Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sucker? Weed?

Options
  • 08-06-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

Could someone identify the thing on the left? It reminds me of a rose sucker, but I can't find anything about dahlia suckers!

The root is parted in 2, and one side is going towards the dahlia root.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Looks like a silver birch seedling to me.

Nothing to do with the dahlia anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Looks like a silver birch seedling to me.

Nothing to do with the dahlia anyway.

Well my god, I never thought of that! I do have a silver birch in the garden.

Thanks a mil for clearing that up for me!

You're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think its a silver birch, its one of those yokes that seeds all over the place and does not have an identity. At least I have never been able to figure it out. It always seems as though its some sort of damson type thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Silver birch are right little fsuckers for sure if mother tree nearby....

• Advertisement

I knew there had to be a parent tree in the vicinity, I just left it up to the op to confirm as such.

The white spots on the stem are a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah, yes, you know what, I have a silver birch in the garden, things are beginning to become clearer...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I knew there had to be a parent tree in the vicinity, I just left it up to the op to confirm as such.

The white spots on the stem are a dead giveaway.

I don't know why, but I never expected to see a tree growing from a small-ish pot :D

looksee wrote: »
    Ah, yes, you know what, I have a silver birch in the garden, things are beginning to become clearer...

:)

Every day is a school day for all of us (see my post on a misidentification of Beschorneria).

The important thing is never be afraid to express your opinion!

Advertisement