Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercity warranty, refunds, returns?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭FamousBelgian

davo10 wrote: »
    You might post a photo of the manual which says it should not be opaque and a link to the particular microwave.

Where did I say that the manual says the door should not be opaque? What sort of manual would say that? I said that the troubleshooting section says to check if the light is on during cooking. That was not possible with the unit I got. It also warns to check for arcing. Also not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

. However the user manual makes it clear that the door glass should not be opaque..

There?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

However the user manual makes it clear that the door glass should not be opaque.
    Where did I say that the manual says the door should not be opaque? What sort of manual would say that? .

Is this a piss take?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

There?

So how would I observe the light during cooking if the door was opaque?

Is this a piss take?

Would a user manual say something like 'the door should be opaque'? Did you seriously think that I said that? Did you?

The manual says: Does the oven lamp come on when it is cooking?

Does that suggest to you that an opaque door is likely to be fitted to the unit?

• Advertisement

So how would I observe the light during cooking if the door was opaque?

The light is on, but there is nobody home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I bought a microwave from Power City a few years ago . We got home and the baby bottle steriliser wouldn't fit in it . I went back and explained my dilemma and they couldn't have been more helpful
    At no stage did I think it my right as I hadn't specified it was for the steriliser
    They suggested I physically bring the steriliser with me and try it in any microwave I fancy
    They went out of their way to be accomadating but maybe because I was well aware that it was not their fault but mine

You're the one that doesn't understand the difference between dark and opaque, and 'says' and 'makes it clear'.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I bought a microwave from Power City a few years ago . We got home and the baby bottle steriliser wouldn't fit in it . I went back and explained my dilemma and they couldn't have been more helpful
    At no stage did I think it my right as I hadn't specified it was for the steriliser
    They suggested I physically bring the steriliser with me and try it in any microwave I fancy
    They went out of their way to be accomadating but maybe because I was well aware that it was not their fault but mine

Fine, I didn't criticise Powercity as a retailer. Just the peculiar situation I was in regards change of mind .vs. defect and the non-applicability of an EU law in IRL.

How can you tell if the windows are opaque?

• Advertisement

Fine, I didn't criticise Powercity as a retailer. Just the peculiar situation I was in regards change of mind .vs. defect and the non-applicability of an EU law in IRL.

But there is no EU law that entitles you to your money back for change of mind. You said you "brought it back". Perhaps you are confusing distance selling with buying it in a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I'm starting to think it was not the microwave that was defective 🙄🙄

My point was they were well within their rights not to replace my microwave .

But there is no EU law that entitles you to your money back for change of mind. You said you "brought it back". Perhaps you are confusing distance selling with buying it in a shop.

The EU law was about the 2 year warranty. It doesn't seem to apply in Ireland.

The change of mind is indeed related to distance selling and if I had bought something that was not displayed in store I would be trying to use that to support a claim. Since Argos seems to have such a policy in IRL I was wondering how that was with other retailers. In Holland many retailers offer change of mind just to compete with online sellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The change of mind is indeed related to distance selling and if I had bought something that was not displayed in store I would be trying to use that to support a claim. Since Argos seems to have such a policy in IRL I was wondering how that was with other retailers. In Holland many retailers offer change of mind just to compete with online sellers.

Irish law is deemed to offer better protection than EU law, hence why it's not inacted here.

Some companies will exchange or refund in cases of change of mind but it is only a goodwill gesture.

This is not holland.

At the end of the day, the store allowed you to get a different microwave so all worked out. As to whether an opaque window is "defective" is a different matter. The screen on mine is and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Weird thread - says s/he doesn't know the law then argues with everyone responding quoting some "made up" law about expectations of what was expected from a fully functioning microwave
    Don't think I've ever in my life put something in a microwave and watched it intently for 10 minutes to make sure it's not overcooking - then again I read the instructions about how long to cook it...

Maybe before buying anything again you should check online reviews
    Returning anything you opened and tried and didn't like is totally at the discretion of the retailer - up to you to do due diligence if the appliance meets your demands

"Offer" is different to "right", you were offered a change of mind by Powercity, same as in Holland.

Distance selling relates to items bought on line, not bought in a shop. Your " claim" would fail on that very obvious (to everyone) technically.

I really feel for retail staff and businesses having to deal with this crap.

Owryan wrote: »
    Irish law is deemed to offer better protection than EU law, hence why it's not inacted here.

Some companies will exchange or refund in cases of change of mind but it is only a goodwill gesture.

This is not holland.

At the end of the day, the store allowed you to get a different microwave so all worked out. As to whether an opaque window is "defective" is a different matter. The screen on mine is and it works fine.

This is not holland. That's apparent from the moment the plane touches down.:)

That's why I was asking because I had assumed this was the same everywhere now. The store did indeed let me choose something else but I think only because I had already called their central number. The folks in the store were suspicious and then they gave me something which I suspect they knew had cosmetic damage.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Weird thread - says s/he doesn't know the law then argues with everyone responding quoting some "made up" law about expectations of what was expected from a fully functioning microwave
    Don't think I've ever in my life put something in a microwave and watched it intently for 10 minutes to make sure it's not overcooking - then again I read the instructions about how long to cook it...

Maybe before buying anything again you should check online reviews
    Returning anything you opened and tried and didn't like is totally at the discretion of the retailer - up to you to do due diligence if the appliance meets your demands

What 'made up' law was I arguing about? EU law?

If you've never peered through the door of a microwave oven to check on things, or had an elderly relative who wants to do that, then good for you.
    I did check online reviews and the user manual and I did my due diligence before purchase. Having a non-opaque door is not a peculiar demand of mine; there might be a reason every oven has that (except for a few sold only in Ireland).

So I returned the thing, chose a lower spec model that *was* on display and found it to have been slightly damaged in transit but with a properly made door. No biggie. I probably won't go there again.
    The folks in the store were suspicious and then they gave me something which I suspect they knew had cosmetic damage

Make your mind up about what it is you bought...buy anything that was on display and it's buyer beware and "comes as is" - bumps, scratches and all, ffs it was on display

Very petty of you to now avoid the store because of something you personally didn't like about a product

• Advertisement

Having a non-opaque door is not a peculiar demand of mine; there might be a reason every oven has that (except for a few sold only in Ireland).

Which reminds me I need to clean the oven doors, can't see if the chicken is cooked they're so caked over with grease - wouldn't want to have it overcooked

Make your mind up about what it is you bought...buy anything that was on display and it's buyer beware and "comes as is" - bumps, scratches and all, ffs it was on display

Very petty of you to now avoid the store because of something you personally didn't like about a product

The one I got wasn't *the* display item. Where did I say i bought a display item? where did I say I am now avoiding the store? I said I *probably* wouldn't go back there if there were better policies elsewhere which is what I was trying to ascertain.

I bought an item if which they had 13 in stock. Somehow they found one in a dirty box and with a dent on the door.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Power City will be secretly a little pleased he / she is not coming back

What 'made up' law was I arguing about? EU law?
    Warranty is relevant because it covers reasonable expectations. It is reasonable to expect that a given microwave oven has a non-opaque door.

Do you read your own posts?

Jaysus - troll in the making but not very good at it yet

Do you read your own posts?

Jaysus - troll in the making but not very good at it yet

Have you read the EU law I linked to? It's not made up.

Have you read the EU law I linked to? It's not made up.

No EU law says because you didn't like something you have the right to return it - simple as and pointed out multiple times in this thread.
    Reasonable expectation of a product is to do what it says on the tin, for example, buying a TV and expecting to be able to watch TV on it.

Anyway, seems like you have some big gripe with PowerCity that you want to diverge everyone from ever going to.
    Multiple comments contradicting yourself all the way.

Only problem I've ever had with PowerCity is that the floor staff are not the most informed about what they are selling.

No EU law says because you didn't like something you have the right to return it - simple as and pointed out multiple times in this thread.
    Reasonable expectation of a product is to do what it says on the tin, for example, buying a TV and expecting to be able to watch TV on it.

Anyway, seems like you have some big gripe with PowerCity that you want to diverge everyone from ever going to.
    Multiple comments contradicting yourself all the way.

Only problem I've ever had with PowerCity is that the floor staff are not the most informed about what they are selling.

First up I don't have a gripe with Powercity and I am not trying to blacken their name. I only described my experience and asked about their warranty in comparison to others. What you say is defamatory

As for reasonable expectations of course this is always going to be open to interpretation. When I do my due diligence here I find complaints about stuff I think is trivial but I don't tell some guy that he could just fix his computer himself 13 months after purchase or that a failing battery life on an iPhone is no big deal.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Power City will be secretly a little pleased he / she is not coming back

Why do you say that? You are insinuating that I was a difficult customer.

I did not make any trouble for these guys. I bought something, returned it unused, paid a few euro extra and ran off with my tail between my legs with what they gave me. Later they may find that indeed the item i returned had a problem; why do you assume otherwise?

As for reasonable expectations of course this is always going to be open to interpretation. When I do my due diligence here I find complaints about stuff I think is trivial

At least you've answered your own question now

• Advertisement

At least you've answered your own question now
    Which question was that? I asked why a retailer in IRL had a different warranty term than that in EU law. Where did I answer that?

I made it clear what my reasonable expectation was and why I was returning the item. To me it was a defect and in my opinion it was reason enough to return the item. I didn't look for a refund or anything for free. But I don't expect to be bludgeoned into accepting something I consider defective because someone else thinks it's trivial and I wouldn't dismiss someone who couldn't fix their own computer after 13 months either.

Advertisement