Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new customer

Options
  • 08-06-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking of joining eir as a new customer.

Was quoted broadband and phone with eir sports for 6 months at 35 euro a month and 6 at 40 for 6 remaining months on 12 month contract. Speeds of up to 90mbps and 1000GB limit.

Deal also included a free installation by engineer at my house.

I'm currently with Virgin and getting 240mb actual download with no limit. Virgin also provided a phone handset free of charge. Before proceeding I'd like to get the following answered:

1) What will my typical speed be? up to 90 is too vague for me, we have lots of steaming subscriptions, sky, amazon, Netflix with phone/tablet etc and currently have no issues with virgin speed. We also have nest streaming video camera's which provide video to cloud storage so speed is very important to us.

2) Can I run the Eir supplied router/modem in 'bridged' mode  so I can continue to use my ASUS AC router for wifi in the house?

3) This was promised me but I'm unclear on it, that the engineer would place the equipment at location of choosing in my house at no extra charge?

4) Will Eir supply me with a free handset?

5) Will I qualify for the 100 euro cashback offer I've seen mentioned online?

That's it for now, apart from to say the online chat re was extremely pushy to get me to sign up there and then. They obviously wanted a sale.

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Also if I do sign up and the speeds are sufficient can I cancel with no penalty in first 14 days?
    Thanks,
    Mick

One more :) Eir sales tell me my existing virgin media handset will work with eir service? Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Mick

I should really stop :) 

Last one for now.. what model router/model is supplied in installations?

Thanks,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi mick_address,

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately we couldn't advise what type of speeds you would be looking at from here. In order to find this out I would recommend contacting our sales team on 1901 so they can check your location and run a test on your line if possible.

In relation to the modem, our Technical team have advised that yes you can do this if you wish and they will be able to assist you with this over the phone (1890 260 260) but our engineer would be unable to set this up. We also can't guarantee that the engineer will be able to set up at a location of your choosing.

We do not supply free landline handsets I'm afraid however you can purchase one from our website should you wish. Our online offers are only available via the eir website only and not through any other sales channel.

https://www.eir.ie/bundles/

Thanks,

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

It is the F2000 modem.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Advertisement

eir: Sarah wrote: »
    It is the F2000 modem.

Thanks,

Sarah
    Thanks Sarah,
    There's a few more questions there if you have time

Around installation and if the virgin media handset will work with eir service? Sales have advised it will. Can you also answer on the return before 14 days if speeds aren't what I need?

Thanks,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

eir: Sarah wrote: »
    It is the F2000 modem.

Thanks,

Sarah
    Thanks Sarah,
    There's a few more questions there if you have time

Around installation and if the virgin media handset will work with eir service? Sales have advised it will. Can you also answer on the return before 14 days if speeds aren't what I need?

Thanks,
    Mick
    Hi Mick, 

I'm afraid Sarah is not in today. 

I can confirm the Virgin handset should work as long as it has an RJ-11 phone connection on it.  You will have a 14-day cooling period to change your mind if you wish, so if the speeds are not what you need you can contact us within the 14 days from connection to cancel it. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font]

Hi Mick, 

I can confirm the Virgin handset should work as long as it has an RJ-11 phone connection on it.  You will have a 14-day cooling period to change your mind if you wish, so if the speeds are not what you need you can contact us within the 14 days from connection to cancel it. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi folks,
    Eir broadband and phone installed today. All going well. I want to port my landline number from virgin media to eir line. How do I get that done?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hi Mick, 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi folks,
    Eir broadband and phone installed today. All going well. I want to port my landline number from virgin media to eir line. How do I get that done?
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Hi micks_address ,

In order to have this processed, you will need to contact our support team on 1901.

Thanks

Thomas

Hi micks_address ,

In order to have this processed, you will need to contact our support team on 1901.

Thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas, is there a local number I can dial instead of 1901?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

As you said you use alot of streaming services I'd advise to calculate your usage for first couple of days to see if you're likely to go over the 1tb limit because if you do, you will be charged a hefty sum. You don't want to find out 1tb isn't enough after cooling off period.

spix wrote: »
    As you said you use alot of streaming services I'd advise to calculate your usage for first couple of days to see if you're likely to go over the 1tb limit because if you do, you will be charged a hefty sum. You don't want to find out 1tb isn't enough after cooling off period.

Thanks I checked our vm usage over last couple of months and it's typically below 500 gb so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

Hi micks_address ,

Thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas, is there a local number I can dial instead of 1901?
    Thanks,
    Mick
    1901 is a freephone number.

1901 is a freephone number.

Yes but can't phone from abroad or sometimes through company switch. Got sorted anyways

Hi folks,
    Case opened to port number from virgin media to new eir connection. Any idea how long it will take? Customer care seemed very unsure.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Hi folks,
    Case opened to port number from virgin media to new eir connection. Any idea how long it will take? Customer care seemed very unsure.
    Thanks,
    Mick
    It will change over within the next 24 hours.

Thanks

Thomas

It will change over within the next 24 hours.

Thanks

Thomas

For landlines Thomas? Are you sure? I requested yesterday around lunchtime and still not ported.
    Thanks,
    Mick

For landlines Thomas? Are you sure? I requested yesterday around lunchtime and still not ported.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Not ported yet anyway. Hopefully will be early next week as I want to cancel my virgin media service.

Thanks,
    Mick

Not ported yet anyway. Hopefully will be early next week as I want to cancel my virgin media service.
    Hi micks_address ,

Apologies I explained the timeframe of a mobile port.

In regards to porting a landline, We aim to ensure that your move to eir will be a seamless process with no loss in service.

Activating your eir service will take up to 10 working days. This timeframe takes into account situations where you may need a new eir line installed in your home.

Thanks

Thomas

Thanks,
    Mick

Hi micks_address ,

Apologies I explained the timeframe of a mobile port.

In regards to porting a landline, We aim to ensure that your move to eir will be a seamless process with no loss in service.

Activating your eir service will take up to 10 working days. This timeframe takes into account situations where you may need a new eir line installed in your home.

Thanks

Thomas
    Thanks Thomas,
    I phoned customer care who said my port request from last Thursday was set up incorrectly so the rep took the details again and said it should take no more than 5 working days. You do get the feeling that landlines are an afterthought at this stage for sure.. Guess its sign of the times.

Hopefully it get sorted in coming days as its costing me to have both virgin and eir services running. I'm also hoping there won't be any issues with the port as I don't want to have to cancel eir service within cooling off period.

I was worried about eir broadband speeds. With virgin I got consistent 230mbps.. in fairness to eir im getting close to 80 on every speed test. It drops to mid 60s some evenings around 8pm but ive had no issues with any streaming etc yet..

Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    I can't see my broadband usage on myeir app or website. Can you help? Id like to track my usage during cooling off period.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Hi folks,
    I can't see my broadband usage on myeir app or website. Can you help? Id like to track my usage during cooling off period.
    Thanks,
    Mick
    I would reccomend contacting our support team on 1901 to have this investigated further.

We cannot troubleshoot this through this channel.

Thanks

Thomas

Advertisement