Still pretty chesty. I'm not sure if it's something I do or if all pools are like this but when I finish a length or set and rest at the wall I usually just have my head above the water. I know there's a certain amount of chlorine (gas? steam?) that sits on top of the water so when I'm chesty I tend to struggle with breathing.
    Long story short, this swim was cut short for that reason. Bad enough that it's a sport where breathing at all is detrimental, but I still enjoy doing it

Afternoon - Run - 5.5 Miles Easy
    This wasn't too bad at all. I'm still coughing a bit but I don't have any flu symptoms, just the after effects

Saturday

Afternoon - Run - 10km Easy
    I started to feel a bit worse late on Friday and early on Saturday. Maybe I've started to train again too soon?
    I had some family stuff that had to be done early on Saturday so I wound up out in the afternoon.
    The plan was 16 miles but I figured I'd play it safe and run 8. Once I started out though I knew it was fruitless.
    The heat was at its worst and rather than run a demoralising long run I stopped at 10k. It's not how I would have liked to round out the week but I didn't want to do more damage by ploughing ahead

10|26.90|2:09|0.80|0:21|10.90|0:27|0:41
    Total|201.96|16:03|12.95|6:14|64.81|1:47|3:38

Not where I'd like to be last week but I've got to accept colds will happen. It's how I manage them that matters

Monday

Morning - Swim - 1800m
    New week, new outlook. Feeling refreshed and ready to get back on plan. JD says I can dive straight back in if I've missed less than 5 days so I'll carry on with the plan and see how I hold up. I'm not afraid of taking some total downtime, I just don't want to resort to that yet.
    This swim was extended to 1800m as I look to swim more. I spent a decent wedge of cash on getting the video analysis done and am not really getting my money's worth by not swimming. Nothing dramatic but I need to swim more

At home today so was able to run local. Plus it wasn't too hot today either though I did feel a little heavy legged.
    Tomorrow will be a bit of test as it's a lot of intervals

Tuesday

Afternoon - Run - 4E + 6 x (1km I w/3 min jog) + 2 E
    Rep|Target|Actual
    4 Miles|4:48-5:06|4:48
    1 km|3:36-3:46|4:10
    3 Mins|Rest|Rest
    1 km|3:36-3:46|3:35
    3 Mins|Rest|Rest
    1 km|3:36-3:46|4:27
    3 Mins|Rest|Rest
    1 km|3:36-3:46|4:32
    3 Mins|Rest|Rest
    1 km|3:36-3:46|3:58
    3 Mins|Rest|Rest
    1 km|3:36-3:46|5:13
    3 Mins|Rest|Rest
    2 Miles|4:48-5:06|4:46

On the face of it, I tanked big time but I'm not looking at it like that.
    I ran these as mixed elevation laps of Corkagh Park. I hold my hands up to that, I need to learn that the track or at least a consistent loop is what is needed.
    Coming back off a bout of illness though I'm delighted to have got through these.
    The average time doesn't half rack up when you take 20 second walk breaks which are the reps where I am well above target.
    One rep below target but it was a net downhill and one quite close which did include a short walk.
    18km in total covered and legs thanking me for an easy run today but I'm over the moon to have completed this at all

Evening - Swim - 800m
    Another shortened set. This one was all swam at Red Mist pace which I handled happily. Granted the distances were short but my form is holding up

Wednesday

I really struggled to keep the pace down today. It's not a bad complaint but I don't want to accidentally overdo it.
    Maybe it's the change in weather or the knock on effect of yesterday's beating but this felt very, very easy

Evening - Gym - 30Mins - 26,440lbs
    Week 2 of the ME phase. Small weight, big reps. Feeling it a bit this morning but in a good way

Thursday

Morning - Bike - 20Mins
    Another quick, intense session. Tees up the day nicely

Easier to maintain the pace today. I think the gym session has left the legs heavier than usual

Evening - Swim - 1000m
    I experimented with the extra 200m (I've commitments I can't miss) and found I have the time. This was a good mix of drills and quick distance reps. I've got to get in the water more

After all that I was pretty tired. If I ever get the finger out I'll load the start of the week with my extra curricular stuff. My fear is I'll get to Saturday too tired to get the main workout of the week done.
    I've said I'll drop other sessions if it comes to this but I'm confident enough that an easy-ish Friday should leave me fairly fresh for Saturday

Friday

I went down for a swim in the morning but was not in any mood to do it. I was still convincing myself I would push through and just get it done when I pulled into the car park and noted a few more regulars than usual. Hello, get out of jail card.
    The pool is split into 2 lanes and the remainder open. Lane 1 had two backstrokers in it. The open part was full of the regulars. Not enough of a straight line for 'proper' swimming. Lane 2 had one guy in it. Normally I'd slip in and offer to share the lane but this one guy is a coach and although always well meaning he'll tap me on the shoulder at some point and say 'I've been watching you swim'. The rest of the session is spent getting the crap beat out of me. I'll emerge a better, stronger, quicker swimmer but will need to rest for a couple of weeks. So I took my bag of toys and went home to watch Breaking Bad.
    At lunchtime I got out for a run for 7 miles. The sun seems to have sodded off but the heat is still there. Even so, I got through this happily and towards the evening was feeling pretty positive about the weekend.

Sunday

Afternoon - Run - 11isk km Easy
    Saturday and Sunday were full of family stuff. I had planned on getting up early on Sunday and running but the bed was too easy to stay in.
    I only got out to run at 3pm on Sunday. It started ok but I very quickly faded. I got to about 10km and stopped under some trees. I checked the temp and it was 26 degrees. Suicidal. I had come equipped with water but I was feeling too tired, and being honest, despondent to continue. I looked at my totals for the previous 3 weeks and bargained with myself to get to 11.1km to make 71km for the week and then quit.
    Disappointed again but going from 27km last week to 80 odd this week was a brave plan that didn't work out

10|26.90|2:09|0.80|0:21|10.90|0:27|0:41
    11|71.00|5:41|3.60|1:51|9.10|0:20|0:31
    Total|272.96|21:44|16.55|8:05|73.91|2:07|4:09

Looking at the watch and the failure to complete my long run I saw this week as a failure but stacking it up against previous weeks I'm not far from where I want to be. One more week and base training is done and the real work starts. Then I can start to worry about missed workouts

• Advertisement
Advertisement