Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage cert query

• 08-06-2018 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have signed up to findmypast and its a fantastic source of information.

I have two queries, that I was hoping someone might be able to help with:

1. It appears the mother's name does not appear on marriage certs or indexes. Is there any reason for this?

2. While researching for details on my great grandparents, I noticed my great grandfather had "pensioner" as his occupation, even though he was likely to be in his early 30s and two years later he was fighting in World War 1.

Is there any reason why he would be classed as "pensioner"? It seems very odd for someone so young to be classed as this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

....Sorry, I meant to say also that this was the occupation that was entered on the same marriage cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He could have been a pensioner from the police, or another job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It would be a good idea to have a read of our sticky, which covers a lot of basic info.

Mothers' names were not included on marriage certs until 1956.

Pensioner usually means army pensioner, but as Spurious says, it could be the police too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It would be a good idea to have a read of our sticky, which covers a lot of basic info.

Mothers' names were not included on marriage certs until 1956.

Pensioner usually means army pensioner, but as Spurious says, it could be the police too.

okay, thanks again for the advice guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Meursault wrote: »
    I noticed my great grandfather had "pensioner" as his occupation, even though he was likely to be in his early 30s and two years later he was fighting in World War 1.

Is there any reason why he would be classed as "pensioner"? It seems very odd for someone so young to be classed as this.

Army pensioners were on half pay, but could be called up immediately in the event of war. This is why your ancestor was fighting in the Great War.

It is impossible to quantify, but it is often said that a majority of the Irish soldiers in WW1, were those called up from half pay, who had been regular soldiers in the army before, during or after the Boer War.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'm not 100% on this, but 'Half Pay' was available only for officers? I think that those who had served in the army were classed as 'reservists' for a period of years and were the first to be recalled in time of war . I do know that Kitchener in the early stages of WW1 wanted to keep the trained men back from the fighting as they were too valuable - he wanted them to train raw recruits.

This is very helpful. Thanks again guys. My great grandfather was actually born in to the army. He was born in Hong Kong. His father was also a soldier and I believe his mother was a nurse in the army. I believe they were stationed in India, but I've had no luck tracing them, other than confirmation that they were in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

Meursault wrote: »
    ... I believe they were stationed in India, but I've had no luck tracing them, other than confirmation that they were in the army.

The website of the Families in British India society may be worth a look: https://www.fibis.org

cat_r wrote: »
    The website of the Families in British India society may be worth a look: https://www.fibis.org

Thanks a million. I'll take a look.

Advertisement