Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can i do with my Phonwatch system?

Options
  • 08-06-2018 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i have a phonewatch system that has run its 12month contract this month.
    Long story short i was "assured" when buying it that it would be month by month rolling contract and that even if i cut off the monitoring part of it - it would 100% still work as an APP (Set on/off and activated) just no monitoring service. More the fool me i guess for believing the salesman.

Im furious now cos i've been given the "choice" now to go again for 12months or the system will be cut off.

Have i any options here? Can someone rewire/program it that it was work for personal use - an app or text etc - alarm on /alarm activated? What about the sensors that are installed? Could they be used with another system? Or is it a paperweight?

All i want is a service that will set alarm and text like the app currently does. I don't want to go another 12months since they lied to me to get the sale.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

If it is the new system by sector alarms. You will be trown it in the bin. Because its a Honeywell panel made only for them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is this their new system with the PiR cameras?
    If so there is nothing you can do with it as you do not own the system.
    Cancel the contract while you can and ask them to remove THEIR equipment from your property.

Now, do your research and buy and install a system where you are not tied to any supplier or manufacturer..
    If you want self monitoring be careful not to get tied into more ongoing subscriptions..

Look around this forum and you will see there are plenty more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is this their new system with the PiR cameras?
    If so there is nothing you can do with it as you do not own the system.
    Cancel the contract while you can and ask them to remove THEIR equipment from your property.

Now, do your research and buy and install a system where you are not tied to any supplier or manufacturer..
    If you want self monitoring be careful not to get tied into more ongoing subscriptions..

Look around this forum and you will see there are plenty more options.

Yes it's the one with the PIR cameras. I have 20 more days to cancel. Which i will be ... if i hadn't asked in the first place specifically about this then i wouldn't mind but i questioned it multiple times. ****ing salesperson.

Get it removed, they tell you nothing and a lot in their fine print.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Infinity Loop

Hi All,

First post on Boards even though I've been reading it for years.

I too unfortunately was told last month that the system won't work without paying the almost €50 a month for the monitoring.

Yet when first signing up I was told repeatedly (as I asked to make certainly sure!) that I can cancel the monitoring but use the alarm as a standard house alarm.

I was told I'll loose the benefits such as someone calling out if a window broke and the cameras could see the house had to be secured, or the regular maintenance they'll do, etc.

Can they get away with mis-selling like this? Has anyone else been able to stand up against this terrible deceitful company?

Thank you for your help. After spending hundreds and hundreds on getting the best sensor setup it's rather shocking to now be told it was for nothing!

• Advertisement

Thanks David for getting back to me again. I understand their system and contract might be setup that way, but as they told me (door salesmen) that it would work without monitoring I think I may be able to fight them as violating the below:

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

*of merchantable quality

*fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable

*as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

Given the last point was not upheld by them, I think legally I may have grounds for a refund or replacement if they can't technically get that system to work without monitoring.

The sale people dont have a clue. Its all about the monitoring with them. They will ask for the system back. Somebody i know got a system from them in oct 2016, paid €400. Stopped payn after the year. The system was then useless.came back early feb 2017. They didnt give it back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks David for getting back to me again. I understand their system and contract might be setup that way, but as they told me (door salesmen) that it would work without monitoring I think I may be able to fight them as violating the below:

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

*of merchantable quality

*fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable

*as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

Given the last point was not upheld by them, I think legally I may have grounds for a refund or replacement if they can't technically get that system to work without monitoring.

The main problem here is you proving what the salesman said.
    They will never put it in writing.

The sale people dont have a clue. Its all about the monitoring with them. They will ask for the system back. Somebody i know got a system from them in oct 2016, paid €400. Stopped payn after the year. The system was then useless.came back early feb 2017. They didnt give it back.

I think unfortunately allowing the sales people the opportunity to say they don't have a clue is being too kind. I believe PhoneWatch allow their sales people to lie to secure a sale and hit their monthly targets. It is ridiculous that they can get away with this. I certainly won't be taking it laying down.

The main problem here is you proving what the salesman said.
    They will never put it in writing.

Indeed. Though having read through the forum it seems I'm not the only customer to believe this, so perhaps if I can establish a pattern of customers being deceived by their sales people I can show PhoneWatch for the lies they are spreading to gain a sale.

If they can let me use the alarm without the monthly fee as originally described and what I bought, then no issue, but if they insist it won't function without the expensive monitoring, then I'll fight them anyway I can. I spent more than the cost of a standard alarm at this stage. I certainly would not have done this (why would anyone?!) if I couldn't use the alarm without them.

• Advertisement

They are fitting 1000s of these at the moment, they say they are the leader in intruder alarms, thats why as you have just said. A high percenage of these will nothing be working within in a year or two.

Indeed. Though having read through the forum it seems I'm not the only customer to believe this, so perhaps if I can establish a pattern of customers being deceived by their sales people I can show PhoneWatch for the lies they are spreading to gain a sale.

If they can let me use the alarm without the monthly fee as originally described and what I bought, then no issue, but if they insist it won't function without the expensive monitoring, then I'll fight them anyway I can. I spent more than the cost of a standard alarm at this stage. I certainly would not have done this (why would anyone?!) if I couldn't use the alarm without them.

Even if they do let you use it without monitoring/maintenance fees you are still tied to them. The panel and devices are locked to them no other installer can work on those panels or service them. So when you go to them for parts they will charge you an absolute fortune because you dont have a service contract with them.

Indeed it may only last another year or two, but that's more than nothing now and I certainly can't afford to refit the house alarm this side of Xmas.

Lesson learnt: PhoneWatch lie to customers and expect to get away with it. I wish I had seen all these posts on Boards.ie before those guys turned up on the door.

I wish I had seen all these posts on Boards.ie before those guys turned up on the door.

Not the first time I have heard that .. The best defense against marketing machines like these is play them at their own game. Pass it on as much as you can.
    After that TALK TO JOE

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There seems to be a common theme with these PhoneWatch threads.......:(

Update -
    I got my system uninstalled.
    Joke of a company - they told me over the phone that the equipment was MINE so i said grand, i'll remove it and put it in the bin - no they said you need to get a qualified engineer to uninstall it - 80 Euro! So i asked for a manager and said it was either being uninstalled by me in 48hrs or they'd better get someone to get out here - all of a sudden it was done by them. (Obviously the equipment was not mine but hey different person on phone different answer)

I got numerous calls for their customer support centre - Offered less money, 39 pm, 35pm, 32pm and then 29.99pm ... i refused flat out and mentioned once more the LIES that the salesperson told me. The guy said there were loads of complaints of the same thing and that they were now getting people to phone in before installation for recorded calls to explain the finer details. No good to me now.

Lesson learned ... go write down what you are looking for. Get 3 different companies out, get 3 different quotes. Ask for exactly what YOU want not what they are willing to install.

Phonewatch - joke of a company.

.. go write down what you are looking for. Get 3 different companies out, get 3 different quotes. Ask for exactly what YOU want not what they are willing to install.

All good advice. Unfortunately many people are blinded by the price & the brand.
    Thought the bit about a qualified engineer uninstalling it was funny. Their guys are just fitters. Were your PiRs screwed up or just on Velcro?

All good advice. Unfortunately many people are blinded by the price & the brand.
    Thought the bit about a qualified engineer uninstalling it was funny. Their guys are just fitters. Were your PiRs screwed up or just on Velcro?

Screwed in - the "Engineer" was actually a guy i knew through the family - pity he wasn't the one that installed it! Could help but apologize but sure it wasn't his fault.

It'd taken me about 5mins to de-install it - i'd love to have seen their faces when it was all sitting in the porch in a box!

All behind me now ... just hope that others don't get duped into the bull****!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Was there much damage to all your walls from the screws from the PIRs, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, in pretty much the same position myself with PW, trying to tie me into another 12 months or else. My problem is I don’t think I have enough in the budget to get a new system fitted currently. What sort of price would I be looking at for install and monitoring from a reputable company? I’d love to tell PW where to stick it?

• Advertisement

For a fully wireless system you would be starting around €800.
    Monitoring can be set up not or at a later date. many reputable company's offer rolling contracts so you are not tied into long term commitments.
    Its also important to note , that tactic where you must opt out or your contract automatically renews for another year, is called Inertia Selling. Its illegal in Ireland AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Just came across this thread as Phonewatch were in my parents' house this evening and said the exact same thing - tried to sell them the system for 39 a month and that it could be used without monitoring after a year. Needless to say I've just rung them to tell them not to sign up. Thanks for this thread. Shocking practice.

It wont be able to be used without monitoring. And even if €400 WAS paid gor the system its not yours. Keep away from phone watch. Sale people are telling you lies.

Just a heads up, if you've been missold the PhoneWatch system by a salesperson telling you the system will work without the monthly payment for monitoring at the end of your contract, then they legally *must* provide the system as agreed upon.

I now have the latest PhoneWatch alarm system (wireless with cameras) without monitoring and it works. Just don't give up and continue to fight for your rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

FGS the theme with these threads is inevitably the same. Unfortunately in our business, customers are slipping into the trap of believing the PW salespeople and marketing campaigns. Whats needed here is someone with deep pockets to take them on with false advertising claims. I`m really disappointed the Private Security Authority don`t do something about it, seems they are only interested in collecting their licence fees from us installers.

Like an OP said, consult the PSA register in your area, select 3 installers and get quotes first, don`t buy on the doorstep EVER

The PSA are afraid of any fight or court action. They won't even prosecute end users for breaking the law. They certainly haven't the bottle or the stomach for a fight with the PW legal team.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Irene ODaniel

Just a heads up, if you've been missold the PhoneWatch system by a salesperson telling you the system will work without the monthly payment for monitoring at the end of your contract, then they legally *must* provide the system as agreed upon.

I now have the latest PhoneWatch alarm system (wireless with cameras) without monitoring and it works. Just don't give up and continue to fight for your rights!

Hi! I was told the same, that the system will work without monitoring but when I cancelled the contract, it stopped working.

I went to chat online and they ''apologised''.

What did you do to get it work again?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AnthonyOD1987

i"m glad i came across this post, salesman at my door tonight did a good salesjob, but after reading this, will be a cancellation on monday morning

Glad to hear. A bit of information can be a great help. If you do the maths this is actually the most expensive system you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Jennyalison

Did you get any joy I have the system still fitted but not working

Advertisement